Droid 2 World or iphone 4 (verizon)

sammy996

Reaction score
I cannot decide what to purchase. Can someone help?

1. I had the incredible. The battery life, even with all the tricks, was embarrassing and I would not recommend that phone to anyone simply because of that. I even had the extended Verizon battery. However, the screen and the zoom etc was good. Call sound quality was iffy.

2. I don't "need" GSM so that is not a deciding factor.

3. I care about battery life, not sure if I need the keyboard but nice to have I guess.

Anyone have any deciding factors to help me?

plutonium0587

Reaction score
I cannot decide what to purchase. Can someone help?

1. I had the incredible. The battery life, even with all the tricks, was embarrassing and I would not recommend that phone to anyone simply because of that. I even had the extended Verizon battery. However, the screen and the zoom etc was good. Call sound quality was iffy.

2. I don't "need" GSM so that is not a deciding factor.

3. I care about battery life, not sure if I need the keyboard but nice to have I guess.

Anyone have any deciding factors to help me?

Depends on how much freedom you want with the device. I LOVE jacking around with the phone and changing stuff and even with the locked bootloader, my D2 allows me to do that with ROMS ect so I don't feel like I'm necessarily locked into Motorola (or Apple) to tell me how my phone will look and feel and act. I'm not going to bash the iPhone. They are good phones and do for the most part what they were designed to do. I like the physical keyboard a lot for typing long emails and texts. I do have to say though that if I were to go no physical keyboard I would go with something like the DX and get a huge screen out of it. Only thing the iPhone has that I wish my D2 had was a front facing camera but other phones will come out with that and its not even a widely used feature right now so no big deal, especially since it needs 4g to video chat and iPhone4 doesn't have 4g anyway. Right now my battery life is awesome on my D2 with LibertyRom. I can go a whole day and then some and even then, who needs to go more than one day without either being in a car and charging or plugging it in at night. If you are up more than 24 hours on end then you have other problems and the extended batteries are good. My D2 is my first Android phone and I can't see myself going to anything else for a while. The lineup of Android devices never ceases to impress me and for anything the iPhone or iPad can do, my D2 or any other high end Android device can do just as good or better. I have also only had one occasion where the Android market didn't have an app I wanted and the iPhone did. With all those thousands of apps you think that would happen much more often, and out of all the apps I download, I may use 15% of them regularly. Hope that helps.

droidmatic

Reaction score
Depends on your priorities, if you want a very polished but not very customizable device, go with the iphone. The d2 is a great device, but not really very polished. Also, to get some of the cool roms and things, you have to have a d2, not the d2g. Really you would be better off wating for something like the tbolt coming out. Since its a big fancy flagship device, you are going to get lots of support, and sense is miles better than blur if you aren't into customizing. I don't know how the battery life is on it, but it probably won't be a ton better than the incredibles was though :(. My wife gets fine batt life on her dinc, but who knows how much she really uses it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I think it's a little funny that you came to an Android website asking whether you should pick the iphone 4 or an android phone. plutonium's response seems obviously android biased, and so does droidmatic's to a lesser extent. No offense to you two, I share your views for the most part.

As for the OP, I'd wait for the Thunderbolt from HTC, unless a physical keyboard is a big deal for you.

Reaction score
If battery life is your biggest priority, get the iPhone. That's all there is to it. They're slower, smaller, and more restricted.. But those all contribute to better battery life. If you want a better phone, get a Droid.

plutonium0587

Reaction score
Well of course I am going to be somewhat biased, but I wanted to tell what made me choose the D2. I'm not an iphone expert, there are others of those out there lol. I can see how the iphone to VZW thing is causing people to question things though. A lot of people didn't have a choice before and so it was automatically Android, but now that the choice is there, I think people are going to look harder at which phone to get.

OP
S

sammy996

Reaction score
I agree I might be getting biased responses being on a Droid site but it is a very informative forum and I was not sure where else to go. Also, hearing why I should get a the D2 World is a help too and even droid lovers might point out a flaw or 2 in the D2 world that I did not know. I have noticed the new HTC on its way. Looks interesting. I had an incredible and loved it except for the incredibly bad battery life even with the 2050 battery and 2.2. 2.3 has indicated a big focus was on battery life so we shall see.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Well, I love my D2 but I have been following the excitment over at

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Oops. Over at Tipb for the Verizon forum. U should read some of rhe posts over there. Lots of Android people are shocked at some of the limitations of IOS.
http://forum.tipb.com/verizon-iphone-forum/
I have to get a phone with larger screen, so I am in a delima about which one to wait for. Get an LTE type or wait for the X2 or one of the others that will remain 3G. Seems dumb to get LTE when I won't have that service where I live for years. I have read that the Thunderbolt will work great on 3G. ?????

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get a D2G. Wait, get an iPhone. But then again D2G is better. But the iPhone has a better app store. Do you like Steve Jobs? How many times have you posted that you hate him? iPhone has the best screen. Droid is opens source. Did you look at the other 20 or 30 posts on this? That's ok, there will be 20 or 30 more after it. iPhone is for teen age girls. Droids are for nerds. What, you're neither?

Then get a Blackberry!

Problem solved! And you're welcome. ;)
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

d3vilfish

Reaction score
Get a D2G. Wait, get an iPhone. But then again D2G is better. But the iPhone has a better app store. Do you like Steve Jobs? How many times have you posted that you hate him? iPhone has the best screen. Droid is opens source. Did you look at the other 20 or 30 posts on this? That's ok, there will be 20 or 30 more after it. iPhone is for teen age girls. Droids are for nerds. What, you're neither?

Then get a Blackberry!

Problem solved! And you're welcome. ;)
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

:)
why oh why did verizon have to get the iphone

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't know. It was a sad day when I had to admit that finally one of the rumors were true. That crow don't taste too good.

Interesting however that they are not selling like they thought they would. Apparently most Droid owners are staying with their Droid or waiting on TB or Bionic.

d3vilfish

Reaction score

I don't know. It was a sad day when I had to admit that finally one of the rumors were true. That crow don't taste too good.

Interesting however that they are not selling like they thought they would. Apparently most Droid owners are staying with their Droid or waiting on TB or Bionic.

I really didn't think to many people would switch. I figured it would be att people coming over. No way I would go to the walled garden

bwhite757

Reaction score
I love it for the fact it's extra business for me. I repair iPhones on the side, and it is like taking candy from a baby. I have FREQUENT customers, that literally bring me an iPhone 4 with a broken screen, I repair and give it back to them, then two weeks later they're back!!! I've been doing this now for about half a year, and 1 girl has brought me her iPhone 3gs 3 times, and then switched to the iPhone 4, and I've already repaired it twice. My town has a population of 60,000, and on average I repair 10 phones a week, mainly for broken screens.

The screens on the iPhones are literally brittle and break/crack very easy. Build quality is not as good as they look, and now with the i4 you can even shatter the back cover, which is an easy fix, but still not a good design IMO. If you keep it in your pocket or purse, it's only a matter of time before you're coming to see me to repair it. And even if you don't, i4's cannot withstand any kind of significant drop, if it lands on the corner, it will break period.

My Droids on the other hand are fairly indestructible. My wife throws hers in her purse without a cover, and has been doing so for over a year now with no problems. I've had a Droid get dropped in a running bowling pinsetter (I'm an IT for a bowling alley chain in the SouthEast) and get tossed around for a minute or two before I could fish it out, and come out without a scratch. If you're rough on phones, I wouldn't even look at the iPhone, you'll end up spending more than the phone is worth in repairs, just ask my customers... ;)