Droid Newbie Questions

soccer568

Reaction score
Alrite my first question is what do people mean when they say the have a bugless beast or any other things like that?

Is this phone the Droid or the Android?

I checked my os version and it says i have 2.01,how do i get 2.1?

I installed this app called weather widget and i cant find it anywhere in my phone not even under widgets?

dtartini

Reaction score
Alrite my first question is what do people mean when they say the have a bugless beast or any other things like that?

I installed this app called weather widget and i cant find it anywhere in my phone not even under widgets?

Bugless Beast is a custom ROM (an altered version of the operating system). The phone is the Droid. Android is the name of the operating system. 2.1 still isnt technically out for everyone but you can get a custom ROM based on the leaked 2.1 OTA. For the widget, longpress your desktop, choose widgets. It should be listed. If its not reinstall the app.

eliassami5

Reaction score
When someone says that they mean their phone is rooted (think jailbroken iphone..but 100x better) and that they have installed a custom ROM on their phone. Bugless Beast is a ROM, Droid Mod is a ROM, Ultimate Droid is a ROM, etc.

This phone is a DROID, the operating system it runs on is called Android. Like the HTC HD2 is a phone, but it runs on windows 6.5 operating system.

2.1 has not yet been released but it should be out very soon. You can get leaked versions by rooting your phone and installing one of the custom ROMs tho.

the other guy answered that one

OP
S

soccer568

Reaction score
Thank you to the people who anwered my questions.
I have one more though if i was to root my droid would i be able to put it back to normal. Like you would on an iphone or itouch by just restoring it?

bomber889

Reaction score
Thank you to the people who anwered my questions.
I have one more though if i was to root my droid would i be able to put it back to normal. Like you would on an iphone or itouch by just restoring it?

You can unroot it but I'm not sure if you can keep all your data.

OP
S

soccer568

Reaction score
What if i was to take it back to verizon for some reason
Would they be able to tell if it was rooted.If they did would be in trouble or would i not be in trouble because the os is an open source os.

bomber889

Reaction score
Well rooting does destroy the warranty I'm pretty sure so you should unroot it if you do take it back to verizon.

OP
S

soccer568

Reaction score
alrite thank you is their a way to get paid apps for free just like on the iphone or would i have to root the droid to do that?

bomber889

Reaction score
Even if you root your droid you still can not get free paid apps. I don't support piracy as many devs work hard and spend a lot of time on their apps.

pjo1966

Reaction score
I have a newbie question as well:

I know the home screens are based on a 4x4 grid. Is there anyway to override that? The time and weather widget I use isn't quite 2 rows high. It's more like 1 1/2. As a result, theres a wide gap between that and my next widget. Is there a way to move them closer together?

eliassami5

Reaction score
I have a newbie question as well:

I know the home screens are based on a 4x4 grid. Is there anyway to override that? The time and weather widget I use isn't quite 2 rows high. It's more like 1 1/2. As a result, theres a wide gap between that and my next widget. Is there a way to move them closer together?

there is an app in the market called "more icons widget" it allows you to have many more icons on your screen than the standard 12 slots per page. As far as dividing the grids up to be able to get the icons closer to the widget, then that is not possible.

pjo1966

Reaction score
More Icons is very cool! I just completely reorganized all my home screens. They look much cleaner now. Thanks!

OP
S

soccer568

Reaction score
I have another question now a guy on this forum said i could root my phone with dmupdater.He then said if i wanted to unroot my phone i would be able to.If i did this wouldnt my warranty still be intact?

dtartini

Reaction score
I have another question now a guy on this forum said i could root my phone with dmupdater.He then said if i wanted to unroot my phone i would be able to.If i did this wouldnt my warranty still be intact?

Technically no because the act of rooting the phone voids the warranty. If you unrooted later on though I doubt verizon would know you had rooted. I don't suggest trying to pull a fast one on verizon though.