Droid and Cycling Apps

Bethany

Reaction score
I started cycling about 6 weeks ago and have a really nice computer, a Bonetrager Node 1, to go with the bike, however there isn't any way to track your progress with it or use via a map. It just spits out your trip info. If you want fancier, it looks like you have to buy some kind of monitor to get everything else.

Once my friend showed me how to activate the GPS on my Droid, I got MapMyRide and My Tracks to work (Duh moment). Both are nice apps but do different things. I got looking in the Android Market and downloaded Endomondo which loads up different things as well (didn't know cycling sucks for calories burned) and seems easier to use.

There just isn't one single app that does all of the above and I hate to juggle between several apps and log into different websites.

Anything less complicated and only needs one website to get your info?

Found another app that just does heart rate which would be cool as well. Maybe buying one of the heart monitor things for the Node 1 computer would be much simpler..LOL.

Kind of wish I didn't have to take my Droid, but if I want my rides mapped you have too.

techinv

Reaction score
Bethany:

Glad you're enjoying cycling, I've been riding for over 20 years. As good as the GPS in the DINC is, and as good as some of the apps that people are developing to sort of turn a smartphone into a training aid, I think you'd be better off with a cycling specific GPS from Garmin. The main reason is because it's so much easier to see your data in realtime with specific buttons for specific functions. Garmin has a web-based app that allows you to keep track of your rides, see them on a map, and all of the data points that you might want to see about the ride and your performance.

They're expensive units though. Since you've only been at this for 6 weeks, I'd suggest you look for one of the discontinued models on ebay (Edge 205/305) or Craigslist if there are a decent amount of cyclists where you live. Of course, if you're flush with cash, then by all means purchase new. Then you can keep your DINC in the back pocket of your jersey, nice and safe. I put mine in a ziploc bag to keep my sweat from destroying it. Hope this helps.

Charles

JimmyM

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just gotten into cycling myself and I am using Velodroid to map my rides. I briefly looked into getting a dedicated GSP but once i started using this there really wasn't any need. I think it is pretty new to the market but it has loads of great features. It is fast, easy to use and amazingly accurate.

Anyway, just thought I would through my 2 cents in :)