Droid 2 Global Unlock & foreign SIM?

leobg

Reaction score
Yes, use the 1-800 number.

Sent from my XT860 using Tapatalk

cabrerachaparro

Reaction score
The former owner got the unlock code from Verizon. Then I turn on the phone and when I get this message "SIM network unlock PIN" I introduce the 8 digits unlock code but I get the same message "network request unlock unsuccessful"

Why? Is it the phone hard locked?

leobg

Reaction score
Code is not the right one. Verizon ca provide up to 3 different codes. Usually the 3rd one works :)
Do not worry about hard locking AFAIK D2g won't hardlock.

cabrerachaparro

Reaction score
So should he call again Verizon Support? What shoud he say to get the code?
He told me that the Verizon's guy didn't ask him for the IMEI number.

leobg

Reaction score
he must have the phone active on his account, as long as it is active (MEID activated) Verizon knows the IMEI. Just have him tell them code wasn't accepted and if there is another code he could try (there is). Confirm again with him MEID and IMEI code jut in case.

krutip15

Reaction score
Worked for me!

this is my first post - I joined to share my experience with the Droid 2 Global unlocking as these posts have helped me greatly.

I, what some people may say, stupidly bought a droid 2 global off ebay thinking it would be easy to unlock. After reading all the forums I got nervous that I would not be able to unlock it and use it here in germany. The phone I liked to add had a bad ESN as well which is why my purchase price was so cheap!

I bought an unlock code from the unlock shack for 9 bucks - considering others were charging 30 i thought it was a good price and I read from other forums, that people had success with using these codes. I input a Rogers SIM (phone was in canada at the time) and was asked for the unlocking code. The first of two codes that were sent to me by the unlock shack worked without a problem. Then my next challenge was to get past the activation screen (the call to verizon that would activate the phone on their network!). With help from the forums, I was able to side step this by chosing the connect using GSM/UMTS only! after than I was able to use the phones for calls.

As for data, I made sure that all the data options were enabled (background data, data roaming, data enabled) and set my settings to the correct APN of my network provider. I was then able to use the internet!

I don't know if I'm one of those lucky ones, but I bought the phone in the end of August, and noticed that the new verizon databases were updated i think on August 9th. So if you guys want to give another try at purchasing a code, I would try it now. Right now, I just consider myself lucky that my phone with a BAD ESN was able to unlock and fully function in Europe.

P.S. I've used about 3 different sim cards from different MVNO (not even MNOs!) and they all worked great!

There is still hope!!! Good Luck!

cabrerachaparro

Reaction score
he must have the phone active on his account, as long as it is active (MEID activated) Verizon knows the IMEI. Just have him tell them code wasn't accepted and if there is another code he could try (there is). Confirm again with him MEID and IMEI code jut in case.

The former owner called again Verizon and this what he said:

"I called them again and they asked if you are trying to use the phone with a foreign sim card? are you using this in america or not? This person basically told me your screwed. I'm going to make one more phone call for you with the new info then your on your own. You will probably just have to sell it on ebay to someone in america on a vzw network. This phone has already cost me more than $100 worth of my time I wish I had tossed it in the trash."

Is that true?

leobg

Reaction score
Not quite. It would have been much easier if he unlocked the phone while it was still with him before selling it. He should be willing to cooperate first place. And you should have been more careful when buying it, but things cannot change now, so you just deal with the situation whatever it is now.

It doesn't matter where he uses the phone or what SIM is inside. Verizon should be able to provide the right unlock code. He needs to tell them he wants to use the phone with foreign SIM outside USA and needs an unlock code. Given the fact he has good account and with VZW, they will give them the codes.
He can always make up a story relative of him is in Europe and wants to have phone unlocked and he is calling because phone is activated on his account, but phone isn't with him at the moment, this still should be fine. There is no logical reason for them to refuse to provide the codes. I am saying codes as it could be up to 3 codes they have filed per handset. He must try to get all them for you to try.
If things do not work out, based on how he had listing put together, you may be eligible to reverse the transaction and get your money back. Since it is your problem now, do not leave an option unresearched.

cabrerachaparro

Reaction score
Not quite. It would have been much easier if he unlocked the phone while it was still with him before selling it. He should be willing to cooperate first place. And you should have been more careful when buying it, but things cannot change now, so you just deal with the situation whatever it is now.

