Droid Chargers

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by m3scott, Nov 21, 2009.

1. joemcp

joemcp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've gotten 2 cables and and an auto adapter from monoprice with no problems. I have only used the USB cables with AC adapters that came w/ the phone and the doc tho....

2. mikes

mikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Uh, that would be very interesting electronically. No, they don't work that way.

An ordinary charger (such as the standard one supplied with the Droid), has a voltage regulated output. It will put out a fixed voltage, across a wide range of current (up to it's max rating). How much current is drawn is a function of the Droid. The actual charge controller (which decides how much current/voltage to put into the battery, based on the battery's current state of charge) is in the Droid, not the charger. Having the intelligence in the Droid makes sense, since it allows the Droid to charge from a wide range of voltage sources, including USB.

If one were to have a "fixed milliamps" charger, then the voltage would have to vary enormously, depending on the sink impedance. When disconnected the charger would end up putting out thousands of volts, to create an arc (spark) to push the current through. Fixed current sources are available, but uncommon for consumer electronics.

3. therock

therock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure glad you didn't provide direct links to the parts. That would have been too kind. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. kaboyd

kaboyd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my experience with monoprice.com's wall chargers is not very good. I ordered two AC chargers and two usb cords, one six foot, one ten foot. The cables seem to work just fine if I'm using them with the OEM charger that came with my phone, or if I use them with my computer. The problem is when I use the monoprice wall chargers, my browser acts very strange while charging. Even though I have only one finger on the screen the page I'm viewing will zoom in and out very randomly and render my browser unusable. It just seems to me I got what I paid for, crap. I like the cables at any rate, just cant use the chargers.

5. crspyjohn

crspyjohn New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    same here, im looking for another ac adapter

6. masterxchief

masterxchief Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So is it not a good idea to use the car charger with the Verizon branding on it?

7. cuskit

cuskit Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have I missed anything about the VZW car charger being bad (or are you referring to the hissing)? I've been using mine with no issues at all.

How many have had issues with the monoprice ac chargers? I see one poster, are there more? My experience and that of most has been very positive - though I have only bought their cables.

Anyone? mike :)

8. masterxchief

masterxchief Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm asking about the Verizon charger because someone on the previous page said that there's a difference in the way it charges and can shorten your battery life.

9. mikes

mikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Charging is controlled by the Droid. As long as it's a regulated "charger" (meaning it maintains a pretty accurate 5 volts DC), and puts out at least 800mA, it should be fine.

I'm not familiar with the VZW charger, so I can't comment on it.

Some people appear to have troubles with the touchscreen or noise during calls when using some AC chargers. This is probably due to a poor quality charger which allows too much AC ripple through to the DC output.

10. masterxchief

masterxchief Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check my charger later and post back.

11. switchblade5984

Ratings:
    +0
    not having any problems with the VZW car charger i have :)

Search tags for this page
1.5 mah chargers for droid
2009 droid charger
amazon droid 4 1000 milliamp car charger
are all android charger cords compatible?

are all droid chargers the same

does the droid x and droid 2 have the same wall chargers
will droid global 2 charger work in droid 4
will the droid x and the droid razr use the same charger con