droid getting Multitouch?

vettesfan

Reaction score
Motorola Spites Google, Promises Multitouch For All - Motorola multitouch - Gizmodo

Google may not be too interested in giving their US market native app multitouch in the Nexus One, but Motorola aims to please, with CEO Sanjay Jha promising to "deliver multitouch in the majority of our devices.
Going on, he told Laptop Mag "There's a complex set of factors, not all of them technical," which makes us wonder is he's referring to Google's thoughts on multitouch Androids. Google's motto may be "don't be evil," but giving European Nexus One owners native multitouch and ignoring other countries is frankly baffling.

backlash

Reaction score
So what are the advantages, besides for texting/typing on the on screen keyboard. I can see a benefit in that......but I've been pretty happy with Swype.

I guess I'm saying I don't know what it's full capabilities are. I've never used an iPhone..............so I guess I really don't know what I'm missing.

I don't give a crap about pinch zoom or whatever it's called.

Edmvr6

Reaction score
Motorola CEO: Multitouch Will Be In The Majority Of Future Moto Devices

Yes! In an interview, Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha just said they're planning to bring multitouch to a majority of their upcoming devices. To quote:
I think you will see us deliver multitouch in the majority of our devices going forward. There’s a complex set of factors, not all of them technical. But I think you’ll see us being proactive on multitouch because the user feedback on multitouch is very good.
He's absolutely right. Most Android users want multitouch and those who don't certainly wouldn't mind having it as an option. We applaud Motorola for actually listening to their user base. There's no lame "I don't like two handed operations" comment here.
If you have the time, the whole interview is worth a read. Sanjay Jha discusses Google's new strategy, the Nexus One, Motoblur, Droid, and Tablets. He goes into detail on why he attended the Nexus One event and why he thinks Google will only sell Google Experience devices in their new phone shop. His takes are generally well thought out and as close to honest as you'll get from a CEO-type.

The article didnt really say anything about the DROID.. said future devices.

Android Central | Android Central

Big Cam

Reaction score
I thought this has been covered amny times, the droid is capable of multitouch, just not with any of the stock applications.

i know there are threads on this, thr droid does have multitouch.

iPirate

Reaction score
I am curious what is holding them back. Palm Pre put it in their phones. Does iPhone have a patent pending and they are waiting to see the results of that?

Droid DOES have multi touch. There was a paint app I was using that let you do multi touch. I believe the Android OS for US does not because of something regarding Apple.

marcogiudice

Reaction score
u can multi touch u have to d/l an app called dolphin browser app for your droid and it has an window explore type of feel with tabs instead of opening a new window everytime and u can pinch and zoom on it. im surprised no1 knew about that. that was one of my first apps i changed for browser... tell me how u like it if u end up using it

J

Johnly

I will take multi touch native, but I am doing fine without it. As long as I can "touch" and get the action result, then whatever, I am good. But sure, throw it in as an optional input method, won't hurt.

diverbelow

Reaction score
I would love to get multi touch, so selecting spec text for copy will be easier then selecting the entire screen. Unless I missed something.

jcardona1

Reaction score
the dolphin browser is slow and buggy. i remove that crap right away. just like home++, all the problems are not worth a few silly features

tdjt

Reaction score
Droid already has multitouch. You can use multi-touch for a number of apps: Dolphin, Gallery (the other one). Not sure what more Motorola can do for it if Google doesn't want to use the capability. I think this article is referring to other phones.

As for multi-touch itself, it's way overrated. Probably because it's one of the few things iPhone still has over Droid. I do just about everything on my Droid with one hand. Multitouch pretty much requires two hand operation.

Nedaroth

Reaction score
From a marketing standpoint for moto to omit multitouch for the USA was just plan stupid, we do not have native multitouch.
Now you can sit there all day saying you dont care, but the bottom line it cost moto and Verizon a lot of money. It was a deal breaker for a lot of iphone users. Moto should have insisted on it.

But now after seeing how google handled the Nexus1, i have a better understanding of why it was overlooked.

kev83202

Reaction score
People constantly refer to multi-touch and think of pinch to zoom. The droid already has multi-touch, the screen will recongnize when you finger touches in 2 places at once. As for pinch to zoom, this is something that has to be in each application, the droid has several picsay, phonemypc, multi-touch gallery. The droid does NOT have a browser with pinch to zoom, personly I could care less I use phonemypc alot and wish it wasn't pinch to zoom I like the 1 handed double tap.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yes the Droid does, its called Dolphin Browser.