Droid Dna scratch test?

Maksim

Reaction score
Hello all I am new here and was wondering if anyone has done a scratch test or drop test on the droid DNA yet? Being that it has gorilla glass 2 how does it hold up without a screen protector and a case. I just got the phone yesterday and I really like the phone its an awesome phone and I just would like to know if I can leave it as is and not have to get a case and screen protector.

rob1459

Reaction score
Hi, I have dropped my DNA no damage done. However I did purchase an otter box. Had one on my maxx as well.

zmandef22

Reaction score
Dropped mine

Hello all I am new here and was wondering if anyone has done a scratch test or drop test on the droid DNA yet? Being that it has gorilla glass 2 how does it hold up without a screen protector and a case. I just got the phone yesterday and I really like the phone its an awesome phone and I just would like to know if I can leave it as is and not have to get a case and screen protector.

I actually dropped mine from pocket level to ceramic tile floor. I don't have a screen protector nor case. I inspected my phone multiple times and found no damage. Not even a scratch or mark on the casing. This is a tough phone.

dls2981

Reaction score
I dropped mine from my lap onto concrete and it shattered, because the glass is above the edge of the phone. I had a Razr prior and threw it to demonstrate its strength. The dna has a fatal design flaw. The edge of the phone should come up over the edge of the screen, but it is the other way around on this phone. I have the gs3 now, but and am trying to decide if I want to repair the DNA and put it back on my account.

richiethec

Reaction score
I think the design flaw as you put it is also the beauty of the design. Swiping on the glass, which is kindof like an Infinity Pool, is amazing. But not surprisingly more likely to break.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've also read that the Gorilla Glass 2 is both "thinner and lighter" but still retains comparable resistance to scratches, however like the original Gorilla Glass, it makes no claim to being resistant to shattering. Glass is glass and until they figure out how to blend the flexibility (or plasticity) and molecular structure of a polymer into glass, it will remain inherently highly brittle, which makes it prone to cracking from impacts and high frequency vibration since it can't release the vibrations and flex through bending like Steel can.

Now, it seems there IS some progress being made to make Glass like Steel...

DailyTech - New Metallic Glass is Strongest, Toughest Material Available

jasper7821

Reaction score
I have a tiny hairline scratch in my DNA screen.
I have never rubbed it on anything.
I want it to be as thin as possible and keep it in my front jeans/slacks pocket and only the phone goes into my pocket.
I noticed one day while cleaning the screen I saw a tiny tiny line and it didn't come out so it's a very tiny scratch.
So this screen does scratch easily.
I don't know how or when I got it, but I'm very careful with it.

spider210

Reaction score
I have a tiny hairline scratch in my DNA screen.
I have never rubbed it on anything.
I want it to be as thin as possible and keep it in my front jeans/slacks pocket and only the phone goes into my pocket.
I noticed one day while cleaning the screen I saw a tiny tiny line and it didn't come out so it's a very tiny scratch.
So this screen does scratch easily.
I don't know how or when I got it, but I'm very careful with it.

ditto.

I keep nothing in my pocket but the phone, always have. never scratched my nexus. after 2 days of having my dna, there was 3 light but noticeable scratches across the sceen :(

OP
M

Maksim

Reaction score
Its funny how particles of dirt can scratch the toughest glass out there on the market im lucky enough to not have scratched my dna yet and i am debating wether or not i want to put a screen protector and case on the phone. It is just a beautiful phone without any case and i really like it like that. I find the otterbox cases are to bulky so i might get a skinomi full skin protector with a carbon fibre skin back.

Memnoch73

Reaction score
I have a small scratch at the bottom near my back button. I'm sure it came from my tugsten carbide wedding ring. I have now changed the way I pocket my phone. Used to be screen facing out. Now I pocket it screen facing toward my leg. No problem since but bummed I had to learn that the hard way.

silver90

Reaction score
Yes, it will break

My DNA fell form the dining room table to the tile floor and the glass broke terribly. It appeared to hit on the corner while mostly flat. No case at the time, but I have an otterbox now.

rob1459

Reaction score
I have a hair line scratch resulting from a drop waist high. I use otter box as well, wish my DNA was as tough as my RAZR maxx.

sabirc13

Reaction score
Dropped mine waste high onto a hardwood floor, no damage at all not even a scratch. I think this phone is too beautiful for a case

amdmanken

Reaction score

I dropped mine the second day I had it, and the screen cracked. I have heard that the Gorilla glass is not that great and several have cracked. I do have a screen protecter on the new one and a case.

amdmanken

Reaction score
Cracked

The night I got mine I dropped it from a seated positiion to concrete and the screen had a hairline crack in it. I have put a screen protector and a case on the replacement. I have also heard that alot of them have cracked.