Download Booster Removed From The Galaxy S5 By Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Normally we are trying to remove bloatware and OEM specific apps from our devices. In this particular case we will be doing whatever we can to get a bloatware app back! One of the coolest features of Touchwiz on the Galaxy S5 has to be the Download Booster feature! This feature allows useres to use both 4G and wifi at the same when downloading files to decrease download times significantly! A few of the major carriers have decided to remove this feature from their carrier variants of the device. Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint have all confirmed that this feature won't be present on their versions of the device. It has been speculated that these carriers are just protecting the user from racking up extra data fees, however Sprint has some unlimited plans so it is unclear why they would disable this feature entirely.

We have seen other OEM features blocked. Most recently the Extreme Power Saving Mode on the HTC One M8 was blocked by Verizon. Clever users found where the app was located deep within Sense 6.0 and discovered how to reenable it. I have a feeling that developers will be able to get us this feature back if we want it. Keep it locked down here. As soon as mods come out for the S5, even mods that help you get bloat back, I will keep you updated.

Image Source

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I guess these carriers want you to use more data.....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can understand why carriers are blocking download booster, but what does Verizon have to benefit from blocking power saving mode on the M8? They seriously have to go and limit some of the best features on these new phones, their greed is absurd.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Doesn't make sense if you are using Data they win. Unless you have unlimited.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Perhaps these features conflict with VZW's Apps

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Download booster is genius. Using both WiFi and LTE to download data to your phone. I wonder if it's a special app that you must use, or if it's integrated in the Touchwiz for all downloads, whether it's from Google Play, a browser, podcast manager, etc.

Last edited:

swc2001

Reaction score
Do we have access to the .apk
I WANT IT!!!! LOL