Droid 2 Global Heat Problems?

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
So since this is my first smartphone ever.....is it like "normal" for these phones to get kinda warm.
Browsing the web for 10 or so minutes the left side (or top depending on how u hold it) next to the camera can get pretty warm.

Never like "burning" warm, but still.....it gets pretty toasty.

My phone seems to stay around 35 degrees Celcius (using Temp Monitor Lite)
What is the Normal Operating Temp for this phone? Whats the Max?

I've read a few things of people reaching crazy 118 degrees farenheit and complaining about the issue and stuff......is this normal or am I just being paranoid? or was this maybe a previous firmware/software issue?

Thanks, and sorry again for all the questions.

Last edited:

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Its about normal. Thats the cpu getting warm from use. If i remember right the cpu is rated for up to about 170 degrees fahrenheit but the battery reaches thermal runaway at 140. Thermal runaway is when the battery starts to basically self heat. Also, the battery starts to drain faster above 120 degrees.

The hottest ive ever gotten mine was 113 and then i did a battery pull and let it cool for about 5 minutes.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

OP
M

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
How did you get to 113? Just a bad day lol?
I guess im just worried, I wouldn't want it to overheat and damage the phone....although that would probably be covered under warrenty.
But I was looking at the Droid X......since it has a non-oc'd processor it might overheat less?

edit: OK how exactly do you check CPU temp? I can only check Battery Temp on my phone.......I mean it never gets absurdly hot....just warm...
hmmmm, i tried installing one app but it said "No sensors found"

I was doing some reading and I dont even think this phone HAS a cpu temp sensor.....or at least for my kernal (default) how is anyone else checking CPU temp

Last edited:

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Nah I just had it laying on my bed while stress testing lol

There isn't a cpu temp sensor that im aware of, the battery one is pretty close though I think.

Sent from my D2G with GummyJAR

TJConnery

Reaction score
CPU Heat Sensor

There is a heat sensor in both SetCPU and Droid Overclock, which require root access. I thought these were CPU sensors and not battery temp, but I may be mistaken. These apps allow you to slow things down if the chip gets hotter than a preset threshold.

That being said, I haven't read a post yet from a D2G that had a meltdown, have you?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't read specifics on how much heat the D2G processor can take, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to the original Droid and I've read that can go to a whopping 180 degrees. Now I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, I'm just saying what I've read.

I usually look at the battery on my D2 and it rarely goes over 90. I am overclocked and I do have Profiles set for heat protection. My maximum heat is 49 Degrees Centigrade, I think that's about 120 degrees fahrenheit.

OP
M

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
I haven't read specifics on how much heat the D2G processor can take, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to the original Droid and I've read that can go to a whopping 180 degrees. Now I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, I'm just saying what I've read.

I usually look at the battery on my D2 and it rarely goes over 90. I am overclocked and I do have Profiles set for heat protection. My maximum heat is 49 Degrees Centigrade, I think that's about 120 degrees fahrenheit.
I guess if you dont OC them you prolly don't need to worry about heat profiles?
Im prolly just being paranoid since a few people were talking about it getting warm.....

Last edited:
Reaction score

I guess if you dont OC them you prolly don't need to worry about heat profiles?
Im prolly just being paranoid since a few people were talking about it getting warm.....

No, even if you don't overclock, it CAN get that hot. If you use a program like setCPU, you should ALWAYS have a temperature profile setup. Mine is set so that when the battery hits 42C, the phone scales back to 600MHz.

OP
M

MercenaryFH

Reaction score
I don't think setcpu measures cpu temp tho does it. I was mainly concerned with the cpu overheating. Or should I not worry about the cpu, I assume they have pretty high thresholds? I haven't heard of anyones droid 2 global overheating and damaging it have u? I guess it'd be under warranty even if it did.

tothenet

Reaction score
CPU is supposed to run ok even at boiling temp though it's not very practical. Not only battery drains faster at higher temp, CPU also consumes more at higher temp. So battery temp is mostly concern in real world usage.