Droid does not prioritize phone app above others

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I have not yet had one user of my roms complain about this problem.

I also do not have this problem on the DI.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
That, unfortunately, is not true.

... and that is unacceptable, IMHO.

Blame Google's policy on market app acceptance. But don't blame the device.

I blame Google for a complete mess of an Android Market. Complete inability to search for anything properly and lack of ability to classify an app as compatible with what phone and what OS version. Considering they are a search engine company, this gaff is embarrassing and hysterical.

With regard to the Phone App not being the absolute number one most important app and function on the phone, let me know who to blame - Google, Motorola or both.

Beardface

Reaction score
Sounds to me like someone came into this thread with the intentions of complaining for the sake of complaining without having any desire to listen to the help or advice of the people in here.

Simply put, if you don't like the fact that the phone can be laggy when you're running bad programs and you get an incoming call, wipe the Droid, sell it on eBay, and get yourself an iPhone, where Apple controls and regulates every application that goes into their store.

Personally, I like knowing there is no Big Brother of sorts controlling what I can and cannot purchase and run on my phone. I just make sure to take the extra step and only download programs that are well known and popular and are known to not be corrupt. I have personally never heard of this app that announces the city, name, and number of the contact that is calling you. Sounds like that is the corrupt file you're running, and if you went to delete it, it'll run fine. If you still need to know who is calling without looking at the phone, why not just set a separate mp3 as the ringtone of every contact you have, or at least the ones who contact you the most. Works well for me. I am running stock 2.1 on Helix and have never had these issues. Maybe an issue with it being slightly laggy, but when I'm running 3 or 4 apps in the background all at once (Navigator, Pandora, Messager, and then get a call) its to be expected. But even then, the phone takes priority, freezes all other programs (other than Navigator, since you probably would rather not miss a turn, even when on a call) and then picks up where they all left off once the call is completed.

Mule65

Reaction score
Sounds to me like someone came into this thread with the intentions of complaining for the sake of complaining without having any desire to listen to the help or advice of the people in here.

The only advise I received is to root or send back -- do you have any helpful advise? My stock 2.1 Droid dropped a lot of calls. The sound would drop in/out on most calls and I couldn't understand without having the other person repeat.

Darkseider

Reaction score

The only advise I received is to root or send back -- do you have any helpful advise? My stock 2.1 Droid dropped a lot of calls. The sound would drop in/out on most calls and I couldn't understand without having the other person repeat.

Stock as in NO apps installed and completely stock load from Verizon? If so then I would have done a factory reset, *228 option 2 and tried again. If that did not resolve the issue I would have returned the device for a new one. Now if it was stock AND had third party apps installed all bets are off. You would have to remove apps one by one to see which one was causing the issue and even then may have to perform a full reset.

Darkseider

Reaction score
... and that is unacceptable, IMHO.

Blame Google's policy on market app acceptance. But don't blame the device.

I blame Google for a complete mess of an Android Market. Complete inability to search for anything properly and lack of ability to classify an app as compatible with what phone and what OS version. Considering they are a search engine company, this gaff is embarrassing and hysterical.

With regard to the Phone App not being the absolute number one most important app and function on the phone, let me know who to blame - Google, Motorola or both.

Complete mess, no. Slightly unorganized, yes. The Android market is a very dynamic and fun place to be. Especially because of its' explosive growth. The search feature can be refined some but that's about it. As for the ability to classify an app as compatible well, that's what the reviews and dev notes are for in the description. Also note that 99.9% of the apps on the market are compatible with Android 1.6 to current. Android 1.5 is generally the shunned child when it comes to app compatibility.

As for who to blame. I would say blame yourself first and foremost. You as the end user chose to download said app without researching. It is ultimately your responsibility. Although looking for someone else to blame other than yourself isn't shocking in todays' society where no one will take responsibility for their own actions, particularly those that have a bad side effect or consequence attached.

Before you respond understand one thing. There is no gray area with me. I deal with absolutes. I will not meet in the middle and share blame or responsibility. It is either something I did or something I didn't, plain and simple. There are no extenuating circumstances, no outside modifiers or interference. You were of sound mind and body when you clicked the download button. Google nor Motorola forced you or anyone else to buy the device and install a flakey app. No. All those choices were made by the individual and because of this you the end user are ultimately responsible for your actions. Don't pass the buck or play the blame game. YOU are the only one to blame for the actions you have taken within the open market and ecosystem that is Android.

People have made suggestions and tried to help yet the complaining continues for the sake of complaining. Enough is enough. Use the phone and enjoy it for what it is, take it back and get another or go a different one altogether.

kthxbye

Mule65

Reaction score
Stock as in NO apps installed and completely stock load from Verizon? If so then I would have done a factory reset, *228 option 2 and tried again. If that did not resolve the issue I would have returned the device for a new one. Now if it was stock AND had third party apps installed all bets are off. You would have to remove apps one by one to see which one was causing the issue and even then may have to perform a full reset.

Well, thanks for the advise. I had some apps but don't think that was the problem -- an unmovable stock app could be the culprit. The quantity of views/replies on DROID by Motorola forum in the DROID : Phone Sound Quality is not great subject tells me that many are experiencing phone issues.

