Droid Insurance?

philipb

Reaction score
1. I do not have the Motorola Droid yet.

2. I'm new here and idk if I'm posting in the right sub-forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Anyway I'm looking to purchase a smart phone through Verizon. I would like to have it by christmas. I'm going to buy a new one off ebay for sure. I can easily get a brand new one for $450 or less.

My question is what is the best way to go about getting insurance. This will be my first smart phone and touch screen. I want to have decent insurance to protect accidental damage, and/if any tech problems. Theft would be nice as well.

I was wondering if the Droid is the best phone to get? Do you guys recommend me wait? I know the Palm Pre is coming in jan. as well as some other android phone? Could you guys educate me on that? Is it going to be the HD2 with android OS?

I am buying through ebay because it is somewhat cheaper than retail. I am saving my upgrade for june that way (fingers crossed) that if new iPhone comes out I can be the first to get that. (Have a macbook and I LOVE apple products)

So I'm looking for a smart phone to "tide" me over til then. And the Motorola Droid looks pretty great.

Last question. I was playing with it in store, and flipping between main screen menu's and scrolling through apps seemed kind of laggy. New update fix that at all?

I know this is a lot to read, but i need help!

Thanks so much guys!
Philip

J-Buck

Reaction score
i don't think u can get insurance from the company verizon does insurance with unless u buy the phone through them

tktouch12

Reaction score
the droid will defiantely 'tide you over', and maybe so much you might not want to get that iphone.. (if we get it)
palm pre is pretty bad in my opinion
idk where to get insurance though, sorry

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You are not really purchasing the phone through Verizon since you're getting it off ebay =P. You're just getting into their network.

As for insurance, the best way is to contact Verizon, at least to my knowledge.

As for getting it now or waiting, that is solely up to you. If i were you i'd get the Droid, because it is top of the line and even when the new phones are out not too long from now, it'll still be "evolving". Meaning there will be updates and all that, that makes the phone more enjoyable and something to look forward to.

If you're looking for a phone to just "tide you over" you might get addicted to the Droid. lol

And the new update fixes alot of lagginess. It's definitely smoother and you have to know that apps run in the background in Android. However, they don't use memory most of the time. The unit in the store might have add active apps running in the background that would cause the lag.

J-Buck

Reaction score
Ur gonna have to get insurance through ur homeowners insurance, because Asurian (verizon insurance) is only for phones bought through them

OP
P

philipb

Reaction score
what about square trade? have you guys heard anything through them? and do you know if you can still do home owners insurance? i think they did away with that

droidfreak

Reaction score
Buy the Droid from Verizon for the few extra bucks. If you lose it, break it, damage it or if it is stolen, it is replaced. Your homeowners insurance won't leave much after your detuctible plus they will get it back in increased premiums. Plus if you buy it from Verizon you know it is new and in good working condition. Too new for chancing on Ebay and such IMO.

cyclops

Reaction score
I bought my Droids through best buy -- declined their geek squad extended service. Called Verizon the next day and purchased the Verizon insurance -- $7.99/phone/month covers loss and damage, but does require a $89 deductible for loss or damage that requires a phone replacement.

Zippster

Reaction score
Ur gonna have to get insurance through ur homeowners insurance, because Asurian (verizon insurance) is only for phones bought through them

Wrong, bought my Droids from Wally world and then purchased the insurance through Verizon.

HB85

Reaction score
Have you ever made a claim? When I had to last year, Asurion knew what kind of phone I had, I never told them. If Verizon did not sell it, I would wonder if asurion has your correct phone information in their system.

DeLRo

Reaction score
I purchased my phone from ebay a few weeks ago and when I did the activation process over the phone I was told that I can receive the Asurion insurance plan($6.00). However I wasn't eligible for the additional Verizon Warranty($1.99) since I didn't purchase directly from a retailer.

Basically got my whole Blackberry plan switched over to reflect everything I had to the new phone. I would have just traded up, but I'm still a few months away for my new every2. Insurance did however cover the replacement on a new Curve 2 days before my Droid came in the mail.

I was going to just resell the Droid and keep the Curve till I was eligible for a new phone. But I got hooked on the Droid the first day.

If you're interested I can get a better deal on the Droid than you can through the store through my day job. $179.99 out the door. Free shipping and activation fee waived on new plans. Shipping is extra if you're doing a contract extension.

Also they offer a better insurance carrier, National Cellular Owners Association. For $49.99 a year up front you get the same coverage as Assurion with no deductible.

I will be doing this in a month or so when I'm eligible for my new every 2 since the insurance is way cheaper and there is no deductible.

Guchi

Reaction score
i bought a phone off ebay and it had TEC from verizon. you have to call them to activate it and i think you have 30 days you cant make a claim