Droid 3 Bluetooth Pairing, but not Working in Audi

pbsene

Reaction score
My old Droid paired and worked fine with my 2007 Audi bluetooth setup - displayed Please Wait for a couple seconds then listed contacts in car's instrument panel. Answer phone, etc. from steering wheel button.

New Droid 3 pairs just fine but the instrument panel display never leaves the Please Wait screen.

Suggestions?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's possible there may be a firmware upgrade to the system in your car. Check online or with the dealership. You might want to contact google with an email or Verizon customer service to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

OP
P

pbsene

Reaction score
Thanks for the note. Audi tells me they have no Bluetooth updates available - VZW tells me they don't support this issue. I think I will try VZW again as sometimes different operators have different skills/motivation.

OP
P

pbsene

Reaction score
OK Here is an update on my travails. I sent an email to Audi USA describing the problem yesterday. Have notheard back from them.

I removed the facebook, twitter and linkedin accounts from my phone thinking that the car may be trying to pull all those contacts and post and photos over. I may be on the right track as I can now see my contacts in my instrument panel and I can talk and hear over the car's system. I still cannot dial from the steering wheel button though so I have to dial from the phone.

Not happy about having to remove the social media accounts, and dialing from the phone is a bit more risky than from the steering wheel. ALso, I made a call yesterday and in the course of about a 15 min conversation, the bluetooth disengaged from the car 3 times. Still not acceptable.

Hopefully, Audi will get back to me about a firmware upgrade (needs more memory?) and VZW will push an update that will help because I am almost out of ideas. I am also looking forward to the promised blue-tinged photo bug fix on the D3 camera...

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with all the slight differences in Bluetooth hardware and software issues will likely be a normal thing as new systems roll out over the years. Hope they get it all solved for you.

freefx

Reaction score
We have an 09 A3. Both my wife and I have D3's and both have similar problems. I can scroll through my contacts in the display but can't voice dial from the steering wheel. Both of ours disconnect after a period of time, but the phone thinks it is still connected. I don't even connect to the car anymore, hope a fix comes along sometime.

OP
P

pbsene

Reaction score
So I exhausted all of the Audi and VZW resources to no apparent avail.

Then 2 things happened, I removed the Skype app (pretty much failed attempt to use the front facing camera function with Skype that the built-in Skype does not have as an option) that I downloaded and I accepted a VZW firmware update sometime last week

One of these 2 things fixed my problem! I now have full functionality for about a week now, and have not even been un-paired from my Bluetooth at random times (like what used to happen with my Droid 1). As a scientist, I should now reload the social apps and Skyp one by one and in various combinations in order to see what caused the problem but, like the guy whose roof doesn't leak when it is not raining, I will surely put this off for another day... Thanks for all the help.

freefx

Reaction score
Good new!

I'll turn my bluetooth back on when I'm in the car. Hopefully, the update fixed my problems, too. If that doesn't work, then i'll start deleting the bloatware apps and see if that helps (after I root, of course).