AKO email on droid pro?

jhberria

Reaction score
I'm attempting to set up my AKO (army knowledge-online) email account on my droid pro, but am having issues with security certificates. I've read extensive tutorials on setting up AKO accounts on the android OS, but it seems to be a little different on the Pro. Has anyone been able to successfully set up an AKO account on their droid pro, or could provide me with precise instruction on how to do so?

Thanks, in advance, for the help ----- Josh

OP
J

jhberria

Reaction score
Anyone? Anything? Any help would be appreciated.

Mcle6658

Reaction score
AKO Setup on Droid Pro

1) Install the 'K-9 Mail' app and run it (then click next)
2) Enter your AKO email and Password (click next)
3) Select 'IMAP'
4) Enter your AKO username & password
5) Under IMAP server enter: IMAP.us.army.mil
6) Select 'SSL (always)' for Security Type
7) Select 'PLAIN' for Authentication type
8) Under Port enter: 993
9) Leave the IMAP path prefix field blank
10) Leave the bottom three boxes (mobile, wi-fi, other) checked (click next)
11) It'll search and a text box will pop up, just hit 'accept key'
12) Under SMTP server enter: mailrouter.us.army.mil
13) Select 'SSL (always)' for Security Type
14) Under Port enter: 465
15) Click 'Require Sign-in
16) Select 'PLAIN' for Authentication type
17) If it doesn't auto-populate, Enter your AKO email and Password (click next)
18) Unrecognized Certificate will pop up again, just hit 'Accept key'
19) Adjust the account options as you see fit (I just upped the display messages to 50 and left the rest default)
20) Enter an account name if you want and Voila! You should be cleared hot.

Last edited:

tennvol

Reaction score
I remember back in 2007 / 2008 I had my AKO pushed to my personal Blackberry and then G6 / DOIM blasted out a email to everyone saying that it was against Army regs to have official email sent to a personal device and therefore don't do it. Not sure if this has changed or not but I don't think it's a good idea to do. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. I can sync my Exchange Server for work but it's against policy to do it so I don't. It is good to go for webmail access though.

Mcle6658

Reaction score
Just to be clear, the question posed and the subsequent instructional was for the purposes of syncing with AKO webmail only. I'm not talking about syncing with the exchange server (sure the previous step puts you well on your way, but it's going to take a few more formal approvals to actually take effect).

I knew the 'reg card' was going to be played (and rightfully so to error on the side of caution), but I assure you I'm not the 'beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission' type. The K-9 app was actually recommended by the folks in Lan Services, I bounced it off our local IASO who saw no problem with it, and I'm aware of an entire department in which the syncing AKO with their Droid is quickly becoming the status quo.

With that said, there's a bazillion regs out there and I'm no expert; so if there is in fact one condemning said action, I'd greatly appreciative if someone would point me to it.

tennvol

Reaction score
Understood. Thought you were trying to sync up to the exchange. Couldn't you just hit AKO from the browser? I don't use AKO anymore - I use Lotus Notes and AKO-S...I know..WTF?

The fact that there's a guide on how to connect your device on Big Army's webpage also makes you go WTF...but that's just business as usual. If it were me I'd call up AKO helpdesk and ask them since they would be the one monitoring your account, not your local guy.

But I do know that when they sent out the email originally they also shut off the ability to connect about a week later. Seeing how you can connect maybe it's all good again.

saechuck

Reaction score
Fyi

All, just a quick FYI on the reg change regarding checking AKO on mobile devices.

The issue with checking AKO on mobile devices is where your log-on credentials (username and password) are stored. For most devices these days, these credentials are stored on the mobile device itself rather than a server. The issue originated with Blackberries using a BIS - which was controlled by a service provider.
The problem is that when one stored their credentials on a BIS, a third party then had unauthorized access to AKO via your credentials.

As long as your username and password are kept on your device and not a server somewhere, you are in compliance with the regulation. As with any regulation though, don't take my word for it, verify it yourself.

Hope this helps.

LGOP

Reaction score
Thats not accurate. AKO webmail has instructions for using AKO webmail with wireless devices, to include the Droid. They have not upgraded details regarding the Droid 2. The also have links to some third party apps that they recommend, one is called K-9.
I have a Droid2G and use maildroid, free in the market, as IMAP for AKO webmail.
The site is called Go Mobile, its embedded in AKO so you must have an account to access.

dirty6

Reaction score
To get AKO working properly on my Palm Pre Plus (I just switched to DPro, waiting for it to arrive), I had to go to some Army websites, download some certificates to my desktop, sideload them via USB onto my phone and then use the phone's certificate manager to actually install the certificates on my phone. Once I did this, the IMAP access to AKO worked like a charm, inbound and outbound.

So, I still have all the certificates on my Palm Pre Plus in a folder on the USB partition...The question of the day, then, is whether or not the DPro has a certificate manager that can install these? Anyone know?

dirty6

Reaction score
if anyone cares, i got this working with the stock mail app. never had to install k-9. inbound and outbound AKO are working fine. holler at me if you want to know how.

bladestall

Reaction score
Additionally, the issue with syncing with the Army's exchange server is licensing (CALs). Client access licenses can be purchased (from RIM) and provided to your DOIM (if they are out of the box thinkers). If they do accept the client access license to place your personal device on the exchange server, then they are also the proprietors of the information flowing through it and all it's associated settings. I recommend sticking with the droids and using the webmail settings as provided through these forums. There is nothing against "regs" to prevent you from receiving and sending AKO webmail from your droid. It will soon not be possible without a bluetooth CAC reader - so enjoy while you can.