Droid Chargers

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by m3scott, Nov 21, 2009.

1. m3scott

m3scott New Member

I was going to buy the Verizon car charger for $30, but thought I'd share what I found to save someone else a few bucks.

Instead I got a Nokia car charger, a Blackberry wall charger, and a Blackberry USB cable for the same price... a much better deal and they all work fine being micro USB, plus they actually are Nokia and Blackberry brands, not no names.

http://www.bumblebeeelectronics.com was the site I used. Took about 4 days to my door.

Blackberry® Usb Datasync & Charging Cable With Micro Usb, 1 M
    Blackberry® Folding Blade Charger With Micro Usb
    Micro Usb Rapid Car Charger

I wish they had the docks, but at least I have all the chargers I need now at a decent price.
  2. orlandowdwcraze

orlandowdwcraze New Member

You haven't had any power issues have you? Thats the only thing i'm sketchy about is whether going from brand to brand makes a difference. If not that nokia rapid charger for $12 seems like a good deal and I need one
  3. homemadehitshow

homemadehitshow New Member

Monorprice.com will get you a car adapter or power line adapter + cable for around $4. USB charging is generic, there are different outputs that will charge faster or slower but you can't do any damage.
  4. m3scott

m3scott New Member

No issues. My Droid recognizes it is plugged in and charges fine, indicating it has a full charge. The microUSB is industry standard, so the most important thing is to have a good regulated power source. Some of the no name brands I wouldn't trust my Droid to, but being Nokia and Blackberry makes me feel a little better.

I wasn't even going to buy the wall charger but it was under $5 and has a nice long cord so what the heck.
  5. Stigy

Stigy New Member

Agreed.

I buy ALL of my cables/chargers from monoprice. This time around I purchased miniUSB -> microUSB adapters since I had SO many chargers for my G1/Blackberry it was stupid to buy all new ones.
  6. homemadehitshow

Such an uninformed comment :)

USB power is USB power there is nothing to not trust + most likely these things are all made at the same places and your just paying for brand names. Nokia and Blackberry do not make power adapters, they simply slap their name's on someone else's products.
  7. homemadehitshow

8. coronanlime247

coronanlime247 New Member

when you guys get these can you let us know if it improves charging time...that has been one of my pet peeves with the phone. I let it die yesterday and counted how long for it to get fully charged and it took alittle over 2 hours. I miss BB curve in the sense it took 45 minutes to be near full.
  9. amb4582

amb4582 New Member

Great info! I was just getting ready to ask this question since I am coming from a BlackBerry Storm, and all my Micro-USB chargers were geared toward the Storm (Home Charger for Primary Residence, Up North House, Car Charger)
    Good to know they are all compatible!!!!
  10. m3scott

m3scott New Member

I respectfully differ. :) USB carries 5v DC, but that 5v has to come from somewhere. A poorly designed power supply may not be able to maintain 5v under load or be regulated.

Here is one of many sites that talks about USB power.
    USB As A Power Source
  11. homemadehitshow

I like a good debate :)

1) The connectors in the cables are built with tolerance
    2) The connector on the droid can handle variances
    3) I have been using these connectors for a long time
    4) Monoprice is a well known company, with a great rep for product quality

I realize that your opinion is valid but it bothers me that people might be put off buying great products from a great company for a low price because you are creating doubts based on your theories not on actual product experience.
  12. m3scott

m3scott New Member

Actually I do have a cheap USB charger that came with a GPS puck that does not charge my Droid. It acts as if it isn't even plugged in and must be a voltage or current draw issue.

But I'm not knocking Monoprice, and wasn't even talking about them. I've never bought from them, and didn't know they sold non-brand chargers and do not know if they sell name brand chargers. I've never been to their site. That's all. They seem to have a loyal following, so they must be doing something right. ;)
  13. orlandowdwcraze

orlandowdwcraze New Member

Do you have a link to these adapters, I can't find them on monoprice. I had a bb curve and if I can use those chargers I would like to. thanx
  14. Stigy

Stigy New Member

They are OEM Motorola adapters: MOTOROLA OEM MINI USB TO MICRO ADAPTER FOR V8 V9 RAZR2 - eBay (item 200399848068 end time Nov-08-09 08:17:48 PST)
  15. WebmastuhB

WebmastuhB New Member

Well, here is my issue... I tried to charge my droid with the same charger that came with my Plantronics Voyager Pro headset.

Both are microusb and so, it shouldnt make a difference, right?

It charged the droid a little, (from dead to 5%) and thats it. This was also letting it stay connected over overnight. Needless to say I was a little pissed.

I still need to figure out why the plantronics charger didn't work right.

It really irks me that microusb is not universal, which appears to be the case.
  16. cranky

cranky New Member

I found that my plantronics charger (for my 975) wouldn't charge my droid either. Then I checked the ratings. The plantronics charger puts out 350mA, the moto charger that came with the phone puts out 850mA. At that rate (350mA) it would probably charge the droid very slowly. I have some other moto and apple chargers that put out 1A and charge the droid just fine (and maybe a bit quicker). The 1A chargers work fine on my plantronics and other mini/micro/usb gadgets too .
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  17. cuskit

cuskit New Member

Another +1 for Monoprice.com! All their stuff is first rate, high quality. You cannot go wrong buying there.

Aren't headset chargers (though microusb) a lower ma rating? My original motorola bluetooth charger was only 300ma. That would be a VERY slow charging rate for the Droid. I'm assuming... cuskit
  18. WebmastuhB

WebmastuhB New Member

That is unbelievable to me. I thought the WHOLE POINT of adopting microUSB as a standard was because it was a universal standard. I wish there was some way I could punish the dpsh*its behind this.

The charger that came with my droid has an output of 5.1V and 850mA. Its not much of a charger really, its a small thing that plugs into the wall that allows one to plug a microUSB cable into it.

So cranky, you are saying that hooking a 850mA charger to your headset does not damage it?

If that's the case, then I will standardize all my chargers at 850mA I guess.
  19. cuskit

cuskit New Member

That's exactly what I've done. And all my bluetooth (including the Moto305's) work fine with the higher mA.. cuskit :)
  20. phoniac

phoniac New Member

I did bump into a desktop cradle that came with a moto charger, that only costed me $3 extra on top.

so, you might wanna consider that, since you get a charger and the desktop cradle.:)
Search tags for this page
1.5 mah chargers for droid
2009 droid charger
amazon droid 4 1000 milliamp car charger
are all android charger cords compatible?

are all droid chargers the same

does the droid x and droid 2 have the same wall chargers
will droid global 2 charger work in droid 4
will the droid x and the droid razr use the same charger con