DROID Eris Receiving Update July 16th

Discussion in 'HTC Droid Eris' started by Shadez, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ndeans

ndeans New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My bad... 2.1... I'll take the watered down version if that's what Eris has... My wife tried to get me to buy the Motorola but I didn't like it. The Eris feels more solid and is far more stylish and as far as the screen goes, I'll take quality over quantity. Other than that I haven't found THAT much difference between my Eris and my brother's Moto. Everything his phone does, mine does too. Except for the bluetooth issue which is more an irritation for me than a critical issue.

Actually, I'm altogether more impressed with the HTC line than I am with the Motorola line, although I'll always have fond memories of my Motorola Razor.

#25 ndeans, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +640
    My guess is that the update will also fix the issue with your blue tooth. I could be wrong but it seems like it would be related.

3. jhart15063

jhart15063 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i like HTC phones too, i wish my eris was faster sometimes and had livewallpapers like the moto droid..(and was on the list for 2.2) :icon_ goofy:... but if i were to get a new phone id go HTC(*cough* incredible *cough*) all the way lol

4. xliderider

xliderider Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if this update will fix the silent call bug/issue. Or is that what they are calling "updated audio control"? :rolleyes:

5. beckeann

beckeann Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid turbo
    His Eris is running 1.5. i thought they updated them to 2.1.

6. VannMann

VannMann Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My niece and nephew's phone are buggy as crap.The screen takes on a mind of it own and the weather widget rarely works.The OS runs slow and force closes almost everything after there last update. They have been asking me to do to there phone what I have done to mine, but I keep telling them that I can't. They will be glad to see an update as long as it fixes there issues.

7. jhart15063

jhart15063 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They did update them they sent an OTA a while ago, if you want i think you can go to about phone and check for system updates, if not there might be a download on the VZW site.

8. drdave

drdave New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon techs are saying that the update may kill apps and cause problems. The OTA is optional; the techs say don't accept it, at least not yet.
    What would it take to reduce all of Eris angst and let us upgrade early to something more reliable?!

9. Aries

Aries New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone gets the update.. post and let us know! Im curious.. but that usually kills cats..

10. LoneWolfArcher

Ratings:
    +640
    I will gladly give it a spin....I keep checking but it keeps saying I am up-to-date.

11. LoneWolfArcher

Ratings:
    +640
    You could always buy another device at full price. Just sayin....

Personally I have no issues with my Eris.

12. txarsoncop

txarsoncop New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe this to be partially incorrect. I think it depends on how your ROM is written. I used GRDLock's original ROM that shut down OTA updates when I rooted and updated to 2.1 originally.

I just (today, 7/16/10) downgraded my rooted 2.1 Eris because I wasn't seeing apps that wifey-poo could get with her Droid. Also, some wouldn't install, like Best Buy's 'movie mode' for Despicable Me.

The thing is, the phone didn't revert back to 1.5 like it was supposed to. Because 2.1 is the 'system standard' my phone booted back up with factory stock 2.1. It auto-updated even though poster, thefuzz4, states that this downgrade is going to take your phone back to factory stock 1.5. When the phone booted up it went through all the usual set-up BS. I also still have root access.

I believe, but would need confirmation, that if your phone is merely rooted you should receive OTA updates. If you've got a custom ROM more than likely you won't see the updates because most of the folks running ROMs are getting things out of their phones that HTC will never get to the masses.

My $.02

bill