Does it cost money to switch to 4G?

B

budmonster

I'm currently on a 1400 minute plan with unlimited text and data. I have Droid X2 that I was going to swap pretty much for TBOLT cause I want a cheap 4G phone until my upgrade in July. There is no SIM card that comes with it.

If I do this trade, do I just take the TBOLT to VZW and they give me a free SIM card? Will doing this effect my contract or will I still have unlimited data?

Reaction score
Yes, you can take the phone in to Verizon and they will put a new Sim card in and activate the phone on your line for you. It will not impact your account our contact in any way since you are not using any upgrades or whatever.

It would not surprise me if they charged a little for the Sim card but personally, I have never had to pay for a Sim card. I have moved phones from line to line and even given my phone to a friend and was never charged for a card.......but I can't say for sure that they will not charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will keep unlimited data. The replacement SIM card costs a few bucks I believe. This is assuming you're in a 4G area.

OP
B

budmonster

You will keep unlimited data. The replacement SIM card costs a few bucks I believe. This is assuming you're in a 4G area.

i belive pittsburgh, pa is 4g for a while now?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then it should work. Nothing will change on your account. Just pick up a SIM and pop it in and activate it. They should be able to do everything in store. Just be sure they keep your unlimited data intact.

OP
B

budmonster

one more quick question as i always wondered about this and seriously contemplating it. if i wanted to cancel my vzw contract would i pay an etf fee for each line or just a $350 one time fee for everything? Also, does the EFT go down each month, the closer you get to you contract end date.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe it would be for each line you have under contract. And I think the ETF is a flat fee. Not 100% sure as I never plan on leaving VZW. Also you mouth need to pay full price for any phone subsidized by the carrier. It can get expensive quickly.

OP
B

budmonster

I believe it would be for each line you have under contract. And I think the ETF is a flat fee. Not 100% sure as I never plan on leaving VZW. Also you mouth need to pay full price for any phone subsidized by the carrier. It can get expensive quickly.

i just wish they would allow me an early upgrade. i mean they would be getting $300 from me and another 2 year contract. i have DX2 and i dont think I can wait until july to get a new phone, lol.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately carriers lose money giving early upgrades. So pay full retail for a phone if you want to upgrade whenever you want or be sure to pick a solid phone whenever you do upgrade.

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the ETF is prorated and goes down a set amount each month. If I remember correctly, you're still left with something like a $120 fee even if you cancel in the last month of your contact.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And SIM card should be free. I activated a friend's spare charge while waiting for my new phone to get here and they didn't charge me for a new SIM.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Nyobie

Reaction score
Each contract should be read closely for the ETF. They can change and they differ from carrier to carrier and also can vary between phone models.

Consequently, if for some reason your plan is changed, VZ can give you back the Unlim Data Plan if it got removed accidentally.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I just hope that they will continue to honor unl. data when upgrading at the end of next year, when my contract is up. I feel lucky to be one of the last people to get an unlimited data plan and want to hold onto it for as long as possible.

VZW_CS

Reaction score
I'm currently on a 1400 minute plan with unlimited text and data. I have Droid X2 that I was going to swap pretty much for TBOLT cause I want a cheap 4G phone until my upgrade in July. There is no SIM card that comes with it.If I do this trade, do I just take the TBOLT to VZW and they give me a free SIM card? Will doing this effect my contract or will I still have unlimited data?
Yes, once you get the Thunderbolt you can visit one of our VZW stores and get a SIM card for your device for free. You may want to call the store before going to make sure they have SIM cards available. Visit Store Locator - Verizon Wireless to find the nearest store.Hope this answers your question.VZW_CS^JB

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Sometimes if you ask them that if you extend your contract by 2 years from the date it is supposed to end, will they give you an early upgrade?

They have for me in the past.