Solved Droid Bionic, Can You Tell Me Two Things?

Climate_Dan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Original Droid
I'm a new member here at Droid Forums though I've come across threads here in various websearches I've done.

I have an original Droid smartphone. It's my second (the first one I lost while skiing) though I've always kept the same policy, which is about $75 monthly with unlimited data. I don't want to start some new policy with a two-year commitment. I like having a month-to-month policy without danger of penalties if I decide to do something different.

But this month I decided to try to upgrade to a used Droid Bionic from Amazon. When I replaced my first original Droid with the same exact model (but used) I was able to just call some automated number (I think maybe it was *611 but can't remember for sure) and it just switched me over. Surprisingly easy. So I think "well, I'll just try that with a used Bionic." I did read up enough to know that Verizon was clamping down and trying to eliminate its grandfathered unlimited data plans like mine. But the Bionic I located was very inexpensive and I decided to give it a try.

Many of you probably see this part coming but the Bionic got here and it's in great shape, but doesn't have a SIM card. And I think "wait, I read that Verizon Droid phones have CDMA not SIM cards," and it was then I learned "oh yes they do if they are 4G/LTE."

Here are my two questions:

A) What should I look for in a SIM card? I see bunches at super-low prices online. Do I need a special Verizon one? Will my plan to just switch my policy over work then, or will Verizon stop me because it's 4G/LTE? If I wanted to just make the most of my Bionic without putting it on the policy (i.e. camera and wireless access only) can I just stick any old SIM card in there?

B) What is I get another 3G Verizon phone, like Droid X2 (which is much more advanced than my original Droid)? I know I won't get 4G but still a big upgrade for me. No SIM card there to worry about. Do you think Verizon will block me there as well, make me change my policy, or can I slip by with the X2?

Thank you.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Welcome to Droid Forums! You have some interesting questions that I unfortunately not sure of answers for them. I would think you would need a verizon sim for the Bionic to work on your verizon plan.

sent from my sexy Note 4

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have bought several used phones (different Droid models) that required SIM cards. I think the SIM has to be activated to your phones IMEI in your Verizon account. New SIM cards are free for Verizon customers in a Verizon store. And getting a new SIM and activating the phone on your existing account does not change your plan at all. I did the same exact thing in August with my current phone...a Droid Maxx. Bought it from Swappa and walked into Verizon, told them I needed a new SIM. They put it in and activated my new phone to my existing number and no plan changes....still have the same plan and unlimited data. Should be easy if you have a Verizon store nearby.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Agreed. Verizon will issue you a SIM and there's no cost. Just make it 100% clear to the two that you are on an unlimited data plan and they had better not make and data plan changes that would jeopardize it.

I don't know how other carriers work so I don't even get why anyone would have to buy a SIM. Perhaps they're not free on other networks?

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

OP
C

Climate_Dan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Original Droid
I went by Verizon (open on Sunday, yay) like Sajokaz and Foxkat said and the dude there put in a SIM card for me, switched over my number, and stayed with me for the setup until I was confident it'd work. No charge. He said there's several people that come in with the same sort of concern. He said, no, there's not going to be any change to my unlimited data contract based on this.

It's working for what I've tried so far. I'm tethering it now, over 4G. I have not tried using the GPS directional stuff yet, which was another big part of my Droid use. Judging by Youtube, the 4G connection is hella faster than 3G was here where I am at the exact same place and position.

Like I said, I was worried Verizon would jack up my monthly payment if I switched, but apparently it will not. Of course I haven't received my next bill yet so I can't say for sure, but I think it will not. The Droid Bionic is very cool though, and I'm sorry I put upgrading off so long.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had a Bionic for about a year and it served me well, I really liked it. Enjoy your 4G phone, it is a noticeable difference when first changing from 3 to 4G.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Congratulations and we are happy to have been helpful in building your confidence to do this. Believe me. I have two unlimited lines and they will have to pry them from my dying hands. ;-)

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.