Droid Eris "Starting MMI Sequence"?

johnjust

Reaction score
[SOLVED, kind of] Droid Eris "Starting MMI Sequence"?

Minutes after joking with a friend of mine about how my phone will occasionally make calls without me doing anything, my phone just attempted to call a number I've never seen before... This is kind of weird, and it's got me thinking about taking a trip to the local steel mill's furnace to end my phone, Terminator-style, even if the closest steel mill is hundreds of miles away.

It's trying to call a number that, through a Google search, has been identified as a number from Camden County jail, NJ. I know no one in New Jersey, let alone in jail in New Jersey, let alone in jail anywhere. Furthermore, this number didn't exist in my call log as an incoming call, it just got dialed as an outgoing call. When it tried to call that number, a message popped up where the speakerphone message usually is, saying "Starting MMI Sequence".

There are also a couple other numbers in my call log I didn't make: "008" and "8", both coming up as "Unknown", because you know... they're not in my contacts of course.

The phone was in my pocket, my jeans aren't tight in the least bit (I wear jeans from before metrosexuals came out, newer jeans seem to only fit people with no genitalia, which I do have), and it had to get past the lock screen to make a call. In fact, I was in Dolphin when I last used it. That means, it had first had to turn on by the hard button, then unlock (by the Menu button maybe, that I can see happening), then go home, then go to "Phone", then enter every digit in the number (a perfect 10 digit number, including a valid area code), then actually make the call. How could all of that happen in the matter of a few seconds in my pocket? How could my leg hit the hard button to turn the screen on?

Google searching for the "MMI" message gets me a bunch of dead end forum threads, what the hell could be going on here?

In all seriousness, I am a little freaked out by this. In a real sense, I'm just not sure exactly what's going on. Is my information being "sent" somewhere? Where do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

Related: is there ANY way to disable the "Menu" button on the lock screen in Sense? Google doesn't help me out much here either, so I figured I'd just go directly to a forum and ask people myself. Thanks for anything, I really don't know what to do here short of going to Verizon to get a new phone.

EDIT:
After looking around for an hour or so, I've come across this Sprint forum post: Android:Re: Should HTC Drop Sense for Android?

Basically, it is my leg calling people (that's hilarious), they say to just face the screen away from your leg and it won't "rogue dial" anymore. Now then, the only thing left to do is figure out what that "MMI" message is all about and how my leg managed to call a number that actually exists - that's friggin weird.

Last edited:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Minutes after joking with a friend of mine about how my phone will occasionally make calls without me doing anything, my phone just attempted to call a number I've never seen before... This is kind of weird, and it's got me thinking about taking a trip to the local steel mill's furnace to end my phone, Terminator-style, even if the closest steel mill is hundreds of miles away.

It's trying to call a number that, through a Google search, has been identified as a number from Camden County jail, NJ. I know no one in New Jersey, let alone in jail in New Jersey, let alone in jail anywhere. Furthermore, this number didn't exist in my call log as an incoming call, it just got dialed as an outgoing call. When it tried to call that number, a message popped up where the speakerphone message usually is, saying "Starting MMI Sequence".

There are also a couple other numbers in my call log I didn't make: "008" and "8", both coming up as "Unknown", because you know... they're not in my contacts of course.

The phone was in my pocket, my jeans aren't tight in the least bit (I wear jeans from before metrosexuals came out, newer jeans seem to only fit people with no genitalia, which I do have), and it had to get past the lock screen to make a call. In fact, I was in Dolphin when I last used it. That means, it had first had to turn on by the hard button, then unlock (by the Menu button maybe, that I can see happening), then go home, then go to "Phone", then enter every digit in the number (a perfect 10 digit number, including a valid area code), then actually make the call. How could all of that happen in the matter of a few seconds in my pocket? How could my leg hit the hard button to turn the screen on?

Google searching for the "MMI" message gets me a bunch of dead end forum threads, what the hell could be going on here?

In all seriousness, I am a little freaked out by this. In a real sense, I'm just not sure exactly what's going on. Is my information being "sent" somewhere? Where do I even begin to troubleshoot this?

Related: is there ANY way to disable the "Menu" button on the lock screen in Sense? Google doesn't help me out much here either, so I figured I'd just go directly to a forum and ask people myself. Thanks for anything, I really don't know what to do here short of going to Verizon to get a new phone.

EDIT:
After looking around for an hour or so, I've come across this Sprint forum post: Android:Re: Should HTC Drop Sense for Android?

Basically, it is my leg calling people (that's hilarious), they say to just face the screen away from your leg and it won't "rogue dial" anymore. Now then, the only thing left to do is figure out what that "MMI" message is all about and how my leg managed to call a number that actually exists - that's friggin weird.

Clearly the answer is to cut off your leg.

OP
J

johnjust

Reaction score
Clearly the answer is to cut off your leg.

I've heard of "butt dialing", but "leg dialing"? I'd be more inclined to believe it was something else down there dialing :icon_eek:

That message is just so cryptic: "Starting MMI Sequence"...

I expect it to say "Shall we play a game?" next.

Last edited:

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
junk dialing!? :icon_eek: You did explicitly specify that you indeed have genitalia...

OP
J

johnjust

Reaction score
Well, since it's kind of funny now (and I no longer have to fear for my life), I figured I'd whip up something that might give someone nightmares, enjoy...