Don't Understand the Intense Dislike for the Bionic Lapdock

ncridgerunner

Reaction score
My lapdock works very well to meet my needs. When we travel to Myrtle Beach the lapdock allows us to surf the web and keep up with email. The speeds are not blazing but it saves $50+ a month for internet access that would not be frequently used. I do not use it at home because it is more convenient to use my laptop with the programs I use frequently and the speeds are better. I find the lapdock is more convenient to use than my wife's android tablet. Also when I am waiting on my family while they are shopping or have a few minutes to spare while in the car, it is really convenient to use the lapdock.

I also use the hdmi cable to watch Netflix on the tv. The 3G service at the beach makes the video a little grainy especially during fast action scenes but it is not too bad. I look forward to getting 4g lte in the Asheville area to see what a difference this service will make.

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
My lapdock works very well to meet my needs. When we travel to Myrtle Beach the lapdock allows us to surf the web and keep up with email. The speeds are not blazing but it saves $50+ a month for internet access that would not be frequently used. I do not use it at home because it is more convenient to use my laptop with the programs I use frequently and the speeds are better. I find the lapdock is more convenient to use than my wife's android tablet. Also when I am waiting on my family while they are shopping or have a few minutes to spare while in the car, it is really convenient to use the lapdock.

I also use the hdmi cable to watch Netflix on the tv. The 3G service at the beach makes the video a little grainy especially during fast action scenes but it is not too bad. I look forward to getting 4g lte in the Asheville area to see what a difference this service will make.

Haters gonna hate I guess..

I dont have the Lapdock, but I have the HD Dock and HDMI cable which they gave to me for 55 bucks on launch day. I think it's awesome. I dont have a PC in my bedroom, so I have the dock connected to my 32" in the bedroom, and now I have a PC in the bedroom in case I need to check email, browse the web, listen to music, etc. The only issue I have with the webtop is it runs out of memory if you have too much stuff open. I just make sure not to open more than 2 or 3 tabs on the browser. The webtop actually has some good. I was able to play full screen youtube videos at pretty good resolution with no skippage at all.

Reaction score
three words...

Netbook and easy tether. I use exchange for email, so having outlook on my NetBook rules.

Plus I can check email, browse the web, etc from the phone...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

NinaBelle

Reaction score
I, personally, love my lapdock....it's light, portable, and great for quick browsing or replying to tons of e-mails when you don't feel like starting up or lug around a normal laptop.

devils3023

Reaction score

Couldn't agree with you more! I love my lapdock as I take it to school with me and it allows me to leave my bulkier sony vaio safely at home. It is very compact, great build quality, excellent battery life and keeps my phone charged. My campus has full wireless-n coverage so speeds are pretty good (when they aren't having stability issues) and is able to handle multitasking well. My only gripe is that the keys are a bit small for some reason, and the trackpad is too large as your palms are likely to touch it while typing. I think it's a very innovative product and hope Moto continues to improve it with software updates to webtop.

devils3023

Reaction score
three words...

Netbook and easy tether. I use exchange for email, so having outlook on my NetBook rules.

Plus I can check email, browse the web, etc from the phone...

Netbooks and tethering both require separate data plans where as the lapdock does not. To those of us who have a need for it, it is a great product. If you don't have a need for it or prefer other options (netbooks, tethering, laptop etc...) then your not going to see the point of it. To each their own. Personally, I don't see a reason why anyone with a bionic would purchase, and pay extra each month for a netbook when they could get the lapdock.

Reaction score
Netbooks and tethering both require separate data plans where as the lapdock does not. To those of us who have a need for it, it is a great product. If you don't have a need for it or prefer other options (netbooks, tethering, laptop etc...) then your not going to see the point of it. To each their own. Personally, I don't see a reason why anyone with a bionic would purchase, and pay extra each month for a netbook when they could get the lapdock.

Already had the netbook, so didnt purchase it. I wouldnt see the point in buying the lapdock when I already have a netbook.

EasyTether doesnt require additional charges monthly.

devils3023

Reaction score
Already had the netbook, so didnt purchase it. I wouldnt see the point in buying the lapdock when I already have a netbook.

Wasnt attacking your for having a netbook, just speaking generally. Your case is different since you already had it before bionic. But for people who dont have one and just got the bionic a netbook will be a tough sell.

As for "easy tethering" im not gonna get into the ethical debate on that and risks involved. Official vzw tethering costs extra.

GBH2

Reaction score

It is a little unfair to criticize the lapdock because it is possible to steal the tethering data and not pay for a plan. The real bonus of the lapdock is "legitimately" getting to use the data connection on a larger screen. We could all go and steal high end laptops and say that is better and cheaper than the lapdock too.

devils3023

Reaction score
It is a little unfair to criticize the lapdock because it is possible to steal the tethering data and not pay for a plan. The real bonus of the lapdock is "legitimately" getting to use the data connection on a larger screen. We could all go and steal high end laptops and say that is better and cheaper than the lapdock too.

+1

ice456789

Reaction score
Having never used it I cannot comment on its quality. However the price is enough to keep me from being interested. It's a low res screen with a battery and a keyboard. It probably costs them about $140 to make. I think at $200 msrp it would be a great deal and a lot of us would have one. I'm not saying any of you overpaid or that it's not worth $300. Moto is the only company that makes them and can charge whatever they want. I just think it's too expensive for mass appeal.

I've also read a bunch of reviews knocking it for build quality, especially the chicklet keys. I'd be interested to hear if those of you who actually own one feel the same about the build quality.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
For me I dont hate it, but like the above post....I dont like the price. I forgot about the internet connection tho. Factor that in and its a nice accessory. AT&T should have never required a tethering plan for the Atrix. Thats where the lapdock is a big plus for the Bionic.

Like some have said on other threads....with these phones you also should factor in the carrier. Thats why one should always chose carrier first, phone 2nd.

devils3023

Reaction score
Having never used it I cannot comment on its quality. However the price is enough to keep me from being interested. It's a low res screen with a battery and a keyboard. It probably costs them about $140 to make. I think at $200 msrp it would be a great deal and a lot of us would have one. I'm not saying any of you overpaid or that it's not worth $300. Moto is the only company that makes them and can charge whatever they want. I just think it's too expensive for mass appeal.

I've also read a bunch of reviews knocking it for build quality, especially the chicklet keys. I'd be interested to hear if those of you who actually own one feel the same about the build quality.

I agree that $300 is a bit steep, but I was able to snag mine for $225 using my corp. discount (even though vzw exempts the lapdock from the discount). The screen is not low res, it is very crisp and clear with a resolution of 1366 x 768 I believe.

As for build quality it is actually quite impressive. It has a solid feel to it and a nice brushed aluminum/metal chassis. The keys are a bit smaller than standard but I don't find them to be low quality at all. My only issues are why they made the keys smaller in the first place and that the trackpad is over sized. Your palms can accidentally touch it while typing and move the cursor but you can disable the trackpad by tapping the white led in its upper left corner. I did notice that my spacebar is slightly bowed in the middle, like it's only connected on the ends, but it still works fine. It is likely just a minor defect and not a reflection of build quality, but I will be exchanging it for a new one none the less.