Droid 3 major slide-out keyboard problems...

Xander212

Reaction score
Within the past 2-3 weeks I have been having major issues with the slide-out keyboard and things seem to be deteriorating. I am not talking about the hardware which is terrific, but something is terribly wrong with the software. Very often periods will appear randomly in the middle of sentences without my double-spacing or pressing the period key. When this occurs either the cursor will take off and if I don't catch it, will speed thru several lines of empty page or the next word will appear 5-6 spaces after the period as if I had pressed the tab key. Within the last 2 days I have noticed that randomly I have to press the space bar twice to get a space and most recently again randomly I have to press a letter key twice in order for letter to appear. Again, this is random with no one key being the problem. I have PhysiKey from my Droid OG days. It never worked well with Gingerbread so I had it turned off but loaded on the Droid 3. I have begun to use it out of desperation. I find some minor relief, but not much and give up predictive and other features that came with multikey.
Keyboarding with the Droid 3 has become hell no matter in which venue I try to type....email...Handcent...notes...chatting on social lines etc. I know there have been some other keyboard complaints but does anyone have similar problems and does anyone know the solution? This problem defeats the major purpose of owning the Droid 3.

Last edited:

seven9four

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had a similar problem, though not as severe. I get the period and extra spaces thing a lot, again randomly. It seems like it's probably a software issue, so hopefully they put out a fix for this.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
I've seen someone with the period problem but cannot find the post to see if there is a fix in there. First thing to question is are the keys sticking? Next is have you tried a restart. Ultimately though, I think you're headed to Verizon for a replacement.

OP
X

Xander212

Reaction score
Absolutely NOT a stuck key.....not only restart but took battery out and restarted. Only thing left would be factory reset....

SuperShaw42

Reaction score
Within the past 2-3 weeks I have been having major issues with the slide-out keyboard and things seem to be deteriorating. I am not talking about the hardware which is terrific, but something is terribly wrong with the software. Very often periods will appear randomly in the middle of sentences without my double-spacing or pressing the period key. When this occurs either the cursor will take off and if I don't catch it, will speed thru several lines of empty page or the next word will appear 5-6 spaces after the period as if I had pressed the tab key. Within the last 2 days I have noticed that randomly I have to press the space bar twice to get a space and most recently again randomly I have to press a letter key twice in order for letter to appear. Again, this is random with no one key being the problem. I have PhysiKey from my Droid OG days. It never worked well with Gingerbread so I had it turned off but loaded on the Droid 3. I have begun to use it out of desperation. I find some minor relief, but not much and give up predictive and other features that came with multikey.
Keyboarding with the Droid 3 has become hell no matter in which venue I try to type....email...Handcent...notes...chatting on social lines etc. I know there have been some other keyboard complaints but does anyone have similar problems and does anyone know the solution? This problem defeats the major purpose of owning the Droid 3.

Same here

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jcamel695

Reaction score
I have been having a similar problem... been to verizon 3 times just today about it. I tried factory reset, they did too. It won't help. They are sending me a replacement since they don't have any in stock.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Mine has a ton of lag typing on the physical keyboard on non-mobile sites.

nmetheny

Reaction score
I have a DROID 3 with exact same issues, no sense repeating. My wife however has a DROID 3 that seems to work perfectly. Of course I will be all over the two to see if there is any differences that I can see exp. kernel version, ROMS, update revisions. Since I have this opportunity, I am seeking any advise on what else to possibly check for. I am computer savy and have been for 20 years or so but my days of smart phone tech experience starts right here. Of course I will post all I find in hopes of helping to solve this really pain in the tush new game DROID 3 put out called "Chase the Cursor" Version 2 of this new entertainment (NOT) game will include a "guess where it lands->Double your money" feature. Oh, should I mention that in this game "money" = FRUSTRATION! Thanks for any help in advance.

SeanS

Reaction score
Hi, everyone

I had the exact same problem with the space bar. Last night I checked for updates on my phone, and version 5.6.890 was available. I ran the update and I have not a had a problem with the keyboard since then.

It is a bit early to know for sure, but it seems to be corrected.

Hope this helps

Fr33dom

Reaction score
In case you don't already know, go to Settings, About phone, System Updates. It will force the check for the update. You might want to do it with the phone in the charger though since it took mine a long time over 3g.

The update seems to fix the issue.

shaf786

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced problems with the keyboard. I have to press buttons twice because it doesn't register the first time round. Mainly the space button and letters at the bottom end of the keyboard

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk