Sprint & T-Mobile Might Get the Lower-End 'Standard' Edition Samsung Galaxy S5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sgs5-concept-floating-super-thin.jpg

The above image is a random Galaxy S5 concept pic found with a Google image search.

Recently we shared a rumor suggesting that Samsung will be releasing a "Standard Edition" and a "Prime Edition" of the Galaxy S5 flagship. A new rumor popped up today which may have confirmed this previous rumor, or simply could be a continuation of the lie.

Supposedly, Sprint and T-Mobile will be selling the "Standard" version of the Galaxy S5, instead of getting the higher end "Prime" version. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Sprint’s Galaxy S5 – believed to be the SM-G900P – was spotted on the carrier’s website, with the phone tipped to have a 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) screen. T-Mobile’s SM-G900T Galaxy S5 has been spotted on Samsung’s website, also sporting a Full HD screen.

The SM-G900 is said to be the family of the Galaxy S5, although that’s yet to be confirmed. The SM-G900 line has various different devices whose model numbers are differentiated by a letter – SM-G900x, where “x” is replaced by “P” for the rumored Sprint version for example – that will be launched in different markets. The same “P” and “T” models seen in these user agent profiles have been previously included in an extended list showing the different purported Galaxy S5 model versions.

Of course, February 24th is the big day for Sammy's press event, so all the details will be revealed in just a couple of weeks.

Source: BGR

jspradling7

Reaction score
Are they insinuating that Verizon will get the Prime? Or AT&T?

12 days to go... at 10 days to go I start to get fidgety... at 5 days to go my head randomly and unexpectedly flinches to the left every few minutes... and at 3 days to go my right eyelid starts to twitch. ; ) TMI???

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Imma put out a rumor that AT&T and maybe Verizon paid Samsung to give the Sprint and TMobile the 'standard' versions because of the unlocked bootloaders they will most likely have in them. Get the good one and get a locked bootloader.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Im going to have to say false to this. If att gets the "prime" version. Then tmobile will as well. they run the same bands.
I could see either see verizon being the only one to get it. OR verizon is the only one to NOT get it.

But....if you look at the note 3...you see how that was split up.
I wouldnt mind only having a 1080p screen personally. It looks great on my note 3.
I really really dont think there will be different S5's in the US.
S5 active....sure...beside thats...I doubt it.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^ I agree with the above.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I could see VZW paying more to have exlusivity for the "Prime"....I can also see that being a flop of a move since the standard is plenty powerful enough for 99% of users.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I could see VZW paying more to have exlusivity for the "Prime"....I can also see that being a flop of a move since the standard is plenty powerful enough for 99% of users.
Well I would want the 3gb ram.
Also...another thing that doesnt make sense is that the standard has a exynos and the prime a snap800. That would be samsung pretty much saying there own exynos is lower end vs the snap800.
I think this is just a bunk rumor.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I would want the 3gb ram.

Good point, but I don't think most people need 3gigs (I do, because I'm a poweruser with a ton of widgets and apps I like to auto-sync). I mean, 2gigs would probably be sufficient for me but I prefer more "future-proof" given how quickly app ram usage (especially the Google play services) are increasing.