Droid Pro Battery Life

eus107709

Reaction score
I may have to and let them keep it too. Will try to condition the Android battery monitor. It helped my previous Droid when I would install new ROMs. I hate that i have to resort to this with a new phone though.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I may have to and let them keep it too. Will try to condition the Android battery monitor. It helped my previous Droid when I would install new ROMs. I hate that i have to resort to this with a new phone though.

You could just always trade with me and my Droid X. :)

thedose

Reaction score
The reason the battery dies out is because apps are running in the background. The following apps are ALWAYS self-launching and I close them out in menu>applications>running services

socialwidgetprovier$
weatherservice
weatherwirdgetprovider
statuswidgetprovider$
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile

I just rooted my phone and am trying to find a way to get rid of this crapware.... any tips will be greatly appreciated.

BubbaRob

Reaction score
The reason the battery dies out is because apps are running in the background. The following apps are ALWAYS self-launching and I close them out in menu>applications>running services

socialwidgetprovier$
weatherservice
weatherwirdgetprovider
statuswidgetprovider$
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile

I just rooted my phone and am trying to find a way to get rid of this crapware.... any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Once you root you can download Titanium Backup Pro ($5.50 or so) and "Freeze" those apps within that program. You can also use a root file explorer and rename the .apk files and add a .bak to them which will stop them from loading. I would not recommend this until a recovery file is available.

The only issue is that there are no sbf recovery files available as of yet so if you brick your phone, you're out of luck. I have successfully "froze" Skype, Amazon, CityID, Print to Retail, Quickoffice, and Talk using Titanium Backup pro. Battery life is still ok for me, didn't seem to matter.

I am not going to do much more until a recovery is made. Too risky for me.

Last edited:

thedose

Reaction score

socialwidgetprovier$
weatherservice
weatherwirdgetprovider
statuswidgetprovider$
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile

Once you root you can download Titanium Backup Pro ($5.50 or so) and "Freeze" those apps within that program. You can also use a root file explorer and rename the .apk files and add a .bak to them which will stop them from loading.

The only issue is that there are no sbf recovery files available as of yet so if you brick your phone, you're out of luck. I have successfully "froze" Skype, Amazon, CityID, Print to Retail, Quickoffice, and Talk using Titanium Backup pro. battery life is still ok for me, didn't seem to matter.

How hard is it to do this freeze?

I just installed Titanium Backup and now am trying to figure this out

thanks for the quick response! dancedroid

BubbaRob

Reaction score

socialwidgetprovier$
weatherservice
weatherwirdgetprovider
statuswidgetprovider$
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile

Once you root you can download Titanium Backup Pro ($5.50 or so) and "Freeze" those apps within that program. You can also use a root file explorer and rename the .apk files and add a .bak to them which will stop them from loading.

The only issue is that there are no sbf recovery files available as of yet so if you brick your phone, you're out of luck. I have successfully "froze" Skype, Amazon, CityID, Print to Retail, Quickoffice, and Talk using Titanium Backup pro. battery life is still ok for me, didn't seem to matter.

How hard is it to do this freeze?

I just installed Titanium Backup and now am trying to figure this out

thanks for the quick response! dancedroid

You need the "Pro" version. Once you have that run it and select the "Backup/Restore" tab. From there you will see a list of ALL the programs on the phone, including system apps so be careful messing with them. When you touch one of them, you will see the option to "Freeze" or even "Uninstall" it. Don't uninstall it!!! It may make your phone not boot. Use at your own risk.

Also when you "freeze" one of the apps, it will also be removed from your apps drawer so don't be alarmed. I wouldn't freeze anything that might even remotely resemble a system app.

Last edited:

livspop

Reaction score
I forgot to charge my phone last night, leaving it around 50%. I woke up in the morning and it was completely drained. That tells me that the phone is using too much battery when idle. In contrast, my rooted Droid hardly used any battery when idle. I have a screenshot of it at 60-70% power after 24 hours.. I didn't use it much that weekend.

Hopefully we can figure out what is killing the battery when idle...

How have things been since this post? I've had the phone for three nights and when I went to bed last might I, too, had a 50% charge and woke up with a dead phone. Can't have that happening. Never had that issue with the inc. The only thing I can think is that the weak wife signal dragged the battery down? Again, the inc wife signal in my room was three bars but I get one or none with the DP. Thought maybe it was a meter issue but maybe it IS the signal?

BubbaRob

Reaction score
Ok I've gotten a little more courage and was also able to "freeze" these programs below without incident. After a reboot, none of them are running per System Panel app from the market.

Backup Assistant 1.0
Backup Assistant 2.2
DLNA
Help Center
News 2.2
News and Weather 2.2
Social Networking 2.2
Social Status 2.2
Weather 2.2

Obviously if you use any of the above you will NOT want to "Freeze" them.

Last edited:

BubbaRob

Reaction score

socialwidgetprovier$
weatherservice
weatherwirdgetprovider
statuswidgetprovider$
calendarwidgetprovider
skype mobile

Since I have froze all the apps, none of the services you show here are running any longer...maybe we are getting somewhere now..:icon_eek:

BubbaRob

Reaction score
If someone has time and could post a list of all the applications listed as runnning on their stock, unrooted, unmodified Droid Pro, I would appreciate it. I'm curious as to how many I stopped by freezing the apps and I did not make a list or check it before I started.

Settings > Applications > Running Services, is where to find them.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Fyi - While I make no reps and warranties, I deleted a bunch of stuff via Titanium last night and have experienced not problems (thus far) -
-Magic Smoke Wallpepers
-Sound Recorder
-Live Wallpaper Picker
-City ID
-News and Weather
-Yahoo Contacts
-News
-3G Mobile Hotspot
-Home scree tips
-Stickie Note
-Voicemail
-Skype mobile
-VZ Navigator

I initially "froze" and ran for a half a day and then decided to "delete"

BubbaRob

Reaction score
Fyi - While I make no reps and warranties, I deleted a bunch of stuff via Titanium last night and have experienced not problems (thus far) -
-Magic Smoke Wallpepers
-Sound Recorder
-Live Wallpaper Picker
-City ID
-News and Weather
-Yahoo Contacts
-News
-3G Mobile Hotspot
-Home scree tips
-Stickie Note
-Voicemail
-Skype mobile
-VZ Navigator

I initially "froze" and ran for a half a day and then decided to "delete"

Has it made any difference for you as of yet? Thanks for the info.

eus107709

Reaction score
I haven't run that test since my last post. Buuuut, my wife still has the original Droid (unrooted) and we had the same usage today. We both barely touched our phones and while my Pro is at 20% after 13 hours hers is at 60%. Very aggravating.

My rooted Droid idles at a lower clock rate of 200 instead of 400 and i have no doubt it would still be at 80% given the same usage.

Very frustrating.. will be leaving the country soon. Am counting on this phone to get me through my trip. I guess now i have an excuse not to answer my work emails :) yea....

joker402

Reaction score
thats kinda wired, my D1 had good battery life and all the reviews point to the DP (i know sounds dirty) having good battery life since it has a smaller screen.

jhalsey205

Reaction score
Well, the real test will come on Monday during real world testing. My preliminary observation suggests improved battery life, but...

In the course of 48 hours, I have

-added the extended battery
-turned off global roaming
-used SetCPU to scale my CPU to 300 when the screen is off
-installed Auto Memory Manager - set to aggressive
-frozen or deleted stuff i never use.

So while expect to see improved battery life, it will be hard to nail the source.

It will take a little time, but once I establish a baseline, i will switch back to the regular batter for comparison. In a separate test I will see in the global roaming makes an impact.

Last edited: