Phone heating up

joshhh

Reaction score
So, just wanted to see if this would happen to anyone else, when I use my phone a bit, the back of my phone heats up, under the battery, but above the speaker, it gets really hot and the touch screen starts to get wonky. Like, scrolling just slips and slides up and down all over the place. This happen to anyone else? Any fixes?

Sent from my DROID3

NoBloatware

Reaction score
What do you have installed? Apps/widgets/live wallpapers can all go rogue on you.

Did you add apps to the built in task killer? Remove all apps from the auto end list. Do not use automatic task killers. Do not use antivirus.

What do the battery stats say is using your battery? What apps/widgets/live wallpapers that you've installed run on boot?

Otherwise, just being in a low signal area can cause things to heat up too.

kaveman

Reaction score
This happens to me often enough that I don't want this phone anymore. Unfortunately, I waited too long to go back to the store and now I'm stuck with this phone. It heats up when I'm using the phone a bit and when charging. When this happens, I can barely use the touch screen. Unfortunately, the support from in the store was about useless. They couldn't replicate the problem the 2 minutes the had my phone in their hands, so they said all they could do was hard reset my phone. I told them it doesn't happen all the time, but apparently it was supposed to happen the 2 minutes she was susing my phone or it didn't really happen. Now I'm pondering whether I should charge my phone or set it on my vents and then take it back.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Three thoughts:

(1) As y'all probably know, there was a bit of wonkiness recently with daylight savings (battery issues). Both D3's in my house needed to be rebooted. I doubt that's the source of the problems on this thread, but we gotta eliminate the possibilities.

(2) Widget Locker wasn't playing nicely with the D3, but that recently was dealt with in a bugfix. I definitely noticed heat and battery issues before the fix.

(3) Charging -- for several days (because I couldn't fit the stock charger in the socket on my counter) I used a different USB charger. It was rated for the same amps, and worked fine. But last week weird things started to happen: the screen would cycle on/off, and even after being plugged in for hours, it would slowly discharge. Also had the "crazy screen" issues while charging (touches go haywire). Anyway, I'm back to the stock charger and all those problems are gone.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I also forgot to mention: SystemPanel Task Manager is a super tool for tracking down "rogue" apps. In particular, it has a 1-week history function that tracks app CPU use, so it's easy to identify apps that are misbehaving.

Unfortunately the history function is only available in the paid version ($2.99):

https://market.android.com/details?id=nextapp.systempanel

-Matt

doogald

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention: SystemPanel Task Manager is a super tool for tracking down "rogue" apps. In particular, it has a 1-week history function that tracks app CPU use, so it's easy to identify apps that are misbehaving.

Unfortunately the history function is only available in the paid version ($2.99):

I think it's funny that such a useful function being so inexpensive as being unfortunate, but I guess I'm old and remember when mobile apps were all more like $10, $20 or $30 and few were free (which was less than a decade ago, BTW.)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ah, I hemmed and hawed about using the word "unfortunate". But since it isn't worth spending 10 minutes on a forum message, I just grabbed it.

With Android, I started out using free apps exclusively. (Yes, I'm old AND cheap!) But over the last 2 years I've discovered a number of apps I not only enjoy and use frequently (e.g., Root Explorer) but also very much want to express my appreciation to the developer. So...I'm still cheap -- $5.00 seems a bit rich for my blood -- but anything in the "few dollar" range to me is a negligible cost. I tend to not go higher, mainly because of the STUPID (!!!!!) 15-minute refund rule, and that I've regretted buying a few $1 duds. If that happened in the higher-cost range I'd rant about it for days... ;)

-Matt

rleonard

Reaction score
I have had my Razr phone get quite hot all on its own. I noticed it when suddenly my pocket was quite uncomfortable. It has done this a couple of times. Now battery life seems to be reduced.