Does VZW really offer any discount/incentive for upgrading 3G to 4G?

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
I keeping reading in these forums that there is such an incentive, anywhere from $30 to $100 for upgrading from a 3G to a 4G phone. But when I go to the Verizon stores, or call Customer Service, they say there isn't. Today was the third time I've asked, and it's getting frustrating.
Am I asking wrong? I'm about to upgrade my 3G Droid X to either the Razr Maxx or the SGS3; each person I've asked said they've looked it up and don't see anything.
If it doesn't exist, then fine; but I'm curious as to how some people get offered it, and others don't.

ROLLTIDE1

Reaction score
use lots of data if you are on an unlimited plan and they will give you a very early upgrade

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
use lots of data if you are on an unlimited plan and they will give you a very early upgrade

If he's on 3G, that could backfire tremendously. If you're on 3G, and go over 2GB of data and you're on a congested tower, they'll just throttle you until the tower is no longer congested. If you make a habit of that, they'll mark your account for "network optimization" and keep an eye until you can go one billing cycle without going over 2GB.

I'm not sure why they'd be so hot to move you over to LTE in your scenario - care to explain why that would work?

I haven't heard about any deals myself. For a while, they were doing a "double the data" promotion for LTE smartphones, but that's over now, and it was only for tiered plans. I don't think there's any secret discount going on right now that they're not telling you about. There's a decent selection of phones at reduced price right now though (Rezound and Galaxy Nexus, for instance). Unless there's a promo going on, or you have a corporate discount, there's not really a lot of special savings to be had. Just make sure you upgrade before the deadline if you have unlimited data (either 3G or LTE).

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
They do have promotions from time to time that offer a discount or early upgrade if switching from a 3G to a 4G phone. But it is nothing more than a sales push targeting 3G phone users. Nothing more.

Beka27

Reaction score
I called last night and ordered two Blue S3s (16 each). I received $100 off each phone. I had a New Every 2 starting on our upgrade date (yesterday) for $50 online, but for some reason the really kind rep gave me $100, or maybe it was supposed to be $100 and the website was wrong? I also asked for a discount for upgrading from 3G to 4G. My brother got a $50 discount for upgrading from his DX and he was able to get the upgrade fee credited back to his account next month. I had no luck with the upgrade fee, but was more than pleased with $100 off each phone.

I spoke with a Ken, my brother spoke with a Melissa, both at 877-228-5774. I'd keep calling until you can get the discount. It's definitely out there. When I called, I didn't ask. I told the rep there IS a discount for 3G>4G. He clicked away a minute and found it, or found something that would work...

Email copy/paste below (I deleted the boring features list to shorten...)

Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB in Blue1$199.99
UPGRADE FEE$30.00
Discount - New every two-$100.00

UPGRADE FEE$30.00
Discount - Customer Qualified-$100.00

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I called last night and ordered two Blue S3s (16 each). I received $100 off each phone. I had a New Every 2 starting on our upgrade date (yesterday) for $50 online, but for some reason the really kind rep gave me $100, or maybe it was supposed to be $100 and the website was wrong? I also asked for a discount for upgrading from 3G to 4G. My brother got a $50 discount for upgrading from his DX and he was able to get the upgrade fee credited back to his account next month. I had no luck with the upgrade fee, but was more than pleased with $100 off each phone.

I spoke with a Ken, my brother spoke with a Melissa, both at 877-228-5774. I'd keep calling until you can get the discount. It's definitely out there. When I called, I didn't ask. I told the rep there IS a discount for 3G>4G. He clicked away a minute and found it, or found something that would work...

Email copy/paste below (I deleted the boring features list to shorten...)

UPGRADE FEE$30.00

Discount - New every two-$100.00

UPGRADE FEE$30.00

Discount - Customer Qualified-$100.00

Wow you got lucky on that deal. I'm sure everyone is gonna be calling trying to get the same deal now. And I am sure most will not be that successful.

Beka27

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really luck of the draw. Yesterday was the first day both my husband and I were upgrade eligible (I had wanted to wait to take advantage of my last NE2), and I had heard whispers of a 3G to 4G discount. All I can say is I got a super awesome rep the first time around. (Like I said, I did ask politely for an upgrade fee bill credit and that was a no-go, but I wasn't gonna push it.)

OP
Jmoore1701

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'm pretty sure I've used my last NE2 discount, but I called the 877 number anyway. I didn't get Melissa or Ken. Anyway, to make a short story short, no discounts available.
Oh, well, I'm perfectly willing to pay $200 for my SGS3, so it's not a big deal. I just didn't want to miss out on something if it was available.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
If he's on 3G, that could backfire tremendously. If you're on 3G, and go over 2GB of data and you're on a congested tower, they'll just throttle you until the tower is no longer congested. If you make a habit of that, they'll mark your account for "network optimization" and keep an eye until you can go one billing cycle without going over 2GB.

I'm not sure why they'd be so hot to move you over to LTE in your scenario - care to explain why that would work?

I haven't heard about any deals myself. For a while, they were doing a "double the data" promotion for LTE smartphones, but that's over now, and it was only for tiered plans. I don't think there's any secret discount going on right now that they're not telling you about. There's a decent selection of phones at reduced price right now though (Rezound and Galaxy Nexus, for instance). Unless there's a promo going on, or you have a corporate discount, there's not really a lot of special savings to be had. Just make sure you upgrade before the deadline if you have unlimited data (either 3G or LTE).

One of my lines that had a 3G phone on it averaged 8 gigs a month ....that was the line that got a free upgrade to the Razr Maxx, 5 months early. Its never been throttled either.

nikecar

Reaction score
I got a text today to do an early upgrade to a 4G phone and i'd get $100 off. Gave me a number to call.

However I just did an early upgrade (I wasn't due until next year) and the wife just upgraded (feature phone though) in

SAINT_BIG_O

Reaction score
I guess they do give you a discount for upgrading from 3G to 4G. I called and preordered my SG3 and the representative told me that I qualified for a $150 discount. I thought it was some sort of mistake. I had to ask him twice if this was for the NEW Samsung Galaxy S3. Once I get the phone in my hand, I'm going to call back and fight the $30 upgrade fee. I tried doing it then while I was on the phone but the rep was like "Are you really going to complain about $30 when I just gave you $150 off of a phone?" My invoice is copied below:

Item Description Quantity Your Price

Samsung Galaxy S III 16GB in Blue 1 $199.99
UPGRADE FEE $30.00
Discount - Customer Qualified -$150.00