Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

lapdock100.jpg

Today Motorola announced a new accessory for your Android devices – the Motorola Lapdock 100. The Motorola Lapdock 100 is compatible with the manufacturers premier web-top enable devices like the Droid Bionic, Atrix 2, Photon 4G, and future devices to be named.

According to the press release, “At a mere 2.2lbs (less than 1Kg), Motorola LAPDOCK 100 is designed to be as mobile as its owners’ lives. Compact enough to carry in a back-pack or briefcase, use in the office, in the classroom, at a café or on the couch at home, the device’s up to five hour* battery charges the phone so a user never loses their freedom to be mobile.”

The Motorola Lapdock 100 will be available on October 17[SUP]th[/SUP] for AT&T, and later in the quarter for Sprint and Verizon Wireless. No word or announcement was given for T-Mobile, but we hope they are in the pipeline. Another thing that was missing was “price”. Hopefully, it’s not outrageous, but we do understand it’s almost like an actual laptop – sort of – well in a way.

Full press release:

Making Your Smartphone Even Smarter

New Motorola LAPDOCK™100 Coming Soon to Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and AT&T

Motorola Mobility today introduces the latest smart companion device for its premier line of webtop-enabled smartphones with the arrival of the Motorola LAPDOCK™ 100. Unleashing the full-scale power of select Motorola devices, the new Motorola LAPDOCK 100 gives consumers the ability to reach the ultimate smart mode, play mode, or productivity mode.

Equipped with a bright 10.1 inch high resolution screen, high quality audio, large ergonomically-slanted keyboard with dedicated Android™ keys, touch-pad, multi-tasking capabilities, and desktop-class tabbed web browsing using Wi-Fi or the smartphone’s data plan, the innovative companion device is now more affordable, lightweight, and intuitive.

Motorola LAPDOCK 100 supports full multi-tasking – making it easy to respond to an incoming text or take a call while browsing the web, using any one of the thousands of Android™ apps available, viewing pictures, or listening to music.

Owners of supported Motorola webtop-enabled smartphones can view multiple windows simultaneously, watch or share their favorite movie, type long emails or text messages, and even create full documents with a new keyboard and integrated two-finger scroll touch-pad. Motorola LAPDOCK 100 with webtop includes a recently updated full Firefox® browser and Adobe™ FLASH™, delivering broad compatibility across more content and more sites. Work documents can be viewed using the popular PDF format, edited and shared using QuickOffice™ or Google® Docs, or even printed to a long list of supported printers through the integrated MOTOPRINT™ application.

Motorola LAPDOCK 100 also includes a PC-like File Manager, making it convenient and intuitive to view, copy, paste, move or delete files on your smartphone or its integrated SD card. And if more space is needed, the device’s two USB ports support USB storage, so hard drives or thumb drives can be used to back-up or transfer content such as personal pictures, video, or data to and from your phone.

At a mere 2.2lbs (less than 1Kg), Motorola LAPDOCK 100 is designed to be as mobile as its owners’ lives. Compact enough to carry in a back-pack or briefcase, use in the office, in the classroom, at a café or on the couch at home, the device’s up to five hour* battery charges the phone so a user never loses their freedom to be mobile.
Motorola LAPDOCK 100 is compatible with multiple Motorola smartphones, including Motorola ATRIX™ 2, PHOTON™ 4G, and DROID BIONIC by Motorola.** It will also be compatible with future Motorola webtop-enabled devices.

The Motorola LAPDOCK 100 will be available online at AT&T on 10/17. It will also be available through Verizon Wireless and Sprint later this quarter.
For more information on Motorola LAPDOCK™ 100, visit www.motorola.com/lapdock100.

*Battery life dependant on adjusted screen brightness, speaker volume and other factors.

**Software update may be required for optimized experience.

Certain features, services and applications are regional and network dependent and may not be available in all areas; additional terms, conditions and /or charges may apply.

All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice or obligation. Contact your service provider for details.

Motorola

GBH2

Reaction score
This is going to cost an arm and a leg. Shame, it looks nice too.

Looks great! I love my lapdock but it could definitely be improved, it looks like they fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the original.

The press release says " the innovative companion device is now more affordable, lightweight, and intuitive."so hopefully it won't be that expensive

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I love my lapdock but it could definitely be improved, it looks like they fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the original.

The press release says " the innovative companion device is now more affordable, lightweight, and intuitive."so hopefully it won't be that expensive
If it's $200 or less then it's affordable. If it cost more....not so much. But it looks nice.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If it's $200 or less then it's affordable. If it cost more....not so much. But it looks nice.

Right, basically an underpowered and under-featured netbook (but maybe not-so-fast with ICS) and the price should reflect that. For surfing and other browsing, this might be something I look into as opposed to buying a netbook - Android for that might be even better. If I don't have to pay a tether charge, it's also a leg-up up over a tablet (which, again, because of the keyboard this is still tempting).

That said, a quality build with a good keyboard and LCD screen would probably cost in the neighborhood of $100, and an extended battery might be another $50. That's cost, and very rough estimates, but I think you'd be looking at at least $250 retail. Of course, it will cost much more, probably more like $400+. I don't think under $200 is realistic unless the build and component quality are junk.

I'd say you could probably give it a year, and either Google or a developer will come-up with something to make this work with a Chrome OS laptop.

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
most netbooks are underfeatured unless you pay an arm and a leg, this looks alot better than the current gen lapdock, and affordable would be less expensive than what they have now, unless they plan on dropping the price of the current netbook and put this is in price point.

200 would be nice, 250 is probably more like it, I really really hope 400+ doesn't happen as I might as well buy an asus netbook like this Newegg.com - ASUS VX6-PU17-BK Black Intel Atom D525(1.80GHz) Dual Core 12.1" WXGA 2GB DDR3 Memory 250GB HDD NetBook for 150 more

Cyberpolice

Reaction score
It looks nice. However, using my phone should be enough to send email and work on document without paying an extra 200+ usd. How much extra stuff we need to use/buy to be productive?

Sent from my AK47 Droid X using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's a nice surfing option if you need something portable with a keyboard...In that regard, it's competition is basically something like the Asus slider or transformer, which would only have a wifi connection (unless you illegal tether). So in theory, anything under $400 is competitive, with the advantage over a netbook being you get hi-speed mobile connectivity for free.

Otherwise, you can set-up a decent LCD monitor with keyboard/mouse for $100-$120.