Droid Forums Last Minute Tech Gift Ideas 2014

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
Really enjoying my Fire stick too. Here's a comparison chart for anyone still on the fence about which media stick to buy.
xvn2NBG.jpg

The Fire Stick trumps Chromecast & Roku in the memory & storage dept, but you really can't go wrong with any of them. Plus they are inexpensive enough to make great stocking stuffers.

S5 tap'n
I wasnt aware they came with games. What kind of games are they? 300+ is a great selling point for me if the games are decent.

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Fire Stick is great and superior to the ones I have on my list but unfortunately, not available until Jan 6 otherwise it would have been on this last-minute gift guide. :D

I'm going to get one for myself. :p Just need an official Crunchyroll app.

Reactions: CJM

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My wife has been twisting my arm about Christmas gifts so this year I settled on the Samsung Gear Circle. I read some reviews about it and the LG Tone and chose the Circle.

I'm tired of wires.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Fire Stick is great and superior to the ones I have on my list but unfortunately, not available until Jan 6 otherwise it would have been on this last-minute gift guide. :D

I'm going to get one for myself. :p Just need an official Crunchyroll app.

I apologize for any misleading info guys! I shouldn't have assumed that since I received mine that they were actually in stock. Must have been due to last months promotion as to why I got mine early. It is strange they wouldn't have this out in time for the holidays though.

As for the games, I went through a number of them last night, just to see what was available. Everything from racing games, RPG's & FPS's, tower defense and flight simulators, to trivia, card, party & board games. They have a "free" section, and the rest are paid. Similar to what you'd find on the Play Store/Amazon AppStore with prices ranging from .99 cents on up.
You can use the remote that comes with the stick, but if you intend on spending any real time in the game section, you'll want to invest in the optional game controller ($39.99) ouch!

I was disappointed because many of the games can't really be played without it so I'll be investing in one myself.
It would be nice if you could use a third party controller since I have a few laying around gathering dust. Perhaps once it's rooted, that option will open up. I'm pretty sure it'll get root as it's already got a developer section tucked away in the settings, where you can activate adb commands.

S5 tap'n

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Last edited:

Huannsaiy

Reaction score
Twitter
Amy Freud
I'm interested in Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player.In particular there is a price I am very satisfied

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I was going to add FireTV as well. While the stick isn't available until the 9th, the blackbox version is. It's comparable with the Roku3. It's what I bought for mom for Christmas because she streams a lot of movies/shows in the workout room with Amazon/NetFlix/Plex.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Found a great stocking stuffer for my significant other. The UE (Ultimate Ears) Mini Boom .
I wanted to keep the price around $100, but at the same time I wanted to make sure I bought decent speaker that would hold up.
As with all electronics, I searched the web for reviews on BT speakers in that price range. Site after site rated the UE Mini Boom as one of the better speakers in that price range.

Ultimate Ears UE Mini Boom - REVIEW: [video=youtube;kseQLhpqaRI]
It retails at $99, but is currently on sale for the holidays at both Amazon & Best Buy for $69.99.

S5 tap'n