Droid GPS

jaredsmom20

Reaction score
Ok, so I was told that the Droid has a voice GPS that talks to you just as a stand alone GPS. Can someone tell me how I get to this. I have tried google maps, and this just gives me directions. I do not hear anyone talking to me telling me where to turn. I have to look at this as I would if I looked up directions on mapquest. Thanks in advance for your help.

Heather

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Ok, so I was told that the Droid has a voice GPS that talks to you just as a stand alone GPS. Can someone tell me how I get to this. I have tried google maps, and this just gives me directions. I do not hear anyone talking to me telling me where to turn. I have to look at this as I would if I looked up directions on mapquest. Thanks in advance for your help.

Heather

Hi Heather,

Not sure I follow. The default navigation feature give spoken directions. Perhaps you have the mute on in the navagation or the navigation volume turned down (it is specific to navigation). Click the menu when in navigation to check.

zudien

Reaction score
This is a feature in Android 2.0+

However the droid eris (What you have) is an Android 1.5 device for the time being (an update is rumored but I haven't seen anything official yet, so it will be months away at the least).

As of right now the only phones you can buy that have Google Navigation is the Droid and Nexus One.

Google Navigation IS NOT in the market as a standalone program.

EDIT: Actually Google Navigation is for Android 1.6+. I didn't know they downgraded.

Either way Heather your phone will not support it for the time being.

Last edited:

mad3963

Reaction score

Heather

Heather, very simple. Get directions from Point A to Point B, as you usually would. A screen should display showing starting point, destination, etc. On that screen should be an option that says Navigate. Select this and you should get you voice-guided GPS directions.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Heather

The way I do it is like this. Search button, press microphone. I say Navigate to (enter place) and the gps picks it up. Voice navigation begins.

MdicnMan

Reaction score
This is a feature in Android 2.0+

However the droid eris (What you have) is an Android 1.6 device for the time being (an update is rumored but I haven't seen anything official yet, so it will be months away at the least).

As of right now the only phones you can buy that have Google Navigation is the Droid and Nexus One.

Google Navigation IS NOT in the market.

Or you could listen to someone smart like Zudien that actually noticed what phone you have. :clap: Sorry to mislead you.

OP
J

jaredsmom20

Reaction score
gps

Ok, so now that I realize that I am looking for something that is not there. Would you have a suggestion of a gps app that I could download that would work just as well?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now that I realize that I am looking for something that is not there. Would you have a suggestion of a gps app that I could download that would work just as well?

I'm not aware of any other 'turn by turn' direction programs that are yet working/offered on Android OS... VZW Navigator might work but I haven't tried it on the Droid so I don't know if they've bothered to port it for the OS or not. On the bright side the Eris is slated to get 2.0 (eventually) so you'll get the Nav feature at some point.

zudien

Reaction score

I'm not aware of any other 'turn by turn' direction programs that are yet working/offered on Android OS... VZW Navigator might work but I haven't tried it on the Droid so I don't know if they've bothered to port it for the OS or not. On the bright side the Eris is slated to get 2.0 (eventually) so you'll get the Nav feature at some point.

Actually there are several turn by turns on the market. Co Pilot is one. Unfortunately none of them are free.

I think Co Pilot is the nicest of them, however I haven't used any of them.

OP
J

jaredsmom20

Reaction score
gps

I just downloaded wisepilot, and it said free. I put in an address, and it seems to be what I want. I will find out when I actually go somewhere :)

OP
J

jaredsmom20

Reaction score
Have you used it? If so is it a decent gps app? Also, how much is it after the trial?

zudien

Reaction score
Never used it. All I did was pull up the market on my droid and search for navigation.

Co_Mntn_Man

Reaction score
on this subject

Morning to all my fellow Droids,

So, I am new to the Droid family, have only had mine about 2 weeks now. So, I used google maps this morning for the first time. It was using the GPS to track my travels. Can anyone tell me if this costs me extra. I have the data plan but didn't buy anything additional. So, if I use an app that utilizes GPS, and that app turns on the GPS, do I get a billed extra? Thanks (oh, Verizon is my carrier):icon_ banana: