Droid 2 vs Droid X

Lucidpsychosis

Reaction score
Well, I'm due for an upgrade on the 23rd (upgrading from a :blackberry: Storm), and I was originally totally sold on the Droid X, but the R2D2 special edition Droid 2 is VERY enticing to me as a Star Wars fan.

Now, if the Droid X is clearly a superior device, I can live without the novelty of the R2D2 Droid, but if the Droid 2 is a better device than the Droid X, that's just more reason to go for it.

I like the X because it has an 8MP camera, and I also think the larger screen size would be nice. I don't really care about the physical keyboard. I didn't get the original Droid because I hated the keyboard on it.

So, other than the physical keyboard, what does the Droid 2 have that the Droid X doesn't hardware-wise?

I've got 10 days now to decide to go for the X or to wait another month for the R2D2 Droid 2, so I'd kinda like to make my decision as soon as possible.

robble

Reaction score
If you don't mind a huge phone and don't need a keyboard, it's a no-brainer to get the X.

tliebeck

Reaction score
Due to the necessity of software testing, I have a Droid 2, a Droid 1, and a Droid X, amongst other Android devices.

I used the Droid 1 as my personal phone from its launch day to the Droid X launch day, used the X from its launch day to the Droid 2 launch day (today) and am now using the Droid 2 (for about 8 hours).

From what I've seen the Droid2 keyboard is a major step up from the original. I'm just learning to type on it, but it feels a lot faster, and I find I'm able to touch type (thumbs of course) after only a few hours. While I didn't think the Droid1 keyboard was excellent, I did think it was decent and with some practice was much faster on it than I've ever been on any touchscreen. On the Droid2, the keys are 10% wider and are domed like the first iteration Droid1 keyboard (most Droid1 keyboards are totally flat). The keys are also centered better under the display.

Droid X has a better camera with a brighter LED flash, HDMI port, absolutely giant screen, larger battery, larger pre-installed SD-card.

Droid 2 has a keyboard, which so far I'm extremely pleased with. If you're doing a lot of keyboard input, this of course gives you an effectively larger usable screen area than the Droid X.

As far as processor/RAM/internal storage and such, I believe they're identical.

I would guess that the battery life is better on the X if you're just making calls (not using screen) and better on the 2 if you're using the screen. I could be quite wrong though, and it won't make sense to try comparing them until both are on Android 2.2.

Edit... R2D2 isn't out for 1.5 months.

Last edited:

LostRedneck

Reaction score
As far as these 2 phones go the question really boils down to huge screen vs physical keyboard, For me the answer was keyboard I use my physical keyboard a lot since i like being able to read what I am replying to while I type. Also even though the X had that huge screen, the resolution is the same, so you get the same amount of stuff per screen.

Now personally I am too much of a closet geek and just can't see myself whipping out my pocket r2d2 each time i want to know what time it is, but I an envious of those that are brave enough to do so.

But as far as hardware is concerned the DX is a better phone as long as you don't are about that keyboard

velvet005

Reaction score
I love my Droid X. However, it is the only Droid I have experience with. I stopped by the Verizon store yesterday to pick up a car charger and overheard a Verizon associate speaking with a man who was interested in a Droid. He was looking at the D2 and the DX and asked the associate which phone he thought was better. The Verizon associate said he thought the DX was the better choice between the 2. I think each phone has features to fit a persons preferences.

opcenter

Reaction score
I just picked up a Droid 2 last night and handed off my Droid X (which I have had since release day) to my wife.

So far, I have generally found the Droid X to be a better experience overall because the larger screen just makes everything nicer. However, I have some other requirements that the X was not meeting. Specifically, I have a lot of situations where I want to be able to use ssh to connect to Linux systems either for some basic shell work or IRC or something like that... and that is where the Droid 2 shines. I had tried the Droid 1 and the keyboard was really disappointing to me. However, the 2's keyboard is completely awesome.

So, if you think you'll be doing a lot of typing, then the 2 may be a better choice for you, but if you think you'll mostly just be doing touch screen stuff, then the X is by far the better choice.

kevroc

Reaction score
The size of the X made the virtual keyboard nice. I really like the D2 physical keyboard though, much faster and more accurate for sure. I miss the X's larger sleep/wake button though, on the D2 is more recessed and harder to press. Also, I like the 4 soft buttons versus the X's hard buttons, those were starting to wear on me.

Garandhero

Reaction score
A friend and I (whom both own X's) Played with the Droid 2 in a verizon store today to see if we should of waited for it instead of grabbin the X...

we both left the store, turned to each other and almost at the same time said "the x is so much better...." hahaha anyway its a nice phone, but comparatively doesnt match up to the X imo - to small, to girly (no offense but this really seems like its made for girls who think the X is to big), no HDMI, weaker camera, everything is so smushed together on screen compared to the X.

Anyway no buyers remorse here, I am glad I went with the DX I feel its a superior device.

Reaction score
Well, I'm due for an upgrade on the 23rd (upgrading from a :blackberry: Storm), and I was originally totally sold on the Droid X, but the R2D2 special edition Droid 2 is VERY enticing to me as a Star Wars fan.

Now, if the Droid X is clearly a superior device, I can live without the novelty of the R2D2 Droid, but if the Droid 2 is a better device than the Droid X, that's just more reason to go for it.

I like the X because it has an 8MP camera, and I also think the larger screen size would be nice. I don't really care about the physical keyboard. I didn't get the original Droid because I hated the keyboard on it.

So, other than the physical keyboard, what does the Droid 2 have that the Droid X doesn't hardware-wise?

I've got 10 days now to decide to go for the X or to wait another month for the R2D2 Droid 2, so I'd kinda like to make my decision as soon as possible.
You have essentially answered your own question. Basically, the only reason to get the Droid 2 over the Droid X is if you are hell-bent on having a physical keyboard. Other than that, the only other thing the Droid 2 does better is battery life and it is not by a lot at all. Also, the Droid 2 does have Android 2.2 and flash support, but that will be coming to the Droid X in September.

The Droid X has a superior camera, a superior display, and 8GB more memory pre-installed in the phone. To further bring home my case, here is the last paragraph of Engadget's review of the Droid 2:

If you're just looking for the baddest-ass Android phone on Verizon that money can buy, we'd recommend a Droid X or Droid Incredible any day over this, especially since all three are the same price -- unless you're hell-bent on going with a physical keyboard, of course. Both of those other handsets offer superior cameras, a better UI (in the case of the Incredible), and a better display (in the case of the X).

Case closed.

CheathamHill

Reaction score
- to small, to girly (no offense but this really seems like its made for girls who think the X is to big), .

While some of your other points are quite valid...I have to wholeheartedly DISAGREE with the afformentioned statement I have quoted...

Coming from years on various bberry devices, the D2 is physically and aesthetically very pleaseing (to me) and hardly "girly"

I DO admit that if I find I'm not using the keyboard much in the next few weeks I WILL exchange it for the X...however, coming from the blackberry I DO love the physical keys and being a kinetic person I need something tangible to touch as lame as that sounds

plus the keyboard looks "wicked awesome" in the dark

cuzlion

Reaction score
2 vs x

I got a Droid X a couple of weeks ago after years of WinMo devices. I am a road warrior who lives on my phone for email, texting, calls and web surfing and also use it as an entertainment device during endless hours in airports. I intentionally got the x knowing I could exchange it for a 2 for $35 if I found not having the keyboard was a deal breaker. I had used a HTC 6700, Mogul, Touch Pro and Touch Pro2 as my last four phones, all of them sliders much like the Droid 2.

While I found I could use Swype almost as fast as a physical keyboard I also found it made me think differently, it required a different type of mental concentration as to where the next letter would be so I could Swype properly while a physical keyboard was drilled into muscle memory and did not disrupt my brain which could focus just on composing whatever I was inputing. So when the 2 came out I made the trade and while I hated losing the big screen I find that in reality the keyboard is way more of a plus than the screen real estate or a better camera. The speed of the device is just about as much better than the x as you'd expect FroYo to be and the extra pixel density offsets the smaller screen nearly completely now. And it doesn't look so huge in a hip holster. Both are awesome phones but for me the 2 is a little better fit. A last point is for a guy with small hands like me the Droid x is a little too large while the 2 feels way better to hold. But both are superb devices. Cuz

droidism

Reaction score
unless concerned about the size, just go with the droid-x, have both like the the DX much better...whole lot more phone

JWaters283

Reaction score
It's 100% based on whether you need a physical keyboard or not. I personally feel that a physical keyboard is better and I don't prefer my only input method to be software so I choose the D2. If it wasn't for that sole factor, I would have chosen the X in a heartbeat.