Droid dials on its own

Steve H

Reaction score
I'm on my second Droid since last year. The first on decided to go crazy on me one day and dial on its own. Took it to the Verizon store and they replaced it. Today my replacement started to do the same thing. Anyone know what might be the cause of this? I'm not rooted.

Mateenager

Reaction score
Try using the Advanced Task Killer and clearing your programs out a couple times a day. My droid used to call the wrong person when I used to make calls and used to do some funky stuff whenever I would call or text, but I cleared my running tasks and it seemed to be fine.

cbushnell

Reaction score
Are you using the charger that came with the phone? After market chargers can cause problems. I've been using my droid since November and have never used a task killer.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I don't use a task killer and I have used 6 different chargers (inc Verizon generic wall and auto, Sparq and USB) and never had a problem. I have noticed something though. On rare occasions when I hit the on/off button to put the phone to sleep, it will come back on a second later. It rarely happens and I always notice it. I have tried to figure out if hitting some button or the screen immediately after pressing the on/off button causes it, but no luck so far. It doesn't require me to reenter the lock code when it does that. Anyway, last week, I must not have noticed that it came back on and put the phone in my pocket and when I took it out, it was on and had moved some of my icons around and deleted one. I've had the Droid since last November and this is the first time that I have apparently put it in my pocket while not asleep. It could dial numbers if this happened.

cuinoz

Reaction score
I got my Droid in May, and it also just makes calls. I had it on a table next to me, I wasn't touching the phone, and it dialed a number.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I got my Droid in May, and it also just makes calls. I had it on a table next to me, I wasn't touching the phone, and it dialed a number.

I remember something like this happening at work once. We could only have dumb phones, not even with cameras. We were working on a big generator with large very strong permanent magnets in it. Some of the guys working on it allowed their phones to get very close and they suddenly started to dial numbers on their own. It would happen anytime, even when nowhere near the generator. The magnets must have fried something. The phones were replaced and one of the guys allowed his new phone to get close and the same thing happened again. Perhaps certain electrical fields can damage a phone so that it does this. Of course, I suppose it could be some app causing some conflict.

Taegost

Reaction score
I get weirdness like you guys are describing, but it's usually preceded by lag and the home screen reloading every time it comes out of sleep mode. I've found that rebooting the phone at least every other day keeps the gremlins away :)