Droid 2 sending multiple emails

Discussion in 'Droid 2 Tech Issues' started by Lloyd6770, Jul 7, 2011.

1. andrew.lee

andrew.lee New Member

I was on the phone with motorola support for a couple hours today and there is currently no known fix for the issue other than to use a 3rd party app
    Improved Email is a free one and for $20 Touchdown is another that comes highly recomended by my colleagues
  2. crashohno

crashohno New Member

We've also had this issue in our company- We've narrowed it down to "smart forwarding." The engineers at motorola were able to duplicate but are "getting back to us" on whether this is the actual cause. Long story short, turning off smart forwarding has stopped this issue for us.

To Turn off: Go to Settings, Battery and Data manager, Data delivery, Email and corporate sync, scroll down to smart forwarding, uncheck it.

*Edit: Hey, plus 1 for me signing up for this service just to share the wealth! Also, it should be noted that this only affects Motorola devices- Can't remember if this had been noted before*
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. Webarnes99

Webarnes99 New Member

Thanks. Going to turn off Smart Forwarding and hope that helps. Let us know if they "get back to you" with anything else useful.

Wes
  4. dhubbard

dhubbard New Member

Multiple E-mails

The airplane mode worked, and I was able to get it out of the system.

Any long terms fixes?

Thanks
  5. snootalope

snootalope New Member

Can anyone else confirm what Crashohno posted? (thanks for posting that by the way) Does turning off the smart forward resolve the issue?
  6. sbrinkley

sbrinkley New Member

Stop the duplicates

Delete the message from the user's phone and mailbox. A secretary here at work figured this out and it stopped the messages.
  7. mannymd

mannymd New Member

This is happening to us also. Not just on Motorola droid phones. It also happens on HTC droid phones.
  8. Novablue

Novablue New Member

Same issue for me as well. Droid X here. We have other users with Droids (HTC, Samsung) but I'm the only user with issues. I see several posts on here about this issue.
    Currently the problem occurs with any Exchange email but can be easily reporduced consistently if I try to send an attachment. Problem occures on Wifi AND on 3G. I always get an "error" notification if it sends more than 10 emails. I usually get an authorization certificate error.

Airplane mode works great for killing the message. But how does one know the phone is going crazy? By the time I get the "Message not sent" notification more than 10 emails are sent.

I'm trying the "turn off smart forwarding" method if that doesn't work I'll have to buy an app I guess.

Too bad the manufactures can't fix this.

EDIT: I only got the email to send twice instead of 20 times but so far turning off smart forwarding still allowed some of the multiple emails to repeat.

EDIT 2: After spending a couple hours and multiple different things I downloaded the App Touchdown. 3rd party apps seem to be the only fix for this.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. Lloyd6770

Lloyd6770 New Member

So this problem has reared its' ugly head again. Has anyone heard of any fix from Verizon? I think my first test is going to be to turn off Smart Forwarding.

I am about to call Verizon to talk to them about this issue, to see if they have any kind of fix or anything.

Edit: After talking to Verizon tech support levels 1 and 2, Motorola tech support levels 1 and 2, and then getting handed off to Motorola's enterprise center, they answer I was given is to turn off Smart Forwarding. In my eyes, that's not really an answer, it's more of a band-aid over the problem, but it does seem to have worked. Here are the steps to turn off Smart Forwarding for the Droid 2. Go to:

- Inbox
    - Menu
    - Email Settings
    - Smart Forwarding
    - Uncheck Smart Forwarding
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  10. kv2

kv2 New Member

Seeing email duplication inbound and outbound, non-corporate

I started seeing this issue on my Moto Atrix about a week ago. It'll appear to duplicate emails in my inbox (doesn't actually if i look with a real mail program), and it'll definitely send 4x or so the same message.
    I've got no corporate accounts defined, just simple IMAP. Two accounts, happens on both. "Smart Forwarding" isn't enabled, since it's not corporate, and I can't access the menu item.
    I've deleted both accounts and added them back. It was ok for a bit, maybe after I added them back, and then went back to having everything in my inbox multiplied.

Pretty ghetto.. Really odd that it *just showed up,* since there wasn't really any updates recently (no main system updates). If anyone had the issue with non-corporate email and/or has an alternate fix, I'd love to hear it.
  11. hamilton

hamilton New Member

repeating emails on the forward function

Thank you very much for the advice on how to turn off the smartforwarding button. This has solved the mystery that I have been
    having for several months and some embarrassing scenarios with people getting repeated forwardemails somtimes 20 or 30 until you
    figure out how to break the cycle.This is definitely a motorola issue/quirk that needs to be fixed and fast. Thank you again for this vital tip. I have an attrix and came very close to heaving it overboard for a IPhone because of this bizzare operational issue.
  12. tgelhardt

tgelhardt New Member

Exchange Active Sync, Motorola Razr Maxx, Android, emails send over and over

We have started seeing this issue with some of our Verizon/Motorola Android users.
    Same symptoms mentioned before, is there a fix yet?

User forwards or re-sends an email from his Razr Maxx, the email has an attachment and the email continues to send over and over. I cannot figure out why it's doing this for one, we do not have Smart Forwarding on so "un-checking" that setting on the phone is not a "fix". And two, it does stop eventually, without any indication as to why or how it stopped.

I can't believe this has been going on for over a year and there isn't a fix yet. WTH?
  13. beefchopper

beefchopper Member

I have the same issue intermittently on my Droid X and I do not use Exchange. For whatever reason, from time to time, I get multiple copies of the same email on my phone (but not on my desktop).
  14. schmjdt

schmjdt New Member

I have the exact same problem with my Motorola Electrify. Sent someone about 19 emails yesterday. I powered off my phone, but when i turned it back on this morning 4 more went through. I went into outlook and pulled up the sync issues folder and deleted the items from there, that stopped them from sending.

Like the others mine occurred when forwarding an email with attachments. I'll try turning off the smart forwarding and seeing if i can duplicate the problem
  15. tgelhardt

tgelhardt New Member

Is it the attachment size?

Ok, since my earlier post we continued to test this out.

In our case, this appears to be related to the size of the email and attachment that is being forwarded.

First thing this morning my user had forwarded an email w/attachment that was 7mb. This email continues to send multiple times without any consistent time between sending. I had the user forward an email to me with an attachment that was roughly 150kb and it only sent one time! Hey, is there something to this?
    Out of curiosity, what size are the attachments you guys are forwarding?

Now something else to consider, and I believe was mentioned by someone on here. When my user opened the email on his phone that he was going to forward, it says something to the effect that it's "still loading the message". This indicates to me that the email is rather large (to me 7mb isn't all that large). Without much thought he forwarded the email anyway and since then the problem has been happening...
Search tags for this page
android email duplicate emails in outbox
android email keeps sending

android keeps sending same email

android phone keeps sending same email

android phone keeps trying to sending same email

android sending multiple emails

android sending out duplicate emails
droid 2 sending duplicate emails
motorola electrify keeps sending emails

my droid keeps sending emails

phone sends two emails