Bike Commuting app?

Yuri

Reaction score
My normal commute to/from work no longer involves a car... I use public transportation and/or a bike. I've been using the Cardiotrainer app, but burning calories isn't really why I do this... I enjoy riding a lot, but REALLY like the fact that I'm not sitting in traffic, burning gas, etc. I also use my bike for other trips... one or two things at the grocery store, getting beer at the corner store, even hitting McDonalds for a shake. Truthfully, some of those trips are QUICKER by bike! I'm more interested in how much gas I'm saving, or how much I'm NOT using my car, over how many calories I'm burning. It just doesn't seem right when Cardiotrainer posts (on Facebook) how many calories I'm burning while making a beer-run :).

Is there a different app than mytracks or cardiotrainer that I can use? I figured there would be something 'green' out there tracking people's carbon footprint, but searching the marketplace doesn't reveal anything like I'm looking for...

cinematicmatt

Reaction score
the only one i've seen is mytracks... my friend used it for his bike trips round brooklyn, and he can save them to his google maps and see his elevation and speed and such.. i guess if you know your average mpg in your car, you can use this to calculate distance and deduce your gallons that you're saving..

but that might be a bit hard to do after a beer run......

sherylhs

Reaction score
I've been doing a comparison between mytracks and Endomondo. I don't believe either do anything with your carbon footprint, but I also haven't looked. Endomondo is also free on the market.

I'm not sure which I like better, but I am leaning towards Endomondo.

Good luck with your search.
~Sheryl

kmo97

Reaction score
I use an app called Runner for biking.

It tracks you with GPS, and you can see where you went on a map. It also gives times, speed, etc. The speed isn't super accurate, but I use it for map, distance, and time,

I'd suggest looking into it even though it's for running.

Runner - Android app on AppBrain

OP
Y

Yuri

Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at Endomondo... Thanks for the suggestions