Don't Understand the Intense Dislike for the Bionic Lapdock

ncridgerunner

Reaction score
My lapdock works very well to meet my needs. When we travel to Myrtle Beach the lapdock allows us to surf the web and keep up with email. The speeds are not blazing but it saves $50+ a month for internet access that would not be frequently used. I do not use it at home because it is more convenient to use my laptop with the programs I use frequently and the speeds are better. I find the lapdock is more convenient to use than my wife's android tablet. Also when I am waiting on my family while they are shopping or have a few minutes to spare while in the car, it is really convenient to use the lapdock. I also use the hdmi cable to watch Netflix on the tv. The 3G service at the beach makes the video a little grainy especially during fast action scenes but it is not too bad. I look forward to getting 4g lte in the Asheville area to see what a difference this service will make.

Last edited:

devils3023

Reaction score
Couldn't agree with you more! I love my lapdock as I take it to school with me and it allows me to leave my bulkier sony vaio safely at home. It is very compact, great build quality, excellent battery life and keeps my phone charged. My campus has full wireless-n coverage so speeds are pretty good (when they aren't having stability issues) and is able to handle multitasking well. My only gripe is that the keys are a bit small for some reason, and the trackpad is too large as your palms are likely to touch it while typing. I think it's a very innovative product and hope Moto continues to improve it with software updates to webtop.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
My lapdock works very well to meet my needs. When we travel to Myrtle Beach the lapdock allows us to surf the web and keep up with email. The speeds are not blazing but it saves $50+ a month for internet access that would not be frequently used. I do not use it at home because it is more convenient to use my laptop with the programs I use frequently and the speeds are better. I find the lapdock is more convenient to use than my wife's android tablet. Also when I am waiting on my family while they are shopping or have a few minutes to spare while in the car, it is really convenient to use the lapdock. I also use the hdmi cable to watch Netflix on the tv. The 3G service at the beach makes the video a little grainy especially during fast action scenes but it is not too bad. I look forward to getting 4g lte in the Asheville area to see what a difference this service will make.

You bring up some good points. There has been so much anti-lapdock talk going around. If I didn't need a new laptop, I'd probably end up getting it. At first, being able to watch tv (Slingbox) on my d1 I was crazy about, and the screen size was, well, ya know, small.. Now with the Bionic, it's better but I find myself now adjusting to it and wantig even a bigger screen. I won't ever get a bigger screen than the Bionic has, just a personal preference. I thought the droid X screen was to big, but pictures and numbers don't do either any service. You need to see/use it in person.

gdbjr

Reaction score
The only issue I have is lack of memory on the phone to run the browser on the lapdock. At best I have about 30% to work with so I can only open one tab while in the lapdock and it can't be a very intensive web page else firefox will crash and/or lock the whole system up.

devils3023

Reaction score
The only issue I have is lack of memory on the phone to run the browser on the lapdock. At best I have about 30% to work with so I can only open one tab while in the lapdock and it can't be a very intensive web page else firefox will crash and/or lock the whole system up.

While mine shows about 30% free memory too, I have never had any out of memory issues, crashing or freezing. I've had multiple windows open several times and at one point I was streaming a video, had two other windows open and was composing an email at the same time without any problems. The lowest my memory has ever gotten is around 15% and is easily increased by ending some apps on the phone (like facebook etc...) Even with multiple windows open the amount of memory taken up by the firefox browser has been no more than like 13%. I will try later today at school to run out of memory and post back my results.

gdbjr

Reaction score
While mine shows about 30% free memory too, I have never had any out of memory issues, crashing or freezing. I've had multiple windows open several times and at one point I was streaming a video, had two other windows open and was composing an email at the same time without any problems. The lowest my memory has ever gotten is around 15% and is easily increased by ending some apps on the phone (like facebook etc...) Even with multiple windows open the amount of memory taken up by the firefox browser has been no more than like 13%. I will try later today at school to run out of memory and post back my results.

Sorry what I meant to type was 20%. Right now after plugging in my phone to the lapdock I have 18% Free and I haven't even opened up firefox yet.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
To me it's just am extra piece of hardware. I have a desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. I personally don't see the need for it. I'm already trying to figure out how to balance time with the tablet and laptop.
It's a great piece of electronics though, and a great idea, but I don't see paying that much when I could get a full NetBook or even a full laptop for that.

ice456789

Reaction score
Memory Free is misleading. If your stats say you have 4% memory free that's not necessarily worse than having 90% memory free. Free memory is unused (and therefor wasted) memory. Don't worry if plugging into the lapdock takes your free memory down, only worry if you have 0% free and are experiencing issues.

devils3023

Reaction score
Sorry what I meant to type was 20%. Right now after plugging in my phone to the lapdock I have 18% Free and I haven't even opened up firefox yet.

Sounds like you need to close out some things on your phone. I typically have 28-30% free after docking the phone and yet to have any memory issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

kjlued

Reaction score
I know this post is a few months old, so sorry if it upsets anyone for the revisit.

I agree the lapdock is a great device but not at the original $300 price.
$300 for a device that is basically just a keyboard and screen and that is useful only as long as you own a bionic without modifying it (so maybe 1-2 years for most people) just was not worth it for me.

I said I would get it if the price dropped to $200 and it did plus I got a 25% discount for having a corporate account bringing it to $150.
For that, it is well worth the price. It is a lot easier to travel with then a laptop and you can use it everywhere you can use a laptop plus a whole lot more.

I have watched netflix in 3g near flawlessly and it suits all the basic internet needs.

A couple wishes for future versions is a webcam, touch screen, its own memory and a way to hook it to all phones without cords (i.e. make the dock piece interchangeable).

Also can you fix the damn space bar please? I don't hit it dead center every time.

To the OP, Asheville has 4G now if you did not already know. It is is a little spotty here in Hendersonville where I live and nonexistent in Polk County where I work but it should be good where you are at.