DROID camera button, melted...

romulus

Reaction score
My droid camera button just got melted. Read, this was an ACCIDENT. I did not want this to happen, nor did I put it in a situation where it had to. I put my droid on my kitchen table, and later on one of my parents put a candle next to it, and over a course of time the camera button melted and warped the side where the button is. Is this covered under my warranty currently? I bought the phone on launch day.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
My droid camera button just got melted. Read, this was an ACCIDENT. I did not want this to happen, nor did I put it in a situation where it had to. I put my droid on my kitchen table, and later on one of my parents put a candle next to it, and over a course of time the camera button melted and warped the side where the button is. Is this covered under my warranty currently? I bought the phone on launch day.

I'd certainly think so. If not, you might try giving a nice long bath to see if that helps.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ROFL, it not covered by Motorola , but if you have Asurion insurance you can shell out the deductible and get a new Droid, however they are backorded at the moment. good luck

-=Jason=-

Sweettooth

Reaction score
If you're paying that $7.99 a month or whatever for full coverage, I understand you can do anything to that phone and get a replacement. I'd say your best option would be to find a cheap blowtorch or soldering iron, re-melt the area and attempt to mold it back to factory condition.

:)

OP
R

romulus

Reaction score
If you're paying that $7.99 a month or whatever for full coverage, I understand you can do anything to that phone and get a replacement. I'd say your best option would be to find a cheap blowtorch or soldering iron, re-melt the area and attempt to mold it back to factory condition.

I can't do that, and I wouldn't risk it. It's already damage beyond a repair. I am covered by Verizon. So what does that mean, lol?

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I can't do that, and I wouldn't risk it. It's already damage beyond a repair. I am covered by Verizon. So what does that mean, lol?
are you saying you are paying the 7.99 insurance fee? or your Motorola 1 year warranty

-=Jason=-

OP
R

romulus

Reaction score

are you saying you are paying the 7.99 insurance fee? or your Motorola 1 year warranty

-=Jason=-
I am covered by Asurion, as I have found out. I am asking about both, really. Verizon, has no say, correct?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Actually I was just joking about melting it back, but I suppose if you had to pay for a new one or were getting a free replacement anyway, it might be fun. I think I'd either open mine up and fill it with peanut butter or make a bomb out of it like in Law Abiding Citizen. lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
don't mean to be a smartarse or anything, but what part of putting a candle next to a phone is a good idea?

hope you get it replaced, and wonder why it was only that part that got warped...

baniels

Reaction score
Next time install SetCPU on your candle and set a profile to knock it back when it gets too hot.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you melted the button (whether it was accident or on purpose) then Verizon will not take it back under warranty. Your only option is to send it to Asurion for replacement. They will charge you a deductible but they really don't care what you have done to it.

Reaction score
Having worked as a phone salesman, I concur. Your only option is to use insurance, because this is physical damage and not covered under any warranty. Good luck.

OP
R

romulus

Reaction score
don't mean to be a smartarse or anything, but what part of putting a candle next to a phone is a good idea?

hope you get it replaced, and wonder why it was only that part that got warped...
If you have read. My parents put a candle next to it, so it wasn't any of my doing. I was fast asleep, as I leave my phone in my kitchen.

Well, it also renders the phones camera useless, as it has onscreen. I guess I will send it to assurion.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you have read. My parents put a candle next to it, so it wasn't any of my doing. I was fast asleep, as I leave my phone in my kitchen.

Well, it also renders the phones camera useless, as it has onscreen. I guess I will send it to assurion.
only thing I use the camera button for is Snoozing my alarm in the morning and selecting stuff in recovery. I never use the camera button to open the camera app or take the picture

-=Jason=-

rwdfan

Reaction score

Ok, I am confused. Let me see if I have this straight. You say you left the droid on the kitchen table. Your parents put a candle next to it. I am having difficulty understanding how the heat from the candle got close enough to your phone to melt the button. Unless they placed a tea candle next to it, the height of the flame would probably be a minimum of about 2 inches above the table. The heat of a candle is almost completely dissipated straight up. There will be some heat surrounding the flame, but this would not reach too far in the horizontal direction. Unless the phone was elevated or propped up on something, it was below the height of the candle flame.

I don't get it. What am I missing here...