DROID Hints: Sync Sports Calendars (and other external calendars) with Google

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're into sports and you religiously use your Google Calendar on your device, you may have a desire to also sync up your favorite teams schedules and scores.

It seems like a simple enough process to accomplish. Google already offers subscriptions to your favorite teams and you can easily subscribe to them with a click of a mouse.

But, what's this? You're not receiving your sports calendars on your mobile device? Well not to worry, my friend, here are two solutions that you can use to work around this problem!

Subscribe Directly from Yahoo!
  1. Open sports.yahoo.com.
  2. Click on your favorite sport association.
  3. Click on Teams.
  4. Select your favorite team.
  5. Click on the LOWER Scores and Schedules link.
  6. Click Add to Calendar.
  7. Select Google Calendar.
  8. Confirm your selection on your Google Calendar and you're done!
webcal://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/det/ical.ics

Subscribe Using the URL to the Yahoo! iCAL Link

2. Click on your favorite sport association.
  3. Click on Teams.
  4. Select your favorite team.
  5. Click on the LOWER Scores and Schedules link.
  6. Click Add to Calendar.
  7. Right-click the iCAL link and copy the URL (webcal://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/team/ical.ics).
  8. Open your Google Calendar.
  9. Above My Calendar (in the windows on the left, below the month calendar), click the Add drop down window.
  10. Select Add by URL.
  11. Paste the URL you just copied.
  12. Click Add and you're done!
Now, there are some sports that don't have alot of those steps, but if you have access to the iCAL file anywhere (even outside of Yahoo!), Google will subscribe to that calendar based on the steps in part 2.

M

Matth3w

Using Yahoo kind of sucks, because they don't have all the games. On their page they have the complete schedule but when you add the Penguins schedule, for example, it's missing most of the games on the calendar.

For example, it doesn't show a single game until Feb 1st when we play Buffalo. However, the Penguins actually play 9 games between now and then. February's games are all there, but March is missing entire weeks worth of games.

Very unreliable.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you can find a source that supplies updated iCAL files, you can subscribe to that calendar from anywhere by following the steps in the second part.

M

Matth3w

Maybe it is just the Penguins and some other sports teams will work no problem. Your instructions worked PERFECT as far as subscribing to the calendar, so my guess is the issue is with the Yahoo calendar for that sports team in particular.

M

Matth3w

From your PC? Droid? Does it matter?
PC because you're going to copy the link directly into your Google Calendar on your PC. I suppose you could technically do it from the web browser on your Droid...but if you're at your computer might as well just do it there.

BostonBill

Reaction score
Thanks! I have the Celtics. I will have to go back now and see if they have the Red Sox up.

joshua117

Reaction score
hey thanks, never thought to do that. better than having to look them up all the time.:)

wolfpackron

Reaction score
Where on sports.yahoo.com do I "click on your favorite sports association?"

Or easier yet, How do I download subscriptions from Google?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yahoo=Fail

pilot25

Reaction score
Thanks! I have the Celtics. I will have to go back now and see if they have the Red Sox up.

April 4th 8:05 is the opener. Too bad it's not in Yankee Stadium so you can see the Yanks get their World Champion rings...:icon_ banana:

Go to the website of your favorite team and click under the schedule for 2010. It has directions how to import Google and other calendars. Be advised, the times of many of the games are TBD.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then how do I download sports schedules from Google?

On you computer, go to your google calendar. On the left side there is "other calendars." Click add and browse interesting calendars. You will see a sports tab on top. Click your favorite team and you're good to go.