DROID Eris Receiving Update July 16th

jhart15063

Reaction score
His Eris is running 1.5. i thought they updated them to 2.1.

They did update them they sent an OTA a while ago, if you want i think you can go to about phone and check for system updates, if not there might be a download on the VZW site.

drdave

Reaction score
Verizon techs are saying that the update may kill apps and cause problems. The OTA is optional; the techs say don't accept it, at least not yet.
What would it take to reduce all of Eris angst and let us upgrade early to something more reliable?!

Aries

Reaction score
If anyone gets the update.. post and let us know! Im curious.. but that usually kills cats..

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will gladly give it a spin....I keep checking but it keeps saying I am up-to-date.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon techs are saying that the update may kill apps and cause problems. The OTA is optional; the techs say don't accept it, at least not yet.
What would it take to reduce all of Eris angst and let us upgrade early to something more reliable?!

You could always buy another device at full price. Just sayin....

Personally I have no issues with my Eris.

txarsoncop

Reaction score
cant update OTA if ur rooted correct ?

not if your rooted from what I have read from past OTA updates. Im running a 2.1 v3 leak that matches almost identical to the most recent OTA update, but never received the "official". I'm kinda curious if this is something that is actually gonna happen.. and if my phone will receive it. (my phone is not rooted)

I believe this to be partially incorrect. I think it depends on how your ROM is written. I used GRDLock's original ROM that shut down OTA updates when I rooted and updated to 2.1 originally.

I just (today, 7/16/10) downgraded my rooted 2.1 Eris because I wasn't seeing apps that wifey-poo could get with her Droid. Also, some wouldn't install, like Best Buy's 'movie mode' for Despicable Me.

The thing is, the phone didn't revert back to 1.5 like it was supposed to. Because 2.1 is the 'system standard' my phone booted back up with factory stock 2.1. It auto-updated even though poster, thefuzz4, states that this downgrade is going to take your phone back to factory stock 1.5. When the phone booted up it went through all the usual set-up BS. I also still have root access.

I believe, but would need confirmation, that if your phone is merely rooted you should receive OTA updates. If you've got a custom ROM more than likely you won't see the updates because most of the folks running ROMs are getting things out of their phones that HTC will never get to the masses.

My $.02

bill

biga

Reaction score
Enhancements:
 New Leap thumbnail view lets you pinch to jump between the seven
panels on your home screen.
 Additional calendar views and easier access to contacts make
navigating even quicker.
 Google Maps with Navigation provides free, traffic-enhanced,
turn-by-turn navigation.
 With the Enhanced Android Market,™ you’ll enjoy a better browsing
experience as well as even more applications, including Verizon
Wireless content featuring self-service applications.
 Ability to log onto and access multiple Google accounts at once.
 Support for 19 Microsoft® Exchange Server policies makes your
phone more secure and business friendly.1
 Desk Clock intelligently dims your screen and displays the current
time while charging.
 Location-based cinematic full screen weather keeps you on top of
changing conditions.
Improvements:
 Free Yahoo!® Mail is now supported—simply sign in with your
Yahoo! email address and password.2
 Longer battery life due to power savings.
 Improved YouTube® video playback.
 Better Bluetooth® support, including contact transfer.
 Automatic settings for POP3 verizon.net email accounts.
 Added support for stand-alone Wi-Fi when device is in
airplane mode.
 Improved handset audio when disconnecting a wired headset.
 Faster power-up time.
 Improved swipe-unlock functionality.
 Added support for Microsoft Office 2007 documents.
Enjoy improved performance with these OS enhancements. Verizon Wireless is
pleased to announce a new software update for your Droid Eris smartphone. The
Droid Eris software version ROM: 2.36.605.1/Radio: 2.42.00.04.12 update includes
numerous enhancements and improvements.
Droid Eris by HTC
(this is what my wife just received on her phone thru a text)

HTC D

Reaction score
As someone has asked earlier in this thread, will this MR fix the "Silent Call" bug that anyone knows of?

HTC D

Reaction score
If anyone gets the update.. post and let us know! Im curious.. but that usually kills cats..

I just got this update today. July 17th @ 12:30am. I hope it fixes the “Silent Call” bug!

300013562.png

Last edited:

Aries

Reaction score
Its 7/17 and still no update for me. I got an email from verizon showing that I am to get the update but nothing has come OTA yet.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Its 7/17 and still no update for me. I got an email from verizon showing that I am to get the update but nothing has come OTA yet.

They are going out, they do not do them all in 1 day.. so hang in there :)

HTC D

Reaction score
Verizon tech said it could take up to 7 days before the entire customer base gets it. I'm just lucky I was in the first wave.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

xliderider

Reaction score
Got the update this morning, installed on wife's Eris. The phone is a lot snappier and responsive, where it was lagging horribly to all touchscreen input and commands before the update.

I was on the verge of rooting and overclocking the phone with a custom rom/kernel, but now I think I might just root the phone, and leave it with the OEM rom for now. :)