It doesn't matter where he uses the phone or what SIM is inside. Verizon should be able to provide the right unlock code. He needs to tell them he wants to use the phone with foreign SIM outside USA and needs an unlock code. Given the fact he has good account and with VZW, they will give them the codes.
He can always make up a story relative of him is in Europe and wants to have phone unlocked and he is calling because phone is activated on his account, but phone isn't with him at the moment, this still should be fine. There is no logical reason for them to refuse to provide the codes. I am saying codes as it could be up to 3 codes they have filed per handset. He must try to get all them for you to try.
If things do not work out, based on how he had listing put together, you may be eligible to reverse the transaction and get your money back. Since it is your problem now, do not leave an option unresearched.

This is the last mail form him:

"Ok last email. Just got off the phone the only code they gave me is the same one I already gave you. 25468053. They will give me only one code. Don't email me and tell me that they "must" give three codes cause I can't force them to do anything. You can spend your day telling them they must do it-1-800-711-8300. If I had known you were not in america I wouldn't have sold it to you as the phone wouldn't work for me in Germany either and I didn't want to run into a pain in the ass situation like this one. Sorry, but I sold you a good phone and you should have done more research as to what you could expect to run into trying to get it activated in Peru. Like I said I've already spent more time on this phone, putting it on ebay, packing it up, taking it to the UPS store and trying to help you get it activated than it was even worth. I'm not losing another dollar of my time with this matter. Goodbye."

The think is that he knew I was outside USA before shipping the phone but he said that I had to say that before I bought it.
So I think I have to sell the phone on ebay.

Does anybody wants a Motorola Droid 2 Global? Only works with Verizon network. :frown:

evasiege

Reaction score
Having read most of this thread I was skepitcal about using an unlocking service so I put it off for a while. In the end, I decided to give it a shot and it actually worked. Purchased the codes for my Droid 2 Global from Unlock cell phone, Instant unlock codes for your cellphone for around $9 and got em within an hour too. I'm currently in China, and once I unlocked the phone I could use it immediately with my Chinese SIM to make calls. If you're overseas and still trying to get your D2G to work, I'd say give it a shot.

inquisitor

Reaction score
unlock code for prepaid Droid 2 Global

Hello world,

I own a Droid 2 Global which was bought with a prepaid plan and which I would now like to unlock for usage in Europe.

Verizon say they don't provide unlock codes to phones bought on prepaid plans and the unlock codes I bought from two unlock code sellers did not work either (eventually received a refund).

Can't these prepaid D2Gs be unlocked somehow?

Graymayre

Reaction score
Hello world,

I own a Droid 2 Global which was bought with a prepaid plan and which I would now like to unlock for usage in Europe.

Verizon say they don't provide unlock codes to phones bought on prepaid plans and the unlock codes I bought from two unlock code sellers did not work either (eventually received a refund).

That I don't know. From what I was told by Verizon, the unlock codes are specifically matched to the ESN of the device. It is possible that you can't get a code from anyone but Verizon in this case. I've got a brand new D2G in the box that I immediately got the unlock code from Verizon for. If you could sell the one you have, I can sell you mine. I was saving it for another line or international travel, but I probably wont need it since I have my Bionic.
I've got 3 extra batteries and an extra SD card for it, plus a used otterbox commuter case, none of which I need now.
An extra new battery door, also.
Just let me know if you are interested.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

leobg

Reaction score
Hello world,

Are you in the US? If so - get a friend with Verizon to activate your D2G on their postpaid account. Then they can call Verizon Global Support and get you the code. Once you unlock the phone, they can deactivate the phone and activate their own back. From that point on you will be good.

I am afraid there is no other way around.

kartik

Reaction score
Help needed!

Hi there,i am thinking of buying a D2G from the USA to use it here in India.In case the phone is not unlcoked,can i unlock it here in India?Do i need to have the Verizon Network in order to unlock it?incase Verizon ppl refuse to give the unlcok code,is there any other way to unlock?I have a good experience with rooting/flashing/flexing but don't know about D2G.thank you.

silver6054

Reaction score
Hi there,i am thinking of buying a D2G from the USA to use it here in India.In case the phone is not unlcoked,can i unlock it here in India?Do i need to have the Verizon Network in order to unlock it?incase Verizon ppl refuse to give the unlcok code,is there any other way to unlock?I have a good experience with rooting/flashing/flexing but don't know about D2G.thank you.

Read the message before yours! There is (as far as we know) no other way. Verizon must unlock it, they have changed the codes so those in 3rd party databases often do not work. The phone can only be unlocked if the caller is a Verizon customer (and meets other conditions), hence the suggestion that you get a Verizon customer to activate the phone on their line, get it unlocked, and then they reactivate their normal phone.