Beardface

Reaction score

I'd first start by uninstalling that one app we've pinpointed and see if that helps. Uninstall it, then do a battery pull, and then have someone call you. It should help. If it doesn't, make a note of all the apps you have, make sure you have your contacts backed up (backup to your SD Card as well as make sure your Gmail account is up to date) then perform a factory reset. If you have your contacts backed up, the only things you'll need to do once you restore your phone (wiping to factory settings via the backdoor route is the way I went (hold x while powering on), and it took 5-10 minutes) is to restore your settings, sync contacts via your SD Card or Google, sign back into your gmail account, and then redownload programs from the Market. And even then, gmail records which apps you've bought, so you won't need to repurchase.

The process itself sounds a lot more difficult than it really is. If you have your contacts backed up, the process is relatively routine. Then, just download the programs you know you'll absolutely need, and you should be fine.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Simply put, if you don't like the fact that the phone can be laggy when you're running bad programs and you get an incoming call, wipe the Droid, sell it on eBay, and get yourself an iPhone, where Apple controls and regulates every application that goes into their store.
Another insightful "so why don't you pay several hundred dollars to break your contract and sell your phone" comment. Not useful and you should address the point.

My phone has NO bad programs running on it in the background - they are all Google's stuff. I am not the only one who also knows that the phone should always be a priority and no program should be able to override it or fight with the phone app for resources - period.

Personally, I like knowing there is no Big Brother of sorts controlling what I can and cannot purchase and run on my phone.
That's nice. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that Google really needs to address the above. It's sad when these guys here are creating more stable rooted solutions than one of the biggest companies on the planet. Unfortunately I'm also finding 2.1 added virtually nothing of benefit but did add additional instability.

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
That last statement shows that you have an internal problem with your phone and it's probably a bad app... or you need to reboot once in awhile... or clean up your internal caches...
Stop blaming the device just because you found two other people with the same problem... and don't bash on the android market... we like it the way it is and don't need any changes...

You really sound like you shouldn't be using android
Seems like you just don't like the way it's done

Beardface

Reaction score

Another insightful "so why don't you pay several hundred dollars to break your contract and sell your phone" comment. Not useful and you should address the point.

My phone has NO bad programs running on it in the background - they are all Google's stuff. I am not the only one who also knows that the phone should always be a priority and no program should be able to override it or fight with the phone app for resources - period.

Personally, I like knowing there is no Big Brother of sorts controlling what I can and cannot purchase and run on my phone.
That's nice. Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that Google really needs to address the above. It's sad when these guys here are creating more stable rooted solutions than one of the biggest companies on the planet. Unfortunately I'm also finding 2.1 added virtually nothing of benefit but did add additional instability.
Ok, I tried to be nice...

We've offered you multiple, and I mean multiple solutions to your problem. (fyi, the app we're talking about is not a Google app... just cause its in the Market does not make it Google) You've done nothing but complain and bash the Droid for something you expect it to do. You're completely unwilling to listen to advice, and just splice out 1 or 2 sentences in long paragraphs to bash us and explain why the Droid and the Android Market sucks.

Enough

If you're this unwilling to listen to advice, then you're too stubborn to own the Droid. You've paid for a device that will lag when it has a bad program running because the makers of the device aren't going to turn into a Communist regime where they control anything and everything that is put on it to make sure that they all meet the specifications of their devices. That's up to you to do, and if you are unwilling to do that, then sell your Droid and get an iPhone. I don't care how much it will cost you to break your contract and get a new device, if all you're going to do is whine and complain because of a 3rd party app that obviously is screwing up your system without heeding any of the advice people are giving you to make it better, then you're too ignorant to own an Open Source device.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
popcorn.gif

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
We've offered you multiple, and I mean multiple solutions to your problem. (fyi, the app we're talking about is not a Google app... just cause its in the Market does not make it Google) You've done nothing but complain and bash the Droid for something you expect it to do. You're completely unwilling to listen to advice, and just splice out 1 or 2 sentences in long paragraphs to bash us and explain why the Droid and the Android Market sucks.

We? You mean you and there hasn't been a solution. Most of us know the difference between the Google app versus an app from the Market. You can talk about bad apps all day but a well designed OS for a phone takes measures to ensure that none of these apps affect the functionality of the phone. And yes, the Android Market is very poorly managed, hasn't improved in a long time. If you can't handle the truth, simply do NOT read this thread. This will solve the problem you have.

If you're this unwilling to listen to advice, then you're too stubborn to own the Droid. You've paid for a device that will lag when it has a bad program running because the makers of the device aren't going to turn into a Communist regime where they control anything and everything that is put on it to make sure that they all meet the specifications of their devices. That's up to you to do, and if you are unwilling to do that, then sell your Droid and get an iPhone. I don't care how much it will cost you to break your contract and get a new device, if all you're going to do is whine and complain because of a 3rd party app that obviously is screwing up your system without heeding any of the advice people are giving you to make it better, then you're too ignorant to own an Open Source device.

Too ignorant? Undeserving to own a Droid? You don't care what it costs anyone but they should sell their Droid so you aren't "forced" to read a thread? Not too condescending to other members are we? Most other people here have been very nice and have tried to troubleshoot but, like others, it just isn't working for a good number of us and it's frustrating.

I'm willing to bet that it's possible that I have a great deal more experience than you do in creating mobile applications but I haven't lectured anyone as you have. Everyone has a right to own the phone and, if they are having a legitimate problem, I sympathize and hope we can work together to figure out what is causing the problem.

The only thing I've asked of a phones is simply that they work very well to answer calls. I've pointed out what seems to be a real flaw in the way the OS handles applications and hope that Google will make changes if enough people complain. No advice you're giving will change what should and could be designed better and properly.