Droid 2 sending multiple emails

Lloyd6770

Reaction score
This is in a corporate setting with Exchange 2010 SP1. We have roughly 15-20 users that have Droid 2 phones with their company email and such on it. I have one user who is reporting that on occasion, when they send an email from their phone, the email is being resent over and over with a few minutes in between each one. The most recent report of this sent the same email 11 times. It does not do this to every email sent from the phone, only on occasion. I don't believe this is a phone issue, as this user just received a refurbished like new phone from Verizon, and within a week was doing it to him again. I have completely wiped the phone as well as wiped and readded the email account.

Unless any of the users are doing it without others knowing, no one is using Touchdown, or any other email apps, just the standard email app that comes with the phone, and no one else is having any issues.

Does anyone know what would cause this? My suspicion is that the user has downloaded some other apps, and one of them may be interfering with his email.

Edit: I just got some more information. The user said that every time his phone sends the same message multiple times is when he is forwarding an email in his inbox to someone else using his phone. I hope this extra bit of information helps.

Edit 2: Got a little more info. The users standard Outlook shows all of the sent items as well as on the phone. Also, I verified that the recipient is getting the email every time the phone sends it, so they are getting many copies.

Last edited:
OP
Lloyd6770

Lloyd6770

Reaction score
No one even has any thoughts? This issue has not gone away, and I could really use some help.

OP
Lloyd6770

Lloyd6770

Reaction score
It has been over 2 weeks since I created this thread, and not a peep from anyone???

mpapier

Reaction score
Did you ever determine the issue?

I have a user who is experiencing this when forwarding messages. They have currently sent one email nearly 70 times. It is a forward sent from a Droid X2 via Exchange 2010. Thanks!

snootalope

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a fix for you, but I can say I'm seeing the same thing with our Exchange 2010 box and Droid2's. The issue for us comes on messages forwarded from the phone that have attachments. They duplicate themselves over and over until the user powers off their phone and brings it back up. That's the only fix I know of so far.

I've tried wiping the phones as well, everything works as normal till they forward a message with an attachment. Weird thing is, it doesn't seem to be every message, only random ones start duplicating.

I'm on the edge of whether its the phones fault or not. Pulling that battery stops the issue, so it's almost like the phone is stuck in send mode and can't acknowledge it actually sent the message, so it just keeps trying. ???

Anyway, you're not alone and believe me I'm just as frustrated with this issue as the people who get 50 copies of a 3MB attachment email whenever this happens..

mpapier

Reaction score
For now this is impacting only one user. I deleted and rebuilt their corp sync account on the droid and tested forwarding emails with attachments a handful of times and could not get it to repeat itself. We will definitely keep an eye on it. Before I could actually get my hands on her phone, I just created an Exchange Rule to purge the messages.

OP
Lloyd6770

Lloyd6770

Reaction score
The specific issue I'm having, I don't believe the forwarded email from the phone has to do with an attachment. I do believe though, that it happens to every single email this one user forwards from their phone. I will have to find out if they are powering off the phone to make the constant forwarding stop, or if it's stopping on its' own, as I don't know the answer to that one.

I was thinking that maybe it was a communication issue between the phone and whoever the email is being forwarded to. It kind of sounds like it could be the server at the other end acknowledging that my user is trying to forward an email, but for some reason, it isn't acknowledging that the email was successfully forwarded, so it keeps trying over and over.

Another theory of mine is that the user has downloaded an app that is, for one reason or another, interfering with the forwarding of messages. It would be rather odd that only the forwarding of messages is affected though.

snootalope

Reaction score
Wow, we're definitely not seeing the issue with every forwarded message, attachment or not.

On a side note, after I wiped one of my users phones and tried over and over to reproduce the issue, I couldn't. However, when that user jumped state for business and forwarded a message with an attachment, the issue returned. It wasn't every message with an attachment though, only one. Nothing really special about the message either, attachment was about 3MB which is nothing out of the ordinary for us. Yanking the battery again was the short term fix.

petem245

Reaction score
emails stuck in auto send

I have just started have this problem. Only with the exchange 2010. Only with emails With attachments that I forward. I can take the email in question and send it to anyone and it will Have the same problem. An email that is not effected I can send to anyone and it does not develop the problem.

I turn the phones airplane mode on. Wait about 2 minutes then go into my mail box and choose the out box. The email will be there and with the phone in airplane mode it will let you open it and delete it.

My company just upgraded the exchange server. I will see what he did. I send 20 emails a day with no problems. Now I am afraid to send even 1. 1 customer got 75 emails before he could reach me and tell me about the issue.

Any clues yet??

chinoxlz28

Reaction score
I am running Exchange 2010, and am seeing the same issue with nearly every Droid I support. At least 20 in the environment so far that have had the issue. Have wiped all the phones and reloaded factory defaults...removed & added back the Corp sync...still coming back with forwarded emails that have attachments. Very frustrating especially when dealing with those special type of VIP people we all know.

OP
Lloyd6770

Lloyd6770

Reaction score
Anyone heard any updates on this issue, or have figured out a work-around for it? Something besides, "Hey, don't forward emails with attachments from your phone."

brochaos

Reaction score
i manage about 500 phones which are connected with EAS on exchange 2010, and just in the past month we've been seeing this problem happen more and more frequently. we mostly use D2Gs and DINC2s, and it really only seems to happen with D2Gs as far as i can tell. but the symptoms are the same, forwarding emails with attachments. trying to duplicate the problem. but yes, the VIP people in the company aren't very happy with the current situation.

johnnyringo357

Reaction score
Before I could actually get my hands on her phone, I just created an Exchange Rule to purge the messages.
What is this Rule that you created as I am having the same problem with our companies Droid X and Droid 2 phones.

OP
Lloyd6770

Lloyd6770

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with this issue? As far as I know, it hasn't gone away yet.