Question regarding phone insurance

jakens84

Reaction score
I personally have added my BB smart phones to my wifes wedding ring personal articles policy. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

Please note i updated my original post. the insurance is not under my home owners but under my wife wedding ring insurance called a personal articles policy threw state farm. I cover her ring cause well stuff happens and i don't want to be out the money that I paid for the ring. My state farm agent confirmed to me today that my Storm (the phone i have now) is on the policy, that their is no deductible on the phone if anything was to happen to it.

Sorry for the mix up on the correct type of insurance policy.

Guaranteed that PAF policy doesn't cover breakage/software and hard ware issues/water or spills.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI.
When I was ordering my droid today, I was looking at the insurance. It used to be $50, but it is now $89 when your phone needs replacement.
I have used this service in the past on my past phones and it in fact was $50 when I needed to use it. I think it is worth it for $50, but I decided for $89 it wasn't worth it.

If you have to buy one at retail you'll most likely feel different :icon_eek:

halo0

Reaction score
I was probably going to go with a Square Trade Warranty

It covers breakage and spills.

$50 deductible.

Less than $100 for 2 years of coverage. Can also get a pro-rated refund if you decide to cancel.

Why do they only cover up to $399 for a non-iPhone? Seems like a bad deal in that case.

polar135

Reaction score
I personally have added my BB smart phones to my wifes wedding ring personal articles policy. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

Please note i updated my original post. the insurance is not under my home owners but under my wife wedding ring insurance called a personal articles policy threw state farm. I cover her ring cause well stuff happens and i don't want to be out the money that I paid for the ring. My state farm agent confirmed to me today that my Storm (the phone i have now) is on the policy, that their is no deductible on the phone if anything was to happen to it.

Sorry for the mix up on the correct type of insurance policy.

Guaranteed that PAF policy doesn't cover breakage/software and hard ware issues/water or spills.

This is not what i was told. im being told it covers everything. and that was confirmed this morning when i spoke with the agent. Either way, it just another option to go with. :D

jakens84

Reaction score

$50 deductible.

Less than $100 for 2 years of coverage. Can also get a pro-rated refund if you decide to cancel.

Why do they only cover up to $399 for a non-iPhone? Seems like a bad deal in that case.

They are giving you what you basically paid for the phone, assuming contract price. At that rate, most phones do not cost more than $399.

Since this is my first contracted device with VZW, does their warranty/insurance cover breaks/spills?

halo0

Reaction score

$50 deductible.

They are giving you what you basically paid for the phone, assuming contract price. At that rate, most phones do not cost more than $399.

Since this is my first contracted device with VZW, does their warranty/insurance cover breaks/spills?

That's ridiculous. You don't buy insurance to cover what you paid for the phone, you buy insurance to cover what it costs to REPLACE it. In the Droid's case, that's $599.

sprke81

Reaction score
I must be about the only one that thinks the insurance through the carrier is a rip off. I dropped my Droid today and it landed face down on the concrete floor. Needless to say the screen was covered in cracks. I called up Amex and they are going to credit back my credit card the full amount that I paid for it, I won't pay any deductible and its a free service from them. Check your credit cards some of them offer insurance for free its not something that the credit card companies advertise. :)

T

The Rigger

Is it a good idea to take it out on this phone?

Definitely... I've had the insurance on my Treo since I got it, and the insurance has paid for replacement twice in two years. (or most of the cost of replacement, anyway.)

It's *definitely* worth the pittance you pay.

halo0

Reaction score
I paid $150 for my Droid and it would cost $600 to replace it, so credit card insurance isn't real helpful.

webby

Reaction score
I paid $150 for my Droid and it would cost $600 to replace it, so credit card insurance isn't real helpful.

Right now, New in the Box droids are selling for about $450-500 incl shipping, no tax, with no contract on ebay. That is still certainly a lot o clams, but is quite a bit less than $600 plus tax that Verizon would charge you.

Over time, those prices on ebay will start to come down. I already bought my droid, but I have 30 days to decide whether to buy the insurance. I guess I will go ahead and buy the insurance for now, but monitor the ebay prices from time to time, and when the new or near new ones come down quite a bit in price, I will just drop the insurance. That is what I have done in the past with smartphones. After they are out for awhile, you can always find smartphones on ebay that are almost brand new, that say a spouse or kids bought for a family member, but the recipient of the gift just isn't into the bells and whistles, so up it goes on ebay, and they go back to their dumbphone, LOL.

jedidroid

Reaction score

Right now, New in the Box droids are selling for about $450-500 incl shipping, no tax, with no contract on ebay. That is still certainly a lot o clams, but is quite a bit less than $600 plus tax that Verizon would charge you.

Over time, those prices on ebay will start to come down. I already bought my droid, but I have 30 days to decide whether to buy the insurance. I guess I will go ahead and buy the insurance for now, but monitor the ebay prices from time to time, and when the new or near new ones come down quite a bit in price, I will just drop the insurance. That is what I have done in the past with smartphones. After they are out for awhile, you can always find smartphones on ebay that are almost brand new, that say a spouse or kids bought for a family member, but the recipient of the gift just isn't into the bells and whistles, so up it goes on ebay, and they go back to their dumbphone, LOL.

I have found this to be true as well....

jedidroid

Reaction score
How long is the standard warranty on the phone, assuming you don't drop it etc? 1 year?

webby

Reaction score
How long is the standard warranty on the phone, assuming you don't drop it etc? 1 year?

I just talked to a VZ rep last night when I added the Asurion insurance (they don't have a very good reputation, if you read around the web BTW, but I couldn't find any other realistic option) for $6/month with $89 deductible.

Yes, the regular mfg warranty on the phone for defects, etc., is 1 yr. If you want to extend that warranty, you can, but that will cost you $1.99/mo additional, but you have to start paying it before 30 days after your purchase of the new phone is up, so you are paying for 11-12 months for coverage that you already have. I declined to extend the mfg warranty.

enord1321

Reaction score
what about buying a square trade warranty for the phone, would that work?