Droid freezing & restarting?

Kr4zexghost

Reaction score
So i've had my droid for quite awhile already, but recently it just started acting up.
Im not sure if its a program i've downloaded and installed but i havent dled any recently. When i'm texting people using Handcent SMS, as i'm typing, my phone would freeze and restart on it's own. This doesn't happen always, but it's starting to become a problem. I had handcent sms for awhile now too and it never use to do that so i shrugged it off as the source of my problem. But now, when i sometimes text something in the box, it'll show invisible words. I start typing something and i can see the phone reacting to the letters i press but nothing comes out. I exit and go back in and it's still the same. I have to restart my phone in order to fix it. That made me start to think that maybe Handcent SMS is the cause of such problems. Could it be? Anybody else experiencing such-like symptoms of the app or phone become screwy?

One other problem i forgot to mention. The touchscreen sometimes doesn't react to what i press or swipe. It just hangs for awhile until it becomes responsive again.
Much help or advice needed. Thanks!

d:]

Last edited:

Droid101

Reaction score
So i've had my droid for quite awhile already, but recently it just started acting up.
Im not sure if its a program i've downloaded and installed but i havent dled any recently. When i'm texting people using Handcent SMS, as i'm typing, my phone would freeze and restart on it's own. This doesn't happen always, but it's starting to become a problem. I had handcent sms for awhile now too and it never use to do that so i shrugged it off as the source of my problem. But now, when i sometimes text something in the box, it'll show invisible words. I start typing something and i can see the phone reacting to the letters i press but nothing comes out. I exit and go back in and it's still the same. I have to restart my phone in order to fix it. That made me start to think that maybe Handcent SMS is the cause of such problems. Could it be? Anybody else experiencing such-like symptoms of the app or phone become screwy?

One other problem i forgot to mention. The touchscreen sometimes doesn't react to what i press or swipe. It just hangs for awhile until it becomes responsive again.
Much help or advice needed. Thanks!

d:]

That is what it is sounding like. It is probably an application you have downloaded it. If you call verizon they will probably tell you to do a Factory reset which puts the phone back in the condition it was when you first bought it. If that doesn't work than Verizon would most likely send you a replacement but I would atleast call them so it is on record that you did the first step which is a factory reset.

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
Update not successful?

This will happen if you were trying to update to android 2.0.1 and something went wrong during the process. If something went wrong in the process the Droid will try to shut down and startup on it's own and during startup try to either install the update again or fix the problem. A factory reset will stop this from happening but factroy resets can be dangerous to your device do I would take it to verizon.

To see if your phone didnt update success fully got to
settings>aboutphone>firmwire version

If your phone says anything besides 2.0 or 2.0.1 there's a problem.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This will happen if you were trying to update to android 2.0.1 and something went wrong during the process. If something went wrong in the process the Droid will try to shut down and startup on it's own and during startup try to either install the update again or fix the problem. A factory reset will stop this from happening but factroy resets can be dangerous to your device do I would take it to verizon.

To see if your phone didnt update success fully got to
settings>aboutphone>firmwire version

If your phone says anything besides 2.0 or 2.0.1 there's a problem.

Why is a factory reset dangerous to your device? That simply doesn't make sense, all you're doing is returning it to the settings that you originally received it in.

Now if you were rooting the device, your statement has some merit but a reset is not dangerous.