Droid does not prioritize phone app above others

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
... and that is unacceptable, IMHO.

Welcome to a TRUE multi-tasking OS. 99.99% of the time this will never be an issue for anyone. Unfortunately there may come a time when an app that is downloaded is written like crap and goes whacky. It happens in Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, etc... Now it won't happen on a BB or an iPhone because they are mutli-tasking OSes. Also note that the BB runs a very basic OS as compared to Android. The iPhone OS although advanced is crippled by Apple. If you were to speak to folks that have actually jailbroken their iPhones and multi-task you will see that some have similar problems as well.

So before you say it is unacceptable try to understand the underlying technologies and operating systems at play.

Blah blah blah. Add a dedicated phone processor. It's unacceptable. It's gone.

LOL. Agreed. Just saw a new thread about 2.1 and the inability to reliably answer calls swiping. Unacceptable.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
There are always feature phones for those who find it unacceptable. :D

For the two of you mentioning this issue, are either of your rooted?

JCo352

Reaction score
Well the quickest way to troubleshoot this is to do a factory reset. This will bring the phone basically back to a default status. Wipes pretty much everything and ensure that it is as close to a virgin state as possible. If after doing this you still experience these problems the answer is that the hardware is flaky.

That isn't quick at all, unfortunately. Android provides no simple way of restoring apps and data onto your phone reliably. Doing a factory reset means investing several hours in having your apps, data, contacts/sync and organization of apps on your phone appear the way it should. The backup I have used hasn't been 100% reliable for restores after my testing. I'll take wired sync to my desktop PC any day over the spotty cloud backup. When the Blackberry Dakota comes out, I'm sure many will give it some serious consideration. At this point I have no choice except to try - but it seems I'm not the only one with this particular issue so I wonder if it really is just data corruption.

I don't know, I think the restoring of apps has become painless since the 2.1 update. I wipe everything before installing new Roms, and I sign in to my Google account, and everything comes back on it's own, minus data.

JCo352

Reaction score
... and that is unacceptable, IMHO.

Welcome to a TRUE multi-tasking OS. 99.99% of the time this will never be an issue for anyone. Unfortunately there may come a time when an app that is downloaded is written like crap and goes whacky. It happens in Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, etc... Now it won't happen on a BB or an iPhone because they are mutli-tasking OSes. Also note that the BB runs a very basic OS as compared to Android. The iPhone OS although advanced is crippled by Apple. If you were to speak to folks that have actually jailbroken their iPhones and multi-task you will see that some have similar problems as well.

So before you say it is unacceptable try to understand the underlying technologies and operating systems at play.

Blah blah blah. Add a dedicated phone processor. It's unacceptable. It's gone.

So you don't have a Droid?

Mule65

Reaction score
There are always feature phones for those who find it unacceptable. :D

For the two of you mentioning this issue, are either of your rooted?

I had a stock 2.1 Moto Droid for a month. Sadly, I'm back with my old LG Env2. But, I charged it Sunday, it's 50% and my wife can hear me again. :)

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Sounds like you have something that is not playing nice. I have not had your issue, but maybe the app announcing calls that you say
Unfortunately it always stutters and isn't quite clear
is your culprit.

That being said, the phone app does not reign supreme on Droid by Google's design... Nav voice does!?!?! Just try to talk over it

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Android 2.1 isn't playing nice. Look at some of the other threads from people who cannot answer their phone, even with a brand new stock 2.1 Droid. Regardless, as the poster said, this is all BS. They should have designed the phones to have priority and processing just for telephone calls.

Making a statement that the phone app doesn't reign supreme on a phone shows that the Android design is inherently defective for its primary purpose.

JCo352

Reaction score
Android 2.1 isn't playing nice. Look at some of the other threads from people who cannot answer their phone, even with a brand new stock 2.1 Droid. Regardless, as the poster said, this is all BS. They should have designed the phones to have priority and processing just for telephone calls.

Making a statement that the phone app doesn't reign supreme on a phone shows that the Android design is inherently defective for its primary purpose.

There are other phone manufacturers, and OS's you can get.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Your point being what exactly?

JCo352

Reaction score

Go get a different phone, all you do is complain about the Droid. Honestly if I were as upset as you about my phone, I would have had a different phone a long time ago.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Go get a different phone, all you do is complain about the Droid. Honestly if I were as upset as you about my phone, I would have had a different phone a long time ago.
Are we a wee bit insecure?

(a) When you pay the termination fees for all of us, we'll look at getting a different phone.

(b) If you can't stand people trying to identify actual problems and bugs with the Droid - and hoping someone compels someone to make fixes - then don't read this forum and certainly not this thread. Why bother replying?

(c) If I knew that the Droid wouldn't answer calls reliably, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But the fact is that 2.0 worked reasonably well with annoyances but the real problems occurred in OS 2.1, as many of us are experiencing. Feel free not to say anything. The rest of us will try to push Google to actually fix the problem or hope other developers will do something to remedy these issues.

JCo352

Reaction score

(a) When you pay the termination fees for all of us, we'll look at getting a different phone.

(b) If you can't stand people trying to identify actual problems and bugs with the Droid - and hoping someone compels someone to make fixes - then don't read this forum and certainly not this thread. Why bother replying?

(c) If I knew that the Droid wouldn't answer calls reliably, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But the fact is that 2.0 worked reasonably well with annoyances but the real problems occurred in OS 2.1, as many of us are experiencing. Feel free not to say anything. The rest of us will try to push Google to actually fix the problem or hope other developers will do something to remedy these issues.

Insecure? lol about what?
I for one have not had these issues, believe me or not, I don't care. But I hate to tell you, posting here is not going to get Google's attention. Why don't you go over to Motorola's page and complain to them? It seems you are getting nothing accomplished here.

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score

Insecure? lol about what?
I for one have not had these issues, believe me or not, I don't care. But I hate to tell you, posting here is not going to get Google's attention. Why don't you go over to Motorola's page and complain to them? It seems you are getting nothing accomplished here.
So if you don't have problems, then nobody else has them. And if other people do have problems, you don't care at all and threads reporting them bother you. That's thoughtful.

I don't know how to tell you this but this forum is a great resource for troubleshooting. It's not all about just thinking happy thoughts about your Droid. We want to know what to do when something goes wrong and see whether it's just us or part of a larger problem. Since there are a number of developers who lurk here, chances are they might see some of these issues and develop apps to deal with the problem. That's far more likely to fix the issues than sending yet another bug report to Google on the long, long, long list of outstanding items.

It seems like I'm getting plenty accomplished here but this thread has you totally out of whack, destroying your happy perfect experience with your droid. IGNORE THE THREAD like I'm going to ignore your further posts, which are the only thing not actually accomplishing anything. Enjoy your droid and don't expect answers should you identify a problem.

JCo352

Reaction score
Yeah, threads reporting problems bothers me, just check out my posts. They're mostly me helping people with those darn problems, that bother me sooooo much. No, what bothers me is your attitude, but that's okay, I see you're just a "glass is half empty" kind of person. Also, I recall that with Verizon, there is a 30 day return policy, why didn't you take advantage of that?

JCo352

Reaction score
Ok Slinky, me and you might not see eye to eye, but I may have a "fix" for your problem. Go in the market and search for "Tedd's Droid Tools" it should allow you to answer with the camera button, I have not tested it, I'm just stating what it says in the app description, but it's still in BETA, it might have promise.