Droid 2: It's no Droid 1

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I leave Wifi, GPS, BT all on 24/7. Have a wifi network at work and at home that I connect with when in those places. BT connects to my laptop for occasional file transfer, and for Android Notifier (geek fun). GPS only gets used when doing Nav, so leaving it "on" is generally a non-issue for battery life - if you're using Nav 99% of the time you're in your car using power anyway.

Battery life is better than w/my D2 (a "bad" day for me on the D2 is 30% at around 10PM - that would have been a very good day on my D1, and that's using the same battery that I used in my D1), D2 keyboard is 100% better, D2 speed is better, D2 never gets bogged down like D1 would even when the D1 was overclocked to 1GHz...D2 is clearly a better HW platform than D1, that is just inarguable.

There is a much, much smaller range of D2 ROMs available for those who are rooted, but hopefully that will improve over time. There is a just SMOKIN' D2 theme available, however, from 928Droid in the themes section of this forum. :)

Oh - and the Email client on the D2 (does Exchange and IMAP mail accounts) is much better than the same Email client on the D1 - that is one thing that moto did really well. D2 Gallery is also much better organized and much faster than D1 Gallery.

Facebook sync and contacts app on D2 not so wonderful, but eminently usable.

Blur is there, but I ignore it, use Launcher Pro and Blur is a non-issue for me.

Can't overclock, probably never will be able to, not concerned...as I noted above, D2 is faster than my D1 was overclocked to the same clock speed anyway.

D2>D1...I was a huge D1 bigot, started out not wanting a D2, really glad I ended up getting one.