Droid Bluetooth paired to PC but cannot connect for file transfer

Smitty

Reaction score
Weird, I can transfer files from PC to Droid no prob via USB, but not via BT. Sending files from Droid to PC via BT works perfect. I must not have something on Win7 configured right.

NJKirchner

Reaction score
Have you tried the "Bluetooth File Transfer" app in the store? It worked for me.

As I mentioned in my follow up post, I had gotten the program and perhaps after a few different rounds of de-association /association I can now send from Win7 to the Droid.

I don't know how it exactly straightened up but the transfer process requires that I first open up the downloaded FTP app, don't try to connect to the laptop although the link should be valid. Then just try to transfer from the PC via normal means. It appears that as long as the app is open then the PC can connect and transfer ok.

Just wish I could set the default 'download to' folder

dbroadbent

Reaction score
Ok.... Did a little digging and was told directly from VZW support

"Bluetooth File Transfer is NOT supported and should not be expected to be enabled on upcoming software updates"

:icon_evil:

So beyond this I did try to download the FTP software listed in this thread, and although things were looking up, when I try to connect to my PC that has been successfully paired I get the error "Can't connect to target device. Reason: Connection Refused"

I have tried un-pairing/pairing to make sure things got done right and same results.

Although in the process of doing this post, I can now right click transfer on the PC to the Droid successfully for no good reason. :icon_eek:

But I thought that the "DROID DOES"? Why does VZW always nerf their great phones?

I can transfer from PC to my phone, but not the other way around. I also use PDAnet, which is supposed to have it's own bluetooth DUN FTP, and I even had the BT file transfer running, and no dice on anything... Just PC to Droid.

Last edited:

sticks

Reaction score
I just paired my VZW Moto Droid with my XP Pro machine. XP says it's paired (Passkey Enabled) and the phone "sees" the computer, but I get an error if I try to "connect" on the phone...BUUUT, I can right click a file on the computer, click "Send to Bluetooth Device", select my phone (had to "browse" because my old phone was showing), and click OK. File transfer completed. So all is good.

Oh, and I'm using the Bluetooth app that was mentioned. I haven't tried Phone to 'Puter yet.

naman919

Reaction score
Ok.... Did a little digging and was told directly from VZW support

"Bluetooth File Transfer is NOT supported and should not be expected to be enabled on upcoming software updates"

:icon_evil:

So beyond this I did try to download the FTP software listed in this thread, and although things were looking up, when I try to connect to my PC that has been successfully paired I get the error "Can't connect to target device. Reason: Connection Refused"

I have tried un-pairing/pairing to make sure things got done right and same results.

Although in the process of doing this post, I can now right click transfer on the PC to the Droid successfully for no good reason. :icon_eek:

Did you tell your bluetooth to "receive a file" on your comp?

I had the exact same problem, but here's how i sent a file.

Right click the bluetooth icon in your system tray and say "Receive a File" then, on your droid, go through the steps using the Bluetooth File Transfer app and viola!

No more "Connection Refused" message. :icon_ banana:

droidest

Reaction score
Found a way...

After reading through this thread, I downloaded Bluetooth transfer app and tried. But that didn't work. My old phone is LG Rumor from Sprint and I switched to Droid. I stoped-by one of the Verizon strore to help export-import my contacts but as soon as he (agent) saw I have a Sprint phone he said sorry we don't have that machine that does the transfer. You can go to this other store that will transfer your contacts for $$.

Anyway, while I was playing with, I found a way to transfer.
I use a Mac at home. So, I connected my old LG phone to my Mac via BT and transferred all my contacts to my mac. It created one file for each contact on my LG. Import all contacts to AddressBook on mac. Open AddressBook and select all contacts and right-click to export. It will create a file called vCards with no extension. Sign-in to gmail and import this file from mac and eventually all your gmail contacts are sync'd with your Droid. Took me 10 mins to complete these steps.

Hope this helps. I didn't wanted to spend extra $$ to transfer my contacts. It just seems lame that a phone is that is one of the best phones available in the market cannot handle transfer from another BT device. Too shame. Hopefully the will release a fix for this.

Last edited:

tehpriest

Reaction score
I have just read through the website as I was having the same problem. Send from Stone to PC but not the other way. Apparently you have to be rooted to have full functionality with this app. I do wish devs would state this in the description on the market.

M

Matth3w

I know this doesn't directly solve your problem, but just download Web Sharing from the market...turn on wifi, put in the password in your web browser window (I have the site bookmarked) and you can xfer any file you please with zero issues and no additional hardware.

AvanOsch

Reaction score
Got it!

I found the solution (Well.... For me anyway)
I'm using Medieval Bluetooth File Transfer, and also was getting the "Can't connect to target device" error.
Seems the basic BT functionality in Windows is not good enough. (Although some BT dongles do come with the needed functionality, which is probably why it works for some people)
I've had this problem before with other devices (WiiMotes come to mind)
After installing BlueSoleil, my Windows XP machine seems to finally understand what it's supposed to do!
After pairing the devices, Bluetooth File Transfer works like a charm: I can connect to my Desktop (without touching that PC), and download the files from the shared directory as needed, all from my Android.
Hope this helps someone.

AmeroAmigo

Reaction score
Having trouble with Droid X for Verizon

Unfortunately, I am having the same issue with the brand spanking new Droid X with Windows Vista. Made mistake? of purchasing Missing Sync for Droid and bluetooth error is same as above posts.

USB exchange of music with DoubleTwist is working for the iTunes stuff.

This seems to require a motorola driver to satisfy the Microsoft driver installation wizard.

All I have to say is that I am pissed.

Jaxx10

Reaction score
I too have the same problem .. but i found a workaround .... I have it paired and both on discoverable

Just open up the bluetooth file transfer app ...set it to discover ... then open up the blutooth logo and send file it will send and receive on droid... and visa versa ...u just cant explore 1 from the other but to at least send and receive file it must be done MANUALLY from each loc ( either on Android and accept on PC or visa versa )

I know its not the way it was intended but until somethin better comes along ...this seem ok to me to transfer data back and forth

nikoli

Reaction score
I too have the same problem .. but i found a workaround .... I have it paired and both on discoverable

Just open up the bluetooth file transfer app ...set it to discover ... then open up the blutooth logo and send file it will send and receive on droid... and visa versa ...u just cant explore 1 from the other but to at least send and receive file it must be done MANUALLY from each loc ( either on Android and accept on PC or visa versa )

I know its not the way it was intended but until somethin better comes along ...this seem ok to me to transfer data back and forth

This worked for me. Thanks!