Platform Stability

stevenkimbell

Reaction score
I have had an Android since the early days of their release. I didnt own the first one or two, couldnt afford them at the time, but I worked for T-Mobile and had a lot of interaction with them.
I have owned a variety of handsets since those early days. I have only had one Windows phone, one Blackberry. But like I said, several Androids. Over the years I got used to the idea that my handset needed to be turned off and on regularly, daily in some cases; and on occasion, they all had to be backed up and rebooted. That's just the way it was.
Then I bought my wife an iPhone 4S. Other than when the battery has gone dead on a half dozen occasions, it has not been turned off for the past 18 months. No file system maintenance, no backup and factory reset, nothing.
I never thought about this until this week when my Motorola Droid, which has been a bit flaky for several weeks, finally started to lock up and my PC would not recognize it. I knew it was time for a backup and reset.
But Why? Why cant my Android platform perform as well as the iOS? Granted, I see the iOS as a toy based platform, but uncomplicated or archaic it isnt.
Can anyone give me any valid reason for why it is so much more stable?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Depends on the phone. My Galaxy Nexus had to be rebooted at least once a week. On contrary my maxx has 330 hours up time.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
If I need to reboot my phone, it is due to my altering programs loaded, or the latest and greatest updates from Verizon.
Other than this, my phone is on 24/7.
I am always making changes to the base OS, so I find myself power cycling the phone often, and every now and then, several times a day, but not out of necessity, only convenience.
As for IOS, Apple has the same IOS build, nothing changes, and by design, you are denied altering the files structure without going through the 'jailbreaking' process.
IOS was not designed to be altered, Android wasn't either, originally, but has since grown to accept this and welcome the use-alterable programming.
Android has become an OS based on user input and developer design, offering individual creativity in personal customization and modifications, unlike Apple, where the OS is always locked down, and you have no ability to alter or customize the base OS without again, going through the above-mentioned jailbreaking procedure.
Gaining 'root' access the first process in Android customizing, and is the beginning of your journey into modifications and ROM customization as well.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, most of the issues that cause slowdowns, force closes, and the necessity of a reboot are due to the skins that carriers and companies apply. With iOS you have one optimized iteration that can be tested far more thoroughly. On Android you're looking at not only base software having to work across multiple platforms, but all of that having to interact with carrier and manufacturer tinkering as well.

Let's not ignore the major issues that have come up with older iDevices trying to run the latest versions of iOS though =p