AT&T and Verizon Galaxy S6 Root Bounty Passes $1000

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The S6 has been here now for a few weeks. If you are a fan of root then you have already figured out that Samsung devices are not ideal for those who love root and are on the AT&T or Verizon carrier network. Both AT&T and Verizon have decided to lock down their devices and force OEMs to make their devices unrootable. Samsung is the only OEM that seems to strictly follow the no root policy. Other OEMs especially HTC and LG leave some holes which make rooting and bootloader unlocking possible.

Most developers have moved over to T-mobile or Sprint since phones come bootloader unlocked for the most part on these carriers making development pretty easy. We have learned on Verizon and AT&T that we have to take some pretty drastic measures to get root on our devices. It has been common place to pledge a donation to attract root development. The S5 was rooted thanks to a huge bounty which attracted "geohot". He worked on the exploit for about a week and had the S5 rooted. The Note 4 has been out for more than 6 months and has still not been rooted. Many bounty pledgers have actually pulled their pledge stating that they have moved on.

Their is already a Bounty which is quickly growing for the Galaxy S6. It has already surpassed $1200! This is the total for both the AT&T and Verizon variants. If you want to see your S6 rooted this is probably your best hope. Head to the link below to make your pledge.

via XDA

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Interesting.

In order to root the nexus 6 on lollipop the bootloader has to be unlocked. How are they going to be able to root the galaxy on lollipop with a locked bootloader. Feel like this could be an uphill battle. But is not impossible as the droid x and droid 2 bootloaders were never unlocked but devs found a work around.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's definitely an uphill battle, but I recall reading awhile back that Google was making it harder to root, intentionally. Totally against the freedom they once claimed, but it is what it is, every company sells out eventually right?

Still got love for Google though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's definitely an uphill battle, but I recall reading awhile back that Google was making it harder to root, intentionally. Totally against the freedom they once claimed, but it is what it is, every company sells out eventually right?

Still got love for Google though.
They are having to secure the operating system. They are after that enterprise money and both blackberry and apple proved that enterprise money is more lucrative than jailbreaking/rooting money.
Google still allow us the freedom to unlock the bootloader. As far as I am concerned I don't mind them making the software hard to root as long as they allow us a backdoor (ie unlocking the bootloader).

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Has the Galaxy S5 on Verizon been unlocked and rooted yet?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's (S5) been rooted for awhile now, but the bootloader remains locked. Safestrap is used to flash TW based roms. Or if you're like me, I'm perfectly content with rooted stock, so I can utilize Titanium backup & AdAway/AdFree. :)

S5 tap'n