1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

My Eris feels like a slow computer

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Eris' started by Carbon Dan, May 18, 2010.

1. Carbon Dan

Carbon Dan New Member

Hi everyone.
    A background to my troubles.
    I've had these problems on the old OS before the recent update and now again with 2.1

I have had one replacement phone already from the issues but the problems seem to continue.

On to the issues ;)

Overall my Eris just feels like a slow computer. Slow to respond to input or functions. Example:
    I'll go to phone and begin to dial a number by hitting 71...(area code) but it will not respond so I click on the top number in the phone list as thats the number I was going to call. The phone finally sees I was pressing the 7&1 numbers on the pad and brings up a new list of possible numbers...then it sees I pressed the top number in the list and now starts to call a person I didnt want to...
    all in all a frustrating effort lol

Other times it will just freeze up for a while and not perform actions, the home button vibrates as if I'm pressing it but will not respond sometimes for around 30 seconds.

I've noticed in certain areas 2.1 seems to have given me a little better results but it seems not to have made a huge difference.

I am using auto task killer as well to hopefully free up some 'bandwidth' or 'ram' however it should be conveyed.

Has anyone had any similar circumstances or insight so as to improve performance and have the phone be a little more manageable?

Thanks for your insight.

D A N
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I don't really know the Eris but if this was a Droid I'd say get rid of auto task killer and do a factory reset to clean everything up.
  3. Carbon Dan

Carbon Dan New Member

Actually I just realized I don't have auto task killer on my new phone...which I got through Verizon as a replacement for the first one having issues. I was trying that out on the first one that had issues

I have done factory reset and as well now upgraded to the 2.1.

Thank you for teh advice though :)

D A N
  4. Alex P

Alex P New Member

I am having similar problems with my Eris. Typing and making calls seem to be slowest for me. I don't have all that many apps either, maybe 10 or 12. Would the number of apps have anything to do with it?
  5. divalibra

divalibra New Member

How many text messages do you have in your phone? I realized that my phone was moving really slow one night and decided to delete my text messages (had over 1500 from multiple people)..it took my phone nearly twenty minutes to delete them all but after that the phone's processor really improved. I dont know if this will help with the dialer lag though.
  6. Carbon Dan

Carbon Dan New Member

Not many....I think combined I have under 1000

D A N
  7. PRince

PRince New Member

i havent done a factory reset ever. Ive tried with and without an atk and the phone is horribly slow. Finally some1 else is complaining with the same thing i am. Is it possible to go back to 1.5 the only thing im currently enjoying the navigation and even that lags pretty horribly.
  8. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

really? i have over 7000 right now. i might want to try that, but what seems to slow it down for me is having a ton of apps installed. i notice my speed/response/snappiness gets worse as i get more. around 20 is ok, but if i have like 150 everything seems really laggy
  9. Carbon Dan

Carbon Dan New Member

Ya I don't do much texting

I only have Facebook and Engadget apps installed

I don't want to go back to 1.5 either since I had the same issues there too

D A N
  10. krnmc

krnmc New Member

sorry this might be late but i have the exact same problem as you right now. Does your phone still do it? or were you able to fix? if you werea able to fix how did u do it?

thank you
  11. Carbon Dan

Carbon Dan New Member

Unfortunately I wasn't able to fix it.
    It comes and goes but I've learned to just accept it.
    I have to restart my phone it seems once a day and it works a little better temporarily.

D A N
  12. jhart15063

jhart15063 New Member

ok try not leaving an alarm set, just check the box before you go to bed if you are using one, and deleting all of your text messages
  13. fking29

fking29 New Member

I have the same problem....the solution should be here within a couple weeks....a new phone (-:
  14. TK.Droid.eris

TK.Droid.eris New Member

I have heard of people going into verizon requesting a new phone But I don't know if they could. I want to I can't stand the lagging. It messes me up when I text.
  15. PRince

PRince New Member

i got a new one, it helped a little bit

im using less apps and deleting my txts when i have too many. I noticed that if u stop the automatic facebook up dates, you'll have a lil more battery and speed
  16. jhart15063

jhart15063 New Member

i know ill probably get ripped a new bumhole for this but have you tried ATK?
    i use it on my eris to shut down things that i open that i know i dont need running. i.e. the eris browser will stay open running in the background, i use snesoid and that will run in the background sometimes. just kill the things you open and dont use all of the time. and DONT use the kill all or autokill feature.
    and make sure you kill ATK when you're done too. let me know if this helps.
  17. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie New Member

I had the same issues after i went to 2.1 (i actually stopped making calls if they werent in my contact list because dialing ten numbers was impossible) and after trying everything I could think of, I used my upgrade option and got a Moto Droid. I couldn't be happier.

I use my Eris as a test phone now.

~ Transmitted via Motorola Droid 2.1 ~
  18. R5D4

R5D4 New Member

I'm glad I found this thread...I haven't even bothered looking online for a while because I've given up on the Eris. I've gotten to the point where I just accept the ridiculous slowness and move on. The dialing...texting...general lagginess between screens, opening up apps, etc is SO bad.

I have been thinking about going back to the Verizon store, but that's going to be worthless I'm sure. I don't even know if I want to try another Eris, but I can't buy another new phone 6 months after getting this brand new one.

Very frustrating stuff.

I am deleting all my text messages now...see if that helps.

Thanks everyone for listening and posting.
  19. rtb

rtb New Member

Sorry to bump this but yeah this phone sucks...
  20. Tillmorn

Tillmorn Member

Hey now, my Eris is still doing good. Granted it can't run Angry Birds, but hey, that's what I'm getting a Nook Color for. $200 for a decent tablet? yes please.

One of the biggest things I've realized is that you cannot load the Eris up with a bunch of apps that run in the background. It'll slow things down beyond usability. Also...clear your text messages regularly. I've reset my phone half a dozen times (before rooting and flashing a rom) due to a large build-up of texts that made my phone run like a Windows Millennium pc trying to run Crysis if you will.
Search tags for this page

htc eris facebook slow