Droid 3 stability

Onlooker

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a Droid 3 a few months ago, tried every available alternate rom several times and repeatedly. It was stable for about a week several times right after the first boot after a new rom, but after that, it seems to randomly reboot every 24-48hours.

Does anyone here have a Droid 3 that is stable for weeks on end? (rom?) Others I've talked to reset also but I'm wondering if it's just a bad droid on design flaw.

Many users can't tell if their droid has rebooted or not, check the uptime'(under About Phone:Status, or terminal prompt) or leave some apps running that don't normally start on startup, if it ever disappears it might have restarted.

If a stable droid3 does exist, I might be inclined to get another.
Thanls

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Could be a bad battery, or even a bad charger

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I ran steel droid 5.6 on my droid 3, it would be stable for a couple of months then I would just restore a backup

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dougnsalem

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 3
I'm on my 3rd one since July 2011. I've had issues in the way past, like when it rebooted during a memorial service.... Overall, I like the phone so much, that I bought a refurbished one on Ebay for 60 bucks a few months ago. My last one started having the "BP Paniced" and stuck in airplane mode issues. I could have got a newer, better phone; but imho this one is awesome. I'm stock right now but will root again soon. Might be worth trying to get a replacement one under a manufacture defect.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
I'm on my 3rd one since July 2011. I've had issues in the way past, like when it rebooted during a memorial service...
Motorola Droids are known for powering back on from a powered off state.
Overall, I like the phone so much, that I bought a refurbished one on Ebay for 60 bucks a few months ago. My last one started having the "BP Paniced" and stuck in airplane mode issues. I could have got a newer, better phone; but imho this one is awesome. I'm stock right now but will root again soon. Might be worth trying to get a replacement one under a manufacture defect.
If there is still insurance on the device yes, but they have not been sold by Motorola for a few years and warranty only covered one year.

OP
O

Onlooker

Reaction score
Still even with everyones reply here, I have my doubts ANY Droid 3's are actually stable. I wouldn't be apposed to buying more if I knew I could get a 2.x.x rom stable for 7+ days minimum, but I couldn't get mine there. One has to run an app that doesn't 'remember it's last position' or auto start on boot, then see if it just 'disappears' one day to know if their phone has restarted, or possibly check system update ;p
Just thinking it's a fatal flaw in all the existing roms for the device.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
If you want a phone with a physical keyboard get a Droid 4.
If you need an app to tell if it rebooted, how much is the reboot effecting how you use it?
The Droid X (MB810) has GB/ICS Roms that are more stable than the Droid X2 or Droid 3.
The Droid X, Bionic and Droid 4 have KitKat roms.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Motorola Droids are known for powering back on from a powered off state.

Interesting. I've had Droids since the OGD, through the D2, D2 Global, RAZR, RAZR MAXX, and now the Droid MAXX. I don't think I've ever experienced the phone booting from a powered off state.

doogald

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a Droid 3 a few months ago, tried every available alternate rom several times and repeatedly. It was stable for about a week several times right after the first boot after a new rom, but after that, it seems to randomly reboot every 24-48hours.

Does anyone here have a Droid 3 that is stable for weeks on end? (rom?) Others I've talked to reset also but I'm wondering if it's just a bad droid on design flaw.

When I used my D3 it was pretty stable. There were one or two spontaneous restarts, but not many. That said, I found that the phone got laggy after a few days, so I had an app to automatically restart the phone every two days while I was sleeping. Still, before I used that app, it was pretty stable for me. The phone just got laggy (PARTICULARLY when placing phone calls - you'd open a contact, press the number to dial. The phone would do nothing. You'd do it again. Ditto. Finally, after a minute it would try to do those multiple dial commands. Man, what a piece of crap that Moto software was...)

My favorite ROM for it was Minimoto, but, honestly. most of the time I ran the phone stock rooted and debloated.

I still have my D3 and a few weeks ago I started it up, updated all of the Play Store apps with updates, and let it run. (I like to keep my old phone as a spare in case my current phone can't be used.) It ran fine for a few days until the battery warning hit.

Ok, all that said, I think that the D3 is a pretty crappy device these days and I suggest that anybody just get something newer. I'd think even Verizon prepaid with a Moto G would be a better experience than trying to use the Droid 3 at this point.