DO you need boot loader unlocked to change launchers?

kormath

Reaction score
Please move this thread if needed.

I just got a warranty replacement Maxx HD with 9.20.1. I've read other threads that say my phone can be rooted but the boot loader cannot be unlocked.

I don't care about installing ROMs, I just want to install a different launcher.

Can I do this with a locked BL? Sorry if this is a repeat question, I wasn't able to find this in a forum search.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Please move this thread if needed.

I just got a warranty replacement Maxx HD with 9.20.1. I've read other threads that say my phone can be rooted but the boot loader cannot be unlocked.

I don't care about installing ROMs, I just want to install a different launcher.

Can I do this with a locked BL? Sorry if this is a repeat question, I wasn't able to find this in a forum search.

You can change launchers w/o having to unlock bootloader. You're good to go.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Many choices out there too depending on what you are looking for. Check out Apex, Nova or Holo for a more customizable stock style replacement. Then there are others like Everything Home that bring a plethora of search options and app organization to your home screens. There are others and I am sure people will chime in.

OP
K

kormath

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had the nova launcher on my previous phone and loved it. Off to root I go :)

snowman

Reaction score
That's funny I tried to kill that bug on my screen!! good one