Droid lip

jhom

Reaction score
I've had my Motorola Droid for over 2 months, and I am enjoying it thoroughly. While I wanted the physical keyboard offered with the Motorola, I have been wondering why Motorola designed the phone with the lip. Other than having a place for the Verizon logo, it serves no functional purpose to the user. Did Motorola need the extra room to cram in some additional electronics? Or, is it something less?

xliderider

Reaction score
The microphone lives there.......

The microphone lives there.......

And the WiFi antenna.

The radio antenna is there as well. The Moto engineers needed a place to put the antennas that wasn't completely surrounded by the aluminum housing of the Droid. A full metal housing around a radio antenna shields it from radio signals, it is called the Faraday effect. So the "chin" is a necessary engineering design element.

jacobrv

Reaction score
Plus, it's a good spot to put your thumb without hitting the touch buttons. I don't often hold by Droid in a manner that requires it, but when I do I'm glad it's there.

Journeyman

Reaction score
The radio antenna is there as well. The Moto engineers needed a place to put the antennas that wasn't completely surrounded by the aluminum housing of the Droid. A full metal housing around a radio antenna shields it from radio signals, it is called the Faraday effect. So the "chin" is a necessary engineering design element.

Is it aluminum? The battery cover feels like steel to me, but what do I know about metal.

OSX2000

Reaction score
It's also the easiest way of figuring out your phone's orientation by touch, say, in a dark room.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's where I place my drinks...dancedroid

theecigarman

Reaction score
The lip of the Droid is for all types of activities. You can use the corner of the lip to spin on the conference table during meetings. You can use the lip to help level a desk phone that has a broken stand.

You can use the lip to even make art! How you wonder? Take the case off and use the accumulated lint and dust to evenly sprinkle on a piece of paper and then use a highlighter to color over the paper giving you several layers and depth to your art.

My daughter even uses the lip as a soother for her gums when she is teething! (yes I have insurance.)

Taegost

Reaction score
It's also the easiest way of figuring out your phone's orientation by touch, say, in a dark room.

This is exactly what I use it for :) That, and the speaker on the back... Makes it easier for me to turn on the screen so I can activate Droid Light :)

dhinged

Reaction score
Damn, the Droid 4 doesn't have this... now it's easier to accidentally hit the soft keys while holding the phone in landscape mode while watching YouTube. This was really useful as a grip.