Droid 2 Bootlooping - Can't get into recovery

Reaction score
Tried the battery pull method but it didn't work. Can't get into the recovery to do a restore and the phone keeps bootlooping on the boot screen.

How can I restore?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rebooting to recovery can be a pain on the D2 from what I've seen. Bump for Spaz33g

DroidForums junkie!!

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok try plugging the phone in to a wall outlet and when/if the charging screen comes on, pull the battery and unplug it from the wall. Then replace the battery an try to boot up. It will hopefully boot I'm to cm recovery.

tappin and a talkin

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok try plugging the phone in to a wall outlet and when/if the charging screen comes on, pull the battery and unplug it from the wall. Then replace the battery an try to boot up. It will hopefully boot I'm to cm recovery.

tappin and a talkin

Trying now will edit with results.

Didn't boot into recovery still.. I have no clue what to do here..

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya if you can't get in to recovery you will have to sbf. That last method was my go to, the only other way I use is the battery pull method.

tappin and a talkin

OP
K
Reaction score
How would I go about doing an SBF recovery? RSD Lite isn't recognizing the phone and the only way I remember it recognizing it is to actually have the phone fully booted.

(P.S. This is my friend's Droid 2 I own the original Droid so I only know so much about this phone.)

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You have to boot in to the bootloader for it to recognize it iirc. To do so, turn the phone off and then slide open the keyboard. Hold the dpad up button and the power button at the same time. Check the d2 hacking/ron install class link in my signature for a full explination of the process.

tappin and a talkin

OP
K
Reaction score
Okay well my friend's droid has been acting up and FCing and such since he got it. So I decided to root it a few months back to fix the problem. It fixed it for a while but as he uses it I don't know what he does but it keeps FCing and having issues after a few weeks of usage.

This time, instead of wiping everything clean and doing a factory restore again, I decided to backup the files. I was using Vanilla Fusion before and I went to switch to Apex's ROM. I did a backup of the Fission ROM, and then installed Apex's fresh and tried to just restore the data from the Fission ROM. That didn't work so I did a full restore of the Fission ROM, then went to install Apex 1.2 over Fission. This is what caused the bootloop and now I can't get into Clockwork.

On the SBF Recovery I loaded into the bootloader using your instructions (Bootloader D2.37) and loaded the SBF into RSD Lite 4.9 and it went up to about 5% complete then the phone said "Critical Error" in the same style as the bootloader and then a few seconds later it failed on RSD Lite and the phone restarted and went back into a bootloop. And now I am downloading the Droid 2 Files using Droid.Co Downloader.

EDIT: My dumb ass downloaded a Droid 1 2.0.1 SBF file without even thinking. Hence the critical error... So now I am searching for a 2.2 SBF file for the Droid 2 with not much luck so far.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would suggest picking up a different copy of the sbf and trying again.

tappin and a talkin

OP
K
Reaction score
I found a different SBF file, restored to it, and now the phone isn't turning on...

EDIT: Turned on for maybe 1/4 of a second and the bootloader loaded and said "Code corrupt" then shut back off....

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Which system version was he on and which sbf did you download? If he was on 2.3.2 and you flash a 2.2.2 sbf that would be no fun. Are you still able to get into the bootloader?

tappin and a talkin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Fingers crossed! This doesn't sound good! :/

DroidForums junkie!!