1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Motorola Announces Lapdock 100 for Verizon, AT&T and Sprint

Discussion in 'Android News' started by wicked, Oct 11, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Today Motorola announced a new accessory for your Android devices – the Motorola Lapdock 100. The Motorola Lapdock 100 is compatible with the manufacturers premier web-top enable devices like the Droid Bionic, Atrix 2, Photon 4G, and future devices to be named.

According to the press release, “At a mere 2.2lbs (less than 1Kg), Motorola LAPDOCK 100 is designed to be as mobile as its owners’ lives. Compact enough to carry in a back-pack or briefcase, use in the office, in the classroom, at a café or on the couch at home, the device’s up to five hour* battery charges the phone so a user never loses their freedom to be mobile.”

The Motorola Lapdock 100 will be available on October 17[SUP]th[/SUP] for AT&T, and later in the quarter for Sprint and Verizon Wireless. No word or announcement was given for T-Mobile, but we hope they are in the pipeline. Another thing that was missing was “price”. Hopefully, it’s not outrageous, but we do understand it’s almost like an actual laptop – sort of – well in a way.

Full press release:

Motorola
  2. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

This is going to cost an arm and a leg. Shame, it looks nice too.
  3. GBH2

GBH2 New Member

Looks great! I love my lapdock but it could definitely be improved, it looks like they fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the original.

The press release says " the innovative companion device is now more affordable, lightweight, and intuitive."so hopefully it won't be that expensive
  4. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

If it's $200 or less then it's affordable. If it cost more....not so much. But it looks nice.
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Right, basically an underpowered and under-featured netbook (but maybe not-so-fast with ICS) and the price should reflect that. For surfing and other browsing, this might be something I look into as opposed to buying a netbook - Android for that might be even better. If I don't have to pay a tether charge, it's also a leg-up up over a tablet (which, again, because of the keyboard this is still tempting).

That said, a quality build with a good keyboard and LCD screen would probably cost in the neighborhood of $100, and an extended battery might be another $50. That's cost, and very rough estimates, but I think you'd be looking at at least $250 retail. Of course, it will cost much more, probably more like $400+. I don't think under $200 is realistic unless the build and component quality are junk.

I'd say you could probably give it a year, and either Google or a developer will come-up with something to make this work with a Chrome OS laptop.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

most netbooks are underfeatured unless you pay an arm and a leg, this looks alot better than the current gen lapdock, and affordable would be less expensive than what they have now, unless they plan on dropping the price of the current netbook and put this is in price point.

200 would be nice, 250 is probably more like it, I really really hope 400+ doesn't happen as I might as well buy an asus netbook like this Newegg.com - ASUS VX6-PU17-BK Black Intel Atom D525(1.80GHz) Dual Core 12.1" WXGA 2GB DDR3 Memory 250GB HDD NetBook for 150 more
  7. Cyberpolice

Cyberpolice New Member

It looks nice. However, using my phone should be enough to send email and work on document without paying an extra 200+ usd. How much extra stuff we need to use/buy to be productive?

Sent from my AK47 Droid X using Tapatalk
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

It's a nice surfing option if you need something portable with a keyboard...In that regard, it's competition is basically something like the Asus slider or transformer, which would only have a wifi connection (unless you illegal tether). So in theory, anything under $400 is competitive, with the advantage over a netbook being you get hi-speed mobile connectivity for free.

Otherwise, you can set-up a decent LCD monitor with keyboard/mouse for $100-$120.
Search tags for this page

how to use lapdock 100 with new devices

is the lapdock compatable with droid x

virgin lapdock