Droid 3 Heat Issues?

TDevilsG

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm on my second day now owning the Droid 3. I really like it so far, but I've noticed that the phone warms up quite a bit when I'm doing routine tasks (such as navigating between an open App and the browser, for example). When I first got the phone, it got extremely hot when doing normal tasks as well; I attributed that to the fact that it was probably still setting up. It gets warm on the bottom of the phone when holding it normally, to be clear.

I just want to make sure that I don't have a defective device. I remember the OG warming up quite a couple of times, but that was because I was overclocking it slightly. Coming from the Thunderbolt, that phone never really heated up at all, so I guess I'm not used to this being an issue. Does everyone else's phones heat up during certain tasks? If so, which ones? And is this considered normal?

Last edited:

PaulJ69

Reaction score
Yup, from what I've read, it is normal. Mine got up to 47C or 116F.
-Edit- It is up to 49C now...

everstar80

Reaction score
Yup, from what I've read, it is normal. Mine got up to 47C or 116F.
-Edit- It is up to 49C now...

Wow really? Because mine has been room temperature to me with heavy usage for the past three and a half hours playing music then several rounds of NovaHD, no joke. Overheating battery was one of my biggest complaints with the droid2global and that was a nightmare, had four replacements, same results, it got to 121degrees F. The Droid3 hasn't heated anywhere near that for the past week I've had it.

PaulJ69

Reaction score
Well I went to verizon today a couple days after I posted originally. They told told me it was because I was charging while using it, I thought Oh alright. Last night was was playing Words with the Helper app and it got to 51C. That is 123.8F. I do have the extended battery in, but it was happening before I got the new battery. Anyway I just went back to the V store and they said its hot but since it's still responsive I can't get a replacement. The sales rep did give me a pamphlet saying "Get a certified like-new replacement from the comfort of you home. Call 1.866.406.5154." I don't want a used phone, I want a new phone. Any suggestions? Or am I just to burn my hand untill my contracts up...

Darksthour

Reaction score
I would say that's really hot lol. I have had my droid 3 for a few weeks now and I noticed it warms up a bit while charging but not that warm. My best guess is to send it back the sooner the better. The phone is new so they probably don't have a lot of refurbished phones yet to give out so you might get a new one. I also I got a refurbished droid 1 and it was better and lasted longer than my new out of box one. Plus as a side note if your having heat problems already and you go to overclock when root is available you could run into problems there.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Mine hasn't gotten that hot, but it does heat up like crazy.

Reaction score
The hottest mine gets is about 109. Buts its not the battery that gets hot its the bottom. That's where the duel cores are. So I kinda think that's normal. For me its hottest when on 3g and a bit cooloer when on wifi. But im keeping an eye on it.

LordShadowz

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

You need to take your phone in. Take screenshots when it gets that hot to bring with you to the Verizon Center. 123 degrees is way too hot. The heat limit on our chip is 140 degrees but it dhould never come close to that without the phone shutting down. at 123 degrees Your phone should have shut down on its own. That is very worrisome.

-Billy

Well I went to verizon today a couple days after I posted originally. They told told me it was because I was charging while using it, I thought Oh alright. Last night was was playing Words with the Helper app and it got to 51C. That is 123.8F. I do have the extended battery in, but it was happening before I got the new battery. Anyway I just went back to the V store and they said its hot but since it's still responsive I can't get a replacement. The sales rep did give me a pamphlet saying "Get a certified like-new replacement from the comfort of you home. Call 1.866.406.5154." I don't want a used phone, I want a new phone. Any suggestions? Or am I just to burn my hand untill my contracts up...

PaulJ69

Reaction score
I did get it to 50C while there. They said it was hot but since it is still responsive they can't replace it.
I'll call and get a refurbished one then...

LordShadowz

Reaction score
I did get it to 50C while there. They said it was hot but since it is still responsive they can't replace it.
I'll call and get a refurbished one then...

They are full of crap. 123 degrees is way too hot. Thats actually gotta be uncomfortable to touch. I would have made them pull another D3 out and have them show me how that device also goes to 123 degrees. Don't let them pull one over on ya.

dsterlin97

Reaction score
I've been having the same issue. Gets very warm on the back/bottom... where you hold it. Also drains the battery pretty drastically when this occurs. I'll get a temp reading next time it happens. I've been monitoring for rouge apps running and using CPU, but nada. In fact, I'm a pretty boring (business) user... no games, no real fun stuff. Just email and texting mostly. No reason for this. Contacting Verizon too.

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. It seemed to get better as the weeks went buy still worm and even hot but never as hot as it was.. also try a factory reset that might help. But mine is a lot better. It gets the warmest when im on 3g which makes sense.