Droid Incredible having AKO email issue

droidxtreme

Reaction score
When I try to set up the setting, which I have correct as I have triple checked, the screen from incoming email where I click next says its going to server but then it just stays on the incoming screen instead of continueing the setup to the outgoing email server.

What gives?

I have to get my AKO email, but I love this little phone. Can anyone help?!@

abn25r1p

Reaction score
same issue here

I am having the same isse. I love this phone but must have access to my mail. Anyone found a solution yet?

OP
D

droidxtreme

Reaction score
I called HTC, they are not working the problem or taking responsibility of the droid 2.1 OS not working with AKO. Yes my settings are correct and it seems HTC's guru's answer is to call AKO and tell them they have a problem. Of course I don't see AKO as having a problem as my HTC Diamond and if I remember correct the Eris works with AKO, so why not Incredible? new version OS perhaps, well HTC tech guru's don't see it that way, until we have enough problematic calls to bother them they won't fix the phone, remember we have 30 days to take them back unless someone can find a work around widget that will get AKO mail using IMAP protocol??? Anyone???

guacamole

Reaction score
My understanding of the issue is that the Incredible is rejecting the server due to its certificates being issued by the DoD CA, but none of the DoD Root CAs are installed on the Incredible (nor any other COTS hardware, for that matter). One solution posed by a user of a different device was to sign up for the Advanced Technologies Exchange mail beta, then set up the mail via Exchange (you may need to still perform a certificate workaround for this, but there are apps available for that in the Android Marketplace).

Department of the Army Advanced Technologies website: https://www.beta.army.mil/

Let me know if any of you get this working. I haven't decided whether or not I want to be migrated to Exchange just for my Incredible to get AKO mail when I can just as easily set up another .mil or .gov email address and let my AKO mail forward there.

OP
D

droidxtreme

Reaction score
OK I heard on another board, HTC go figure, that K-9 was working on the eris to get ako mail, IT WORKS ON THE INCREDIBLE, sweet and free- google droid I love you, no need to ask Apple if the app is ok to run before release. Now I get my ako mail just fine.

Note: I am a mid level tech and when I called Verizon their tech sent me to HTC, when I got to HTC they asked the "guru" who turned around and said it was Army mail fault to call them and work the issue. It seems the "guru" doesnt have the info about "accept all certs" is no longer on 2.1 droid OS.

either way K-9 to the rescue and incredible stays in my pocket even after my other work around that I couldn't sync with outlook. They forced me to start using gmail contacts and calander tracking for my productivity program and got to say, having the data available in gmail everywhere is a great thing and glad the new droid forced me to use gmail for this instead of outlook, goodbye outlook for good

guacamole

Reaction score
K-9 is a great solution, provided everyone who uses it keeps in mind the possibility of MITM interference if connecting to unknown networks. Hopefully there will be a better, more secure solution worked out in the near future.

Anyone know anything about installing DoD Root CAs on Android? Preferably without the requirement of rooting the phone, considering the Incredible root isn't yet complete.

OP
D

droidxtreme

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, by AKo mail guys wanting to make the mail "more" secure by adding multiple certs, they have actually made it less secure since we can't use droid 2.1 embedded mail imaping through ISP, we have to use 3rd person programs to be a conduit to in essence forward our mail to us.

So this is Army 2 steps forward 3 steps back doctrine, yea I have been in service for 20 years and know it very well. Nice giong, sarcasm

btw, this is what killed our sweet scout heli replacement, good idea faeries reacting behind the times with thoughts way ahead available/compatible technology

Still, can love a dog even if it only has 3 legs and runs sideways especially if its the only dog ya got ;)

guacamole

Reaction score
As much as I love to blame the Army for every problem I ever have with their systems (and I do, trust me, every day...), this is really more related to a problem DoD-wide, and really government-wide. Various Federal security standards mandated under HSPD-12 resulted in many departments and independent agencies throughout the government creating their own root Certificate Authorities (CAs) and thus, incompatibility with our personally-owned devices ensued. There are ways to add these certificates to our devices, but the easiest way (and the only way I'm aware of short of developing a new app to do it sans root) is to follow the directions here, inserting DoD CA certs in place of the cacert.org Class-3. Considering there are twenty-something DoD CAs at this time, this will be a lengthy process, but once we've got root I'm sure someone will consolidate it into a simple file openly available on AKO as we've seen in the past. Considering the recent successful root of the Desire, the Incredible root shouldn't take all that much longer, and we'll be one step closer. In the meantime, I still encourage use of the Exchange beta, keeping in mind the Incredible's CC problems with Exchange mail.

bh8690

Reaction score
AKO and Android

I live in the New York area...from day one of having Motorola Droid, the phone could not connect to AKO (settings confirmed); communication error. Strangely, when I was down in South Carolina recently, AKO miraculously worked (flawlessly). Returned through Chicago, and AKO no longer works.

Verizon what gives? Come clean. Marginal 3G coverage in these metro areas?....are we being misled?

I have done the science experiment...AKO works, setting are correct; Do we all have to move to South Carolina?

dbhuger

Reaction score
The droid works with AKO

I downloaded K-9 email client and it works with AKO email. I had to accept the certificates thru the setup process but it seems to be sending and recieving email fine.

OMGtheDroid

Reaction score
Just got AKO working with K-9. Use these settings when setting up;
For IMAP Enabled devices:

Incoming mail server: imap.us.army.mil port: 993. This server requires the client to connect via SSL.
Outgoing mail server: mailrouter.us.army.mil port: 465. This server requires the client to connect via SSL.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I believe that K9 is open source so you can check out the source code for any shenanigans.

Also, I suspect that the devs work for Google and are doing this as their Google 20% project because on their Google Code site they say they plan to roll the K9 features into the stock app at some point. Don't quote me on this.

Finally the stock email client is complete garbage and no one should use it--at least on the Android phones I've tried: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-general-discussions/69443-email-alerts.html#post725953