Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

Graymayre

Reaction score
Hi there,i am thinking of buying a D2G from the USA to use it here in India.In case the phone is not unlcoked,can i unlock it here in India?Do i need to have the Verizon Network in order to unlock it?incase Verizon ppl refuse to give the unlcok code,is there any other way to unlock?I have a good experience with rooting/flashing/flexing but don't know about D2G.thank you.

I have a brand new one, not refurbished. Clean ESN and the unlock code for it. Contact me if you are interested.
Ill throw in the otterbox and a couple extra batteries to go with it.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
(Offtopic)

The forums provide actual space for signatures, which also lets people easily discern those from the post content.

Timetripper

Reaction score
I think it (unlocking & foreign SIM) is a case of YMMV as I just bought my D2G a few weeks ago locked. I used a very reasonable (<$10) online unlocking service which got me the right # in few hrs and it worked first shot. I'm now running on FIDO UTMS with good results here in Canada.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

silver6054

Reaction score
I think it (unlocking & foreign SIM) is a case of YMMV as I just bought my D2G a few weeks ago locked. I used a very reasonable (<$10) online unlocking service which got me the right # in few hrs and it worked first shot. I'm now running on FIDO UTMS with good results here in Canada.

Yes, unlocking services do work for some of the phones, it's just a risk if they don't, and there doesn't seem to be a way to tell! Was this a used phone? There were some claims that the first batch of phones didn't have the lock code changed so unlocking services work with them. But no real confirmation of that.

If you don't have a fall-back (such as someone in the US who can/will get VZ to unlock the phone for you) then the YMMV when buying the phone from a third-party really comes down to: "If I can't get this phone unlocked, how much of a [expletive of your choice] would that be", and, paraphrasing Eastwood: "Do you feel lucky today!" If the price is low enough, might be worth a chance....

Timetripper

Reaction score
Yes, unlocking services do work for some of the phones, it's just a risk if they don't, and there doesn't seem to be a way to tell! Was this a used phone? There were some claims that the first batch of phones didn't have the lock code changed so unlocking services work with them. But no real confirmation of that.

If you don't have a fall-back (such as someone in the US who can/will get VZ to unlock the phone for you) then the YMMV when buying the phone from a third-party really comes down to: "If I can't get this phone unlocked, how much of a [expletive of your choice] would that be", and, paraphrasing Eastwood: "Do you feel lucky today!" If the price is low enough, might be worth a chance....

Yes it was a used phone. I got my phone in the last month & it was supposed to be less than 3 months old (summer purchased new).

mrtaiko

Reaction score
I was told by Verizon that the D2G would not be able to access GSM in the USA even with the SIM unlocked. I was told that if I wanted to use a foreign SIM when outside of the USA that I should enter the unlock code after inserting the foreign SIM and outside the USA. In order to use the Verizon SIM you have to subscribe to their international roaming plan. This information came from their international department and the rep was reading from their D2G manual.

I hope this helps.

silver6054

Reaction score
That's mainly true! The part that is not is that you have to unlock outside the US. You can (and SHOULD if possible) unlock while in the US if you have a suitable SIM. While you will not get GSM to work, you will be able to verify if the unlock code works.

But I believe all the recent posts are about getting it unlocked when you cannot use verizon to do it

Graymayre

Reaction score
Almost. I have heard of people who have unlocked it outside the US. But it is easier to do it inside. You do not need a foreign sim inside the US, you can unlock it right there with the Verizon sim.
I made sure to get a code for my D2G before I upgraded to the Bionic so that I can sell it to someone outside the US who could use it and appreciate that this is already done. So far, no luck. Everyone already has the phone and just needs to unlock it.
Btw, Verizon customers can obtain an unlock code for global phones once every 10 months. Dunno why.

The answer is 42.

silver6054

Reaction score
Almost. I have heard of people who have unlocked it outside the US. But it is easier to do it inside. You do not need a foreign sim inside the US, you can unlock it right there with the Verizon sim.
I made sure to get a code for my D2G before I upgraded to the Bionic so that I can sell it to someone outside the US who could use it and appreciate that this is already done. So far, no luck. Everyone already has the phone and just needs to unlock it.
Btw, Verizon customers can obtain an unlock code for global phones once every 10 months. Dunno why.

The answer is 42.
Of course you can unlock outside the US (if you have a correct code) just an extra risk if it doesn't work and it is then harder to contact VZ!

However, what do you mean by: You do not need a foreign sim inside the US, you can unlock it right there with the Verizon sim.
How do you do that? The Verizon (Vodafone) SIM doesn't produce the prompt for an unlock code, is there another way to enter it?

Graymayre

Reaction score
Yeah, its in the settings somewhere. I would try to find it and tell you where, but its packed up for our impending move tomorrow.

The answer is 42.

silver6054

Reaction score
Yeah, its in the settings somewhere. I would try to find it and tell you where, but its packed up for our impending move tomorrow.

The answer is 42.

OK, when you can! I know there is a SIM lock/unlock in the menus, but that is for something very different.

silver6054

Reaction score
No, it's not in the settings.

Dial #073887* with the stock dialer.
That is good to know, that should make it easier for people to test the unlock codes they receive when they don't have any other SIM...

Is this a Moto specific code or more general? (Just tried it in my Samsung Renown and it didn't do anything, but that could be for several reasons